Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stereohaven
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

NOW TV to be recordable on BT TV boxes

Boom! 

I hope this is true: Seen It: NOW TV to be recordable on BT TV

"Today it was confirmed that customers will be able to record Now TV content, with the feature also going live in time for the 2019/20 Premier League season.

Stephen van Rooyen, UK CEO, Sky, said, “With Now TV at the heart of BT’s TV offering, Sky’s TV entertainment brands will be available to all UK consumers through every major pay TV service, and we also open up a new revenue stream for our business.”

Marc Allera, CEO of BT’s Consumer unit, said: “This extension of our partnership with Sky is great news for our customers, and is part of our commitment to provide our customers with the best service and content available."

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: NOW TV to be recordable on BT TV boxes

The great thing about good forums is finding support and help, the other great thing is people sharing information and knowledge, so thanks to @stereohaven for updating us all about this.

So this is great news, and it will be a great addition to BT TV for those of us who want it.

I think BT is really starting to bring it's whole TV experience together.

If I could through these forums or the mods on here pass one piece of information back to BT TV it would be this...

I think what people really want is "one box to rule them all"

We have never had so much choice when it comes to streaming and live TV, but with that has come multiple apps, accounts, log-ins, and subscriptions, TV boxes and TV Sticks... a world of choice but also a world of pain!

So BT, I think you could win here if you could offer "one box to rule them all", a BT TV service offering an "open" platform with simple layered subscription fees...

So BT TV provide the hardware, the "one box to rule them all", and maybe a basic free TV service comprising of Freeview channels when taken with a BT broadband account, but for people like myself... options to expand the TV service... Netflix, Amazon, NowTV, Music Streaming, OnDemand TV... simple, layered pricing, and ALL paid for through my BT account, one provider, one account, one point of customer service...

This BT is what I you could offer the crowded TV market.. you are already doing most of this... but you need new hardware... we need 4K HDR... and we need Dolby Vision.. at least supported by the hardware.

*** Edit ***

"one box to rule them all", an open platform, BUT an integrated platform, so collated search results, Guide, etc...

nostra999
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I am also very excited by the prospect of this 👍
0 Ratings
david1982
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Anyone know if it will be in HD or 720p as currently on my Smart TV
0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

@david1982

BT have not confirmed many details yet, but I think it is safe to say that it will be HD and not 720p.

The reason for saying this is that the NowTV service itself is planned to move from 720p to HD soon, hopefully by the end of the year.

Let's hope BT TV release some offical news soon!

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I'm sure 1080p HD will be available, NOW TV have been talking about it for a while, but I expect "full HD" to be an additonal charge.

No idea how much, but I suspect it will be a bolt on pack much like it is with BT TV. 

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Now TV does not have live TV on the YouView platform for the sake of a £15 HDMI stick you get 2 months free viewing as well, hardly a game changer really.  In fact if Now TV introduce recording to the YouView my bet is that you will also get some sort of recording on the stick ( either online like TVP or to the built in flash memory perhaps)

Now TV were supposed to make content in 1080 this year, although720p is infact 'HD' and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference in a lot of cases. ( I had Discovery on Prime for 2 months and that was 1080p compared to 720 on Now TV it was not really that much better IMHO)

There is a much bigger visible difference between SD and 720 than 720 and 1080 on my TV at least.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

@srpsrp the reason for the excitement on here is because as you say, NowTV on youvew does not have Live TV and you can't record.

But that's not what we are talking about here, what we are excited about is the NEW update that is coming to NowTV on BT youview... that IS going to have Live TV like Sky One, AND, now the latest news is that it will also be recordable... 2 big changes from the current situation, and the reason for the excitement! Smiley Happy

srpsrp
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Well I guess it's potentially exciting I can still use the NOW TV app even though I don't have a BT subscription anymore I wonder if that will make any difference.  I don't watch the live TV on the stick much because of all the adverts and they've made pausing and skipping them a bit tricky to say the least.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

It will mean one less box under the TV which is good. However if it follows the normal Sky protocol then any recordings made will only be visible whilst you have a current subscription to the service.

0 Ratings