Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ozsat
Expert
Message 1 of 53

Netflix 5.1 audio?

Go to solution

Is there no 5.1 audio available from Netflix?

5.1 is working through the Youview box as on the odd occasional BBC1HD uses it - it wakes up the lights on my amp.

But in th Netflix app  -  not only does the 5.1 icon not appear anyway as it does on other apps -  but it doesn't seem to play in 5.1 either.

For example - on my other apps for Toy Story 3  -  there is a 5.1 icon next to the HD icon - but only HD appears on the Youview box.

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings
52 REPLIES 52
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 53

Re: Netflix 5.1 audio?

Go to solution

I searched the net the other night and found that only some films broadcast 5.1, watching Skyfall my amp gave me Dolby surround pro logic II.

0 Ratings
JonUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 53

Go to solution

I noticed this when I first watched a film that you would have thought would have 5.1 audio. All I get is bog standard Pro-Logic II. When I watched films through the BT app it was proper 5.1 discrete.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 53

Go to solution

There doesn't seem to be unifrormity across all of Netflix's apps.

In the past I've experimented with the same film (which I know originally has a 5.1 soundtrack) played on Netflix in four different ways. PC (windows 8 app), PC (browser/Silverlight), LG Smart TV built in app and now Humax Youview box. What I found was that the same film would sometimes have 5.1 enabled on one platform but not the other.

I've found the LG smart TV has the most films.series with it enabled.

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 5 of 53

Go to solution

I wonder why nothing on BT  -  I know 5.1 works fine via the box.

I know Netflix recently added Dolby Digital Plus  -  which is incompatible with older Denon amps via HDMI

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 53

Go to solution

It is a known issue that the YouView Netflix app doesn't have 5.1 at the moment.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/netflix-q-and-a-nsf37cqofs9in

Q: Does the Netflix Player on YouView support surround sound?
A: The Netflix player on YouView doesn't currently support surround sound. If this changes we will update the forum community.

0 Ratings
TJstar
Message 7 of 53

Go to solution

Hi I've noticed that it's not just Netflix it's all the other apps too.

I have spoken to Netflix though and they blame the YouView boxes that BT chooses to use. THe YouView forum blame the Apps.

It seems to me that Humax, BT and the App providers such as Netflix need to bang their heads together in order to sort this out.

Basically BT insisted on me having an egineer visit on Friday to give me a new G4 box which I know wil be exactly the same. I have explained the above to them but they still insist on sending an engineer wasting everyone's time, money and effort.

What strikes me is that the latest all singing all dancing G5 boxes which BT customers pay extra for may also be in stereo only ... This seems bonkers. So we have 4k streaming and full HD / Ultra images, full HD 5.1 sound ready AV amp and speakers, yet we will be listening to sound quality from the the Jurassic period!!!

Come on BT. get a grip....so much for being market leading!

Imagine if it got out there that BTs boxes played stereo only through their apps?? Home Cinema Choice magaizine recently gave the box a rave review...I bet hey didn't test the apps!! (BT are so Lucky here). I doubt alsot if their Directors are even aware? I Was actually promised a firmware update to rectify this on my G4 about 6 months ago... hmmmm I still hold my breath..

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 53

Go to solution

Other than Netflix which other apps do you mean. You will find that some suppliers (now tv and sky store) only do stereo even on the boxes they supply themselves. You can hardly blame YouView and BT for a platform's failure to deliver on any device.

BT's multicast channels and box office DO 5.1...

Netflix I do agree should have been made to work by now...

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 9 of 53

Go to solution

I appreciate this is an old thread but for reference note the BT Ultra HD box does support Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on NetFlix and you'll see a '5.1' symbol next to movies and content that has 5.1 audio.

While the older boxes fully support Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound for BT Player content and Freeview HD channels, they can't play 5.1 audio from NetFlix.

To get 5.1 audio fromNetFlix it is possible to upgrade to an Ultra HD subscription or buy an Ultra HD box which offers many other benefits: it's smaller than the original DTR-T1000 YouView box and comes with a 1Tbyte hard disc offering up to 600 hours of recording. Being a later design it is also very responsive - menus open quickly and the various players start up a lot faster.

BT TV expertPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
PaulHeyworth
Beginner
Message 10 of 53

Go to solution
Paul, are you sure with your facts above? I have just tried this from my UltraHD box and DD5.1 still doesn't work with Netflix. I have tried via HDMI and Optical. If I load Netflix directly from my TV, using the same cables and same amp, and same film (resuming where I left off from the youview box) DD5.1 works straight away.

So, I don't believe this is resolved at all.

Shame because I would prefer to use the app on the BT box, than from the TV.
0 Ratings