Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gavhugill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Multicast enabled at exchange but can't get bt tv entertainment package

hi

I have been trying to move to bt tv and after going thru all the options, entering lots of detail and having the line checked, I am told I can only receive free view. Disappointed to say the least. Checking online I can see the cabinet has multicast available so I am also rather confused. Has anyone else had similar issues?

If this is really true, why do bt spend so much on marketing when they can't supply what they promote?

Thanks
Gavin
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
jam2000
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Multicast enabled at exchange but can't get bt tv entertainment package

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Put your number on here then confirm the results but remove your number.

0 Ratings
Gavhugill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi the link above confirms that the cabinet has both fibre and copper multicast available.

So I am still a little confused as to why I can't not receive to services from bt?

Thanks Gavin.
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Could be just a simple case of outdated records. I was in a similar position many years ago when I first tried to subscribe to the old BT Vision service, (computer said no, the line speed wasn't fast enough, although all checks said it actually was). Best ring BT and explain the situation, they will clarify things.

0 Ratings
Gavhugill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hi I have just been told that although I have speeds upto 21mb you need 30+mb to get the entertainment channels. Is this right or was I being fobbed off?

Thanks Gavin
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 6 of 12

I believe one HD channel requires around 10MB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

@Gavhugill wrote:
Hi I have just been told that although I have speeds upto 21mb you need 30+mb to get the entertainment channels. Is this right or was I being fobbed off?

You were being fobbed off by untrained overseas technical support reading from scripts and then making it up when the script has no answer. Smiley LOL 

BT will sell the TV Entertainment package to customers who have BT Infinity broadband along with Fibre Multicast availability. They will sell BT Infinity broadband to customers where the line is capable of supporting FTTC-VDSL or FTTP at speeds of at least 15Mbps. That ties in with my own measurements where a multicast HD channel uses approx 7.5Mbps (these will probably be variable bitrate) and the box allows you to view/watch two HD channels at the same time. If you want multiroom with two boxes then a faster minimum speed is required.

Is your current 21Mbps on Infinity or standard broadband? The entertainment channels are not available over standard broadband (ADSL) with Copper Multicast. Only a few sports channels are delivered that way, and normally only if Infinity isn't an option for you.

0 Ratings
Gavhugill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Hi thanks for the response. I would suggest I regularly get 17Mbps. I have infinity but only copper from the cabinet. For some reason there is a note on my account referencing faster broadband. However, I would guess that is something to do with some complaints I had with them regarding original statements of speed not being true. It's actually quite frustrating as I feel like the bt entertainment package would be good value (compared to sky). By the time they get their act together customers like I will have lost patience and moved lock stock to another provider, with the competition always increasing.
If you have any tips on how to speak to someone with appropriate knowledge, please do let me know!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

What is the FTTC clean A range minimum for your line from the BT Wholesale checker? If it's below 15Mbps then I suppose that might be a problem, though in that case I think they wouldn't normally sell you Infinity? If the minimum is below 15 then they sell FTTC to the customer as Faster Broadband which may not allow them to add certain TV options. Does your bill state an Infinity package?

Have you tried the number checker on the BT Consumer site? It should list your estimated speed range (the clean A range I think) and also tell you which TV options you can get.

You could try phoning the UK based Customer Options Team on 0800 800 030 and ask why you can't order TV Entertainment. As far as I know having Infinity and Fibre Multicast available should normally allow you to order it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Note that TV Entertainment now comes in one of three versions for new subscriptions, Starter, Plus or Max.
0 Ratings