cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rockintone
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

NEW BT Youview Box

I have been with BT TV for a number of years and my contract runs out next month.  Over all the service has been fine but the tech is dated now I am seriously considering moving over to Sky for the functionality of the Sky Q box.

My main gripe is the ability to only record two channels at once and the lack of UHD/4K/HDR without a 44mb connection (I get 30mb).

Has there been any word on a new BT box that is capable of recording more than two channels?

Just curious before I jump ship.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Rockintone
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: NEW BT Youview Box

Apologies for bumping this thread but keen to get some views.

When the now tv/new bt tv packages were hinted at in October last year it was also reported in the press about a new box at launch of the new packages.

0 Ratings
WelshPaul
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

If you only have a 30MB broadband connection and the 4K minimum requirement is 44MB then what use is any 4K box to you? Nobody knows when the new 4K box is going to be released but i'm confident it won't be anytime soon.

0 Ratings
Rockintone
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Yeah I know about the 44mb limit however the main issue is the ability to only record 2 channels at once. Sky Q offers 6 at once (I think) and Humax currently sells a Freeview box that you can record 4 at once.  That's were I think BT are way behind.

from the trusted reviews news in Oct 2019 :-

"According to a leak earlier this week, BT is expected to launch a new TV service early in 2020, alongside a new set-top box with new features and additional content sources.
As revealed to ISPreview, “credible sources” have provided info that suggests BT are readying a TV service for next year with a new Wi-Fi set-top box in tow.

Currently BT’s YouView 4K set-top box is the 1TB DTR-T4000 made by Humax. But it’s starting to show its age having come out in 2016. That set-top box is not capable of Wi-Fi connectivity (Internet is via ethernet only), and lacks the means to output in HDR, missing out on HDR10 and broadcast HLG capability.
Considering BT has pushed through HDR (although not quite in the fashion we thought it would), to not have a set-top box capable of outputting in 4K HDR would be an oversight."

Hence the reason I was asking

0 Ratings
Tyke987
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Error

0 Ratings
Tyke987
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Sorry. Meant to say middle of year and still no news. A bit like Amstrad computers in the old days.

0 Ratings