Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zobbo
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Netflix UHD 4k with Youview

Hi,

I have standard BT TV with Infinity 2. Currently my TV is pretty old and doesn't support HD or 4K. I'm going to buy a new one with 4k UHD. I've signed up to Netflix independently with the premium subscription (UHD/HD), i.e. without going through the BT TV package (which would require MAX TV I think). So my question is will I get 4k Netflix with the standard Youview box and BT TV or do I have to get a special HD Youview box? In other words should I ditch my pure Netflix subscription and get a BT TV package instead?

Thanks,

Zobbo

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gibbylinks
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Netflix UHD 4k with Youview

I think the only 4k through the box is on the BT Sport 4k channel. As I understand it, the Netflix app subscription is totally seperate to the TV packages

Best bet is to buy a 4k Smart TV with the Netflix app. You can watch your 4K that way, no problem.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

@zobbo wrote:

Hi,

I have standard BT TV with Infinity 2. Currently my TV is pretty old and doesn't support HD or 4K. I'm going to buy a new one with 4k UHD. I've signed up to Netflix independently with the premium subscription (UHD/HD), i.e. without going through the BT TV package (which would require MAX TV I think). So my question is will I get 4k Netflix with the standard Youview box and BT TV or do I have to get a special HD Youview box? In other words should I ditch my pure Netflix subscription and get a BT TV package instead?

Thanks,

Zobbo

You would need an HDCP 2.2 compatible TV to watch via the TV only. Or a BT T4000 UHD box via YouView, which is also HDCP 2.2 compliant.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

0 Ratings
zobbo
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

My BT Youview box is a T2100 so I guess I can't do it through that. I've ordered an LG 49" 4K TV which has the Netflix HD app, is HDCP 2.2 compliant and is relatively cheap. Hopefully will do the job. 

Thanks guys,

Zobbo

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 5 of 11

Ive got a 49” LG 4K Tv and i can vouch how good the inbuilt Netflix app is. Amazon Prime Video 4K Also works really well.

0 Ratings
zobbo
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

That's good to hear, thanks. Seems the Web OS it uses is well regarded.

Cheers,

Zobbo

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 7 of 11

Yeh it's very good. This is my 3rd one in the house and they all perform very well 32/42 and the 49". The latter has Freesat and Freeview play built in as well along with the normal stuff like iPlayer etc.
0 Ratings
Takahashi
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

As others have said, it's best to watch Netflix and Amazon indepently of your BT box. I also have an LG set and both  apps and the Webos are excellent. I never use my box for anyfhing apart from watching some sports and recording tv. Never go near the apps on it. Might be a good idea to hardwire your tv to the router instead of using wifi. Then again, you might find wifi works okay for you.

0 Ratings
zobbo
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Well, I'm not impressed so far. I received the TV today, turned it on and half the screen was white. So it's going back.

Cheers,
0 Ratings
happyslayeruk
Expert
Message 10 of 11

I have the G5 box and the Netflix app lets me watch in 4K. I still prefer to use my LG TV's own Netflix app as it has support for HDR which is available on a lot of Netflix's own 4K shows (Defenders, Daredevil etc) as well as some movies.

Also the TV's own BBC iplayer app has HDR (HLG) support. I recently watched Blue Planet 2 on iplayer in HDR and it was amazing.

Perhaps a future update to the Netflix and iplayer apps will add HDR support.

0 Ratings