cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomDal
Beginner
Message 1 of 28

NOWTV no subtitles

Very disappointed with new TV package. Specifically that the NOWTV provided app does not have subtitles for programmes that I know are subtitled as I have watched them previously on my old NOWTV box (which I have given away). Programmes I previously enjoyed with subtitles are Chernobyl (3 times) The Art of Drumming and Discovering Paul Simon as well as The Secret Life of Pets pt2. NOW TV say that there are no subtitles on any YouView box but this is not the case.

Page 12 of the BT TV user guide Accessibility tools, states: “If the broadcaster provides these features (i.e. subtitles) they’re available on ….. on-demand programmes etc . I called BT.Com Help and they raised V013/508707869552 which I believe has been closed but not to my satisfaction.

I’ve read the terms and conditions and legal stuff and think my consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act may have been breached (as a former BT employee I don’t want the company to continue selling services that don’t seem to have been properly researched)

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 2 of 28

Re: NOWTV no subtitles

Not sure what you're expecting to happen @TomDal ?

It's the responsibility of the app owner (NowTV) to provide subtitles within their app.  The platform supports it, but the app needs to specifically implement the subtitles themselves within the app.  Now TV have told you that subtitles aren't available on the Now TV app on YouView boxes - it's their responsibility to add them.

0 Ratings
monarchjock
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 28

Perhaps the TomDal would like BT to chase up NowTV to implement the facility. 

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 28

May I suggest you voice your opinions on the Now TV forum. Who knows, perhaps their chairman reads the posts. I know I would go ballistic, being a deaf old git.

https://community.nowtv.com/ 

0 Ratings
TomDal
Beginner
Message 5 of 28

Thanks for your response Darren. I'm hoping BT will resolve this with NOWTV to my satisfaction.

I'm now on my 5th or 6th YouView box from BT so know how they work. I feel its BTs responsibility to make customers aware that there is reduced functionality on any BT service, as appears to be the case with the new NOWTV app. but don't really care how its resolved,

regards,

Tom Dalgleish

0 Ratings
TomDal
Beginner
Message 6 of 28

MonarchJock,

thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I would like BT to do,

regards,

Tom Dalgleish

0 Ratings
TomDal
Beginner
Message 7 of 28

Carlusha,

thanks for your reply. I've been on to the, not very helpful, NOWTV forum as you suggested and they are pinging me back to BT complaints again,

regards,

Tom Dalgleish

0 Ratings
TomDal
Beginner
Message 8 of 28

Darren,

NOWTV say,

"Are you a BT customer? If you pay for your passes through BT, you'll need to to contact them

with any a/c queries or complaints, How to contact   BT"

So raised complaint ref: V013 / xxxxxxxxxxxx which is currently under investigation by BT.

regards,

Tom Dalgleish

0 Ratings
Surboy
Contributor
Message 9 of 28

This is definitely very annoying. I’ve had to find a workaround and use my tablet with the NowTV app to then Chromecast to my TV. Not as convenient but this way I can have the subtitles on. 

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 10 of 28

I've just checked with the product owners @TomDal - the Now TV content is delivered to the YouView box in a different format to content from other providers.  The YouView box doesn't currently support subtitles in that format, which is why the Now TV app doesn't currently offer them.  There is a plan for support to be added to the box, but it's going to be a few months at least before that is ready - most likely next year.  Now TV may come up with an alternative implementation in the meantime - we don't know.