cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

New B.T Box

Good Evening, already on  B.T fibre upgraded to TV box it arrived today all set-up ready for go live tomorrow, reading some of the post's on this forum we should be able to see the Freeview channels through the box, we can see all BBC channels perfectly but ITV scrambled and jumping.

Strength good on BBC at 94% ITV showing as 38% yet we can see them all perfectly through our normal TV any ideas ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: New B.T Box

You will always need a much stronger signal for a STB because it has multiple tuners to feed (so you can watch and record at the same time), so the single feed in is split between the tuners and will show up a weak signal that a single TV tuner will be ok with (and I would also expect the TV tuner to better quality). You may need to re-align your aerial or get a booster.

Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

I don't subscribe to the twin tuner argument as other manufacturers don't suffer the same problem. Panasonic devices have 2 , Humax 3 tuners and no such issues are experienced.

The Youview tuners quite weak compared to other units and suffer quite a lot with signal issues, either too strong or too weak.

However, that may not be the problem here. When tuning the channels were you offered a choice of region, eg Kent or London . If so you may not have selected the best one for signal strength.

Do you know what transmitter you should be receiving your signal from?

What level of signal do you get on your TV?

Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

I blame the early morning lol

Yes I agree with Tim the most likely scenario is that the YouView box has picked up a more distant/weaker transmitter when tuning (it is a very common problem with the YouView set up) which is why your signal into the box is appearing weak. Apologies.

Message 5 of 12

Is there a way to check which transmitter your STB has automatically chosen and then manually switch?

I have reception issues in poor weather and the BBC Reception team has mooted that it could be that I am locked into the wrong transmitter.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Hi Tim
I'm in the east midlands no sorry new to the area not sure which transmitter we should be receiving a signal from look like the t.v is defaulting to the west midlands
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

thanks for the reply I have purchase a booster today from Argos so we will give this a go and see ifs there's any improvement
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

@Jayfamily 

A booster may not solve your problem.

To find out what transmitter you should be on look on this website and enter your postcode. It'll be clear from that if you might be getting multiple transmissions or 4G interference etc.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Thanks Tim, bought a booster to try first and this has fixed the problem actually it's probably too much signal now as still a little bit on normal channels but perfect on HD when we checked it's now at 100% signal !!! So we are going to try a 6db attenuator which hopefully will bring the signal strength down a bit

0 Ratings