Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 41 of 53

Re: Netflix 5.1 audio?

Go to solution

Thanks BillyBob - I'll test NetFlix 5.1 audio over ARC myself and let you know.

BT TV expertPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 42 of 53

Go to solution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix-compatible_devices

I'm sure Chromecast worked  in 5.1 last time I tried it, I might have been using the PS3 though.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 43 of 53

Go to solution

Netflix from BT UHD box working for 5.1 here according to info. OSD on my Yamaha amp

Connect directly via HDMI

I know for a fact that my TV does not send 5.1 audio out over the ARC I've never know why. If it's recieving a 5.1 broadcast the optical out is 5.1 though. 

0 Ratings
billybob99
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 53

Go to solution

Chromcast works fine for me as well %.1 DD+ as well

0 Ratings
davelane85
Contributor
Message 45 of 53

Go to solution

Thanks for looking into this, here is mine:

1. Can you get 5.1 surround sound from NetFlix on your BT Ultra HD box? (try Planet Earth 2, Lost in Space or Stranger Things) No
  2. Does the NetFlix player show "5.1" in the programme page for those programmes? Yes

3. Can you get 5.1 surround sound from Freeview HD and Extra TV (IPTV) channels? Yes

4. Are you using AV receiver, external sound bar, or TV's built-in speakers? External Sound Bar

5. Make and model of TV (if known)? Samsung

6. Make and model of AV receiver/sound bar? Sonos Playbar

7. How does audio reach your sound system? (e.g. HDMI to AV receiver, S/PDIF optical to AV receiver, HDMI to TV and HDMI ARC to AV receiver, HDMI audio extractor with S/PDIF output). HDMI to TV then S/PDIF to Soundbar, have also tried with a HDMI audio extractor with S/PDIF to Soundbar

8. What is the BT box's HDMI output connected to? (TV, AV receiver, sound bar)? TV

9. Which HDMI version does the connected device support (e.g. 1.3, 2.0)? I think 1.3 but not 100% sure

10. Which HDCP  version does the connected device support (e.g. 2.2)? Not sure

11. Are you using theYouView box's S/PDIF optical output and if so, what is it connected to? No, but did try this direc to the Soundbar but still no 5.1 in Netflix

FYI this is the HDMI audio extractor i tried:
https://www.flexson.com/flexson-3-input-hdmi-switch-audio-converter-for-sonos-playbar

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 46 of 53

Go to solution

Thanks for all the feedback. 

S/PDIF Optical Output is Stereo Only

Unfortunately, the NetFlix player can only play 5.1 audio via HDMI and not via the S/PDIF optical output which only provides stereo. This is a limitation of the NetFlix player which works independently in this regard and there are no plans to update it. This is not well publicised and I'll see if we can provide more information to make this limitation clearer. 

Recommended Connections

If you have an HDMI AV receiver I would recommend you connect your YouView box's HDMI output to the AV receiver and then connect the AV receiver's HDMI output to your display. This works well for most users and should provide 5.1 surround sound from all of the players including NetFlix (when the content has 5.1 audio). 

However, if you have an Ultra HD 4K display you'll need a 4K Ultra HD AV receiver that supports HDCP 2.2 to get 4K to the TV via the AV receiver. If you have a 4K display with an older AV receiver this may therefore not be the best solution for you. 

HDMI ARC

Another option is to connect the YouView box to your TV via HDMI and then use HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) to feed the audio back to your AV receiver. HDMI ARC works over the HDMI cable that is normally used to feed video from the AV receiver to the TV. It is referred to as a Return Channel as this feature enables audio to go in the opposite direction, from the TV HDMI input to the AV receiver's HDMI output.  

HDMI ARC is relatively new and was introduced with HDMI 1.4 so check that your TV and AV receiver both support it. It works well for me but BillyBob reports only getting stereo.

If you have a problem using HDM ARC please check the following:

1. Your TV audio settings may provide an audio option to select "Surround Sound" or "Bitstream" which should work better than a "Stereo", "2.0" or "PCM" setting.

2. Some TV's only support HDMI ARC on one or two HDMI ports so check the manual to see which port to use (or look for an ARC label beside one of the HDMI ports). 

3. Some AV receivers only support HDMI ARC on one of their HDMI outputs, so check the manual. It is usually the HDMI 1 output if it supports multiple displays or multiple zones.

4. HDMI ARC supports the same formats as S/PDIF so it can carry Dolby Digital (AC3) but not Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) which may cause problems as many services including BT Extra TV use Dolby Digital Plus. Some TV's may transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital but many won't. Look out for HDMI eARC on some new 2018 TVs and receivers which will support 7.1, uncompressed audio and much higher bit-rates. 

I've tested NetFlix 5.1 on an Ultra HD box connected to my LG OLED 65 B7 via HDMI (using 4K HDR) and then HDMI ARC to my Pioneer SC-LX79 and 5.1 audio worked fine. My AV receiver indicated it was decoding 5.1 audio and I could hear 5.1 surround from the speakers. 

HDMI Audio Splitters

Another option might be to use an HDMI audio splitter/extractor but DaveLane reported that the one he tried didn't solve the problem. Please let us know if you find one that works and I'll also test a few here. 

BT TV expertPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
pantony
Message 47 of 53

Go to solution

Hi.

I also am not able to get dolby 5.1 from my brand new BT UHD box on Netflix, Amazon or AMC. 

Annoying thing is BT sport is working in 5.1 but nothing else is, so i know the fault isn't with my equipment.

I also used to receive 5.1 on AMC when i received it through my Sky HD box, but now I don't through the BT UHD box.

I read the blog posts on this forum & tried connecting the UHD box using HDMI into my Yamaha amplifier but still no 5.1.

BUT IT WORKS ON THE SPORTS CHANNELS!!

I started with optical. No luck.

I have selected the surround sound icons on the Settings Menu on the UHD box.  I used to install AV systems so I have a pretty good idea how this is supposed to work.

If someone can't help me resolve this I'm going to cancel the lot & go back to Sky for my BT channels. 

I have 13 days left to cancel.

0 Ratings
TVrepairman
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 53

Go to solution

5.1 on HD TV channels works fine over HDMI and S/PDIF optical outputs BUT disappointingly the Netflix player will only play 5.1 over HDMI and NOT via the S/PDIF optical output. 

As long as you use an HDMI connection from your STB to your A/V receiver you should get 5.1 audio and it works OK for me. You may need to re-start the Netflix player after changing the connections though, otherwise it might not work. 

Not sure about Amazon and AMC - I don't use them.

0 Ratings
TVrepairman
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 53

Go to solution

Also, if you connect the BT box directly to your TV and then use HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) to get the audio to your A/V receiver you may only get stereo, depending on your TV (i.e. if the TV indicates it is only a stereo TV then box will only send stereo to it and the TV won't get the 5.1 to forward to the A/V receiver via ARC). 

If you don't know what ARC is, then you're almost certainly not using it...

Hope this helps. 

0 Ratings
billybob99
Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 53

Go to solution
The problem occurs when the output signal from the STB is DD+ which some tv's mine included turn into stereo to output to the Av Amp via ARC
0 Ratings