Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

New BBC HD channels, signal strengh

Hi all,

Having an issue with the new BBC HD channels, all previous HD channels like ITV HD or BBC HD have a signal strength of 70% and quality of 100%. However the new channels are all signal quality 49-50% and quality 100%. The problem being that they cause my amp to drop out sound for a second and it happens quite often. Any reason why these channels are lower strength?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: New BBC HD channels, signal strengh

You should have the same signal strength for BBC 3 HD & CBBC HD  as for BBC 1 HD as they are transmitted on the same mux.  BBC HD 4 , BBc News HD  and CBeebies HD are transmitted  on the Com 7 mux which has a much lower transmission power  so signal strength levels  would be expected to be much lower.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Yeah that is correct CBBC HD is 70% signal strength, well that news is a shame as when the TV is on its 95% Cbeebies so HD would have been really nice but it's unwatchable on HD due to the sound drops so looks like we're stuck with SD then.
0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Will they be turning the juice up on these new channels at some point then, I spoke to digitaluk yesterday and they said I should have no problems watching in my area?
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

No they won't be 'turning the juice up'. The power is limited by the equipment they are using and the need to limit interference between transmitters on the limited number of channels they are using.

If your signal is marginal but Digital UK say you are in an area that should get the signal then I would suggest reviewing your aerial installation and seeing if it can be improved to increase your signal - for example your aerial May be the wrong group for the COM7 frequency.
0 Ratings