cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJ_Maybe
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Netflix without BTTV - Bad Sales advice?

I have a historic TV box sets package which costs me £6.45 per month (from back in BT vision silver box days).

I am also currently outside my contract tie in period for my youview box. 

Now BT tells me (by email) that this TV service is ending shortly, and that the will offer me a one year Netflix subscription at the same level as my current sub - (£6.45 per month).

It looks to me that if I were to cancel the BT TV sub and get the basic Netflix package dirrectly from Netflix it will be £5.99 -  a whole 46p cheaper.

I have unlimited BTbroadband, but do not live in an infinity area and so cannot get any of the BT channels on my TV.

I have just been on the phone to BT to ask why I should retain a BT TV just to get Netflix, what would I lose if I cancel BT TV and go to Netflix direct. 

I was told by the salesman that I would not get the catch up TV services such as Iplayer and 4OD - I said I did not believe that this was true - and later in the same conversation he agreed that I was right.

I was also told by the salesman  that I could not watch Netflix through my TV  - I said I did not believe that this was true.

He also said I would lose BT sport - I said I did not believe that this was true as I recieve this for subscribing to BT Broadband, which I was not proposing to give up.  (Not that I can watch it on my TV of course living outside the Infinity area).

Eventually (as I was such a loyal customer) the salesman offered to reduce the basic BT TV package (which I do not currently have to pay under my old BTTV sub)  from £5 to £1.94 and then add the £5.99 for Netflix - making a total of £7.93 (£1.48 more than the fee would have been at the start of this conversation).

It worries me that other customers may have been taken in by the salesman's inacurate statements.

Can anyone out there confirm what I will lose by dropping the BTTV package?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Netflix without BTTV - Bad Sales advice?

The only difference in  Youview content availability if you cease your BT TV subscription would be no  BT Player on demand/catchup content and no  live  or playback of recordings from BT Sport and BT Extra  channell on your Youview box.

On demand/catchup from the Youview box would also count against your broadband allowance (something to consider if you are not on an unlimited allowance).  

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

I would guess the first price (£6.45) would include the Essentials because I don't think you could have Netflix through BT without a basic subscription. You could then ask what do you gain by having Essentials.

Zulu17 has brought up some options above (I also believe BT would cover any issues with your box while you are in contract and Netflix would also count towards your broadband useage if not taken through BT) it also allows you to have BT Sports, I know you say you are outside an infinity area but that doesn't automatically mean you can't get sports, if your line is fast enough and you have copper multicast enabled at your exchange you could still get BT Sports.

BT Sport on BT TV with BT Broadband

BT Sport 1, 2 and ESPN available in standard definition on BT TV for new and existing BT broadband customers. Existing customers must re-contract or have 12 months remaining on their contract. Sufficient line quality and speed (min 5.25 Mbps for existing customers and 6.5 Mbps for new customers) required. You can only watch/record one sport channel at any given time. Compatible box from BT required, fee of £35 – £199 may apply. Terms apply

0 Ratings
PJ_Maybe
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

First off - I am on unlimited broadband as noted above so any streaming usage will not be a problem.

Secondly - the only content on the BT player I get is the TV box sets service which BT is stopping - so no apparent loss there for me.

Again I am in a non Infinity area and was told by BT previously that I could not have BT sport on my TV - so I have not been able to record BT sport to date.  And as for BT extra it is the same case - no Infinity no BT Extra.

I was really hoping that teh salesman could explain to me why I should stay - he was unable to.  

As for support for the box, I guess if it breaks down in the future the worse case scenario is that I would need to re subscribe or buy another youview box from elsewhere.

Am I missing something fundemental that I would regret later?

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 5 of 12

For £6.99 direct from Netflix you get all the fims and most of the TV shows that they offer in HD plus you can watch it on two devices.

My sister pays £6.99 for Netfilx and now and again I use her account to watch film on my Samsung Full HD smart TV in my bedroom.

I could use the Nexflix app on the youview box if I wanted.

Im still paying £5 a month for BT film/TV box sets that will come to an end in 4 weeks time.

Darren

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 6 of 12

You dont need infinity to get BT sport. You can get it over DSL as long as your local exchange is copper multicast enabled. Check the BT wholesale website.

0 Ratings
PJ_Maybe
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Quick update. Yesterday I received 2 (count them) messages on my answer machine apparently from the supervisor of the BT salesman I spoke to on Monday.

In both, he confirmed that I had been given incorrect advice by the salesman, it is possible to subscribe to netflix directly without a BTTV subscription.  Apparently training has been put in place in light of the bad advice I was given.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

First off I wouldn't trust what BT have to say. When I spoke to them and had questions regarding this they seemed evasive or just didn't have a clue.
I asked them why we should choose to pay them such a high price for a Netflix account when it is cheaper directly and also means signing yet another 12 month BT contract?
They tried to say the freeview and recording won't work. That is BS, that part of the box is separate from the BT part and even if their firmware tied it in somehow, one you can reflash, two you could just buy another non bt box for the sake of paying per month over time. Fact is the recording will still work as will freeview. Everything from the blue button will work. Things on the purple bt button won't.
They also tried to tell me that I received live channels such as the cartoon network which is not true. In fact that is on demand content which is limited at best but will continue after the 30th.
In my opinion no one should be using a bttv pack. You can install and use apps from the youview part and you're TV is likely WiFi anyway.
Netflix is worth while bought directly and for 6.99 you can stream on to two TVs at the same time, multiscreen. No additionally getting tied to bt again for another year.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 9 of 12

I've never had any issues with what they have told me, all has been correct and accurate.

But I can understand how confusing and how uninformed some staff may be.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

The only reason I can see for ordering Netflix through BT rather than direct with Netflix is that it will count towards your download allowance if not ordered through BT and viewed through their box.

As far as I know the price is the same, but I would guess that BT might try and tie you into a new 12 month contact if you alter your existing one by adding anything including Netflix....not sure about this...does anyone know?

0 Ratings