cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Netflix audio only in stereo

Because my Samsung TV is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, I'm piping video direct from by BT UHD box to the TV, and I'm piping audio through my Denon avr-x2300w Amp via optical.  Everything works fine, and when I buy a movie from BT it comes through with full 5.1 audio, as do HD TV channels.  However, everything from Netflix comes through in stereo, even if Netflix says it is in 5.1.  My Amp tells me that the input is in stereo (as do my ears).  I know this topic has been done to death, but I can't determine whether Netflix on BT hardware simply cannot output 5.1, or whether it's a configuration issue ?  Thanks if you can help, as I'm considering going back to the other side (Sky !).

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Message 2 of 11

Re: Netflix audio only in stereo

The netflix application on the youview box does not support DD sound

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

The Netflix app on the uhd box does output DD but only via HDMI.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 11

I was trying to use the optical cable as well and it doesn't work for surround sound.

Infact I found that HDMI surround sound even stops workng if you have optical cable plugged in, god knows why but I went for months with no surround sound at all until I unplugged the optical cable. ( see thread) 

I'm guessing that the ARC from the TV does not support surround ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Ive never managed to get 5.1 from uhd netflix ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

Many thanks.  As soon as I get my new 4k TV I will be able to pass everything via my AVR using HDMI, so it should work.  The reason I cannot do so now is because my TV is not HDCP 2.2 compliant.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

I have the lesser version of this denon amp with the G5 box and an LG 4K tv and I can assure you with a HDMI feed to the amp then to the TV you will defintly get the full 5.1 surround sound from Netflix (I know people have had issues feeding a non 4k tv via the amp which is a shame because the optical out from the box doesn't seem to work with the dolby digital + signal and means you miss out).

Have you tried the ARC suggestion. Feeding HDMI to the TV and then using the ARC feed back to the amp. I suppose it depends on the TV if this would work or not (make sure you get rid of the optical out of the equation alltogether as suggested above).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT TV Expert
Message 8 of 11

To confirm what @scointer has said. At present you can only get 5.1 audio on Netflix with a UHD box using HDMI, not with the optical connection. This may change at some point in the future. No timescales or anything at present, but it is being looked into.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Hi

I just setup my UltraHD box and am facing this issue. I only have the option of using optical (Sonos Playbar) is this still being looked into?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Anyone? Just wanting to know if this is still being looked into, or it's something I'll just have to live with
0 Ratings