cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soapy
Expert
Message 21 of 193

Re: Multicast Settings for 3rd Party Routers may not work

i read somewhere on the forums the other day that someone got the channels working by also lowering the MTU on the router to below 1492, i think he said he tried 1450 and 1490 and they worked, i dont know if this will help you but i thought it was worth a mention. i dont have a tv package so i dont know for sure, i just read it

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 193

Hey Colin_London,

I'm doing the same as you, however I've got a small unmanaged GigE switch hanging off of the HH's GigE port and my NAS hangs off of that. One of the GigE ports also supplies my homeplugs and both YV boxes in other rooms work nicely on BT Sport/900
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 193

I've ended up removing the ASUS RT-N66U and just using the HH4 now as not sure if this was causing some other issues

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 193

update:

found the following link for configuring multicast on tp-link routers 

also found that your router must be able to do the following for multicast

For an end user connected via Openreach GEA (FTTC and FTTH)
• The Residential Gateway will support
– IPoE for multicast traffic and PPPoE for BB traffic
– VLAN tag ID of 0 or no VLAN tag ID for multicast and BB traffic
– Fork IGMP requests up multicast and BB paths

For an end user connected to an MSAN (WBC copper)
• The Residential Gateway will support a dual VC architecture
– Accept TV Connect multicast traffic on ATM VP/VC 0/35 with IPoE and broadband traffic on ATM VP/VC 0/38 with PPPoE
– Fork IGMP requests up multicast and broadband paths

from these BT Wholesale TV Connect and Generic Ethernet Access Multicast

IGMP should v3 and will be in range from 225.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 

thisisgil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 193

This is potentially really helpful - thanks a lot!

I'll have a stab at configuring my tomato (dd-wrt derivative) router with that this evening and report back. Bridging a HH just seems like a clunky and unacceptable solution tbh.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 193

@thisisgil wrote:

This is potentially really helpful - thanks a lot!

I'll have a stab at configuring my tomato (dd-wrt derivative) router with that this evening and report back. Bridging a HH just seems like a clunky and unacceptable solution tbh.

Which router are you using as on the ASUS u have some options, but you have to allow both IPTV and normal internet through the same port

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 193

looks like Billion routers might work with this, I will get one on trial from amazon and test....

here is an IPTV config guide for them that I'm sure could be adapted:

http://www.internode.on.net/support/guides/fetchtv_iptv/billion_routers/billion_7800nl/

this is the one i ordered on amazon:

"Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit"

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 193

@zarf2007 wrote:

looks like Billion routers might work with this, I will get one on trial from amazon and test....

here is an IPTV config guide for them that I'm sure could be adapted:

http://www.internode.on.net/support/guides/fetchtv_iptv/billion_routers/billion_7800nl/

this is the one i ordered on amazon:

"Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit"

Remember it needs to be set to multi and not single service otherwise on-demand players will not work

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 193

I've a Billion 7800N and today , with Billions help, managed to get both BBC iPlayer (via the Guide) and channel 507 (BBC Sport 1 SD) working perfectly.

The solution for the Billion was to add another profile (Pure Bridge) to the EWAN port along with the PPPoE profile. Save settings & restart. I've also enabled IGMP proxy & snooping but I'm not sure of the relevance of that but will test that further.

I need to do some further testing just to be sure - wife watching TV currently - but this looks very positive.

It's a fair assumption that if my 7800N works OK that other , later models have a good chance of working as well.

Billion support is of the highest calibre & they're very responsive to problems with their routers.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 193

@TimCurtis wrote:

I've a Billion 7800N and today , with Billions help, managed to get both BBC iPlayer (via the Guide) and channel 507 (BBC Sport 1 SD) working perfectly.

The solution for the Billion was to add another profile (Pure Bridge) to the EWAN port along with the PPPoE profile. Save settings & restart. I've also enabled IGMP proxy & snooping but I'm not sure of the relevance of that but will test that further.

I need to do some further testing just to be sure - wife watching TV currently - but this looks very positive.

It's a fair assumption that if my 7800N works OK that other , later models have a good chance of working as well.

Billion support is of the highest calibre & they're very responsive to problems with their routers.

Do you subscribe to BTV as well, if so does that work?

ASUS are rubbish with their support, been told may get an answer tomorrow - if it not compatible it will be going back to pc world for replacement for different suitable model or money back

0 Ratings