Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IOW-Viewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

New BT G4 box lost internet channels and has hung on installing update

Hi,

Into my 4th week with BT.

So far, I've had 4 engineer visits. 2 hubs and am on my 3rd STB.

Now the STB seems to have lost the internet TV channels. It is connected to the internet as I can view BBC iPlayer. And the network connection status says 'connected'.

Poking about in the menu I came across a software update dated today.  This screen says 'YouView is downloading and installing updates. The YouView box will restart once this is complete.'

The progress bar indicates 100% Complete and underneath that it says 'Restarting'

It has been saying this about 30 mins now. Nothing is happening. The only button that works on the remote is the power button.

If it wasn't for the (so far) superb internet connection that I have via Infinity I would have walked a while ago.

But I would really like my TV STB to work.

Please help.

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: New BT G4 box lost internet channels and has hung on installing update

Well if there is a software update in progess I would expect the internet channels to be unavailable until the update completes and the box is restarted.

Also from personal experience should  the Home HUb 5 restarts the G4 Youview (version 17 s/w) does not successfully play the internet channels until after it  is rebooted or manually (re)connected.

What is puzzling is why your box is undergoing a software update.  

One question - do you have a working aerial connected to the youview box ?

0 Ratings
IOW-Viewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

A working aerial - yes I do.

I performed a soft reset on it and this has now solved the problem.

But I noticed the box doesn't respond to remote actions very quickly after this. For example, after the re-tune it asked for confirmation of my TV region. After selecting this and selecting 'Next' it was unresponsive for a couple of minutes. After which it processed all my attempts at pressing next and proceeded into another re-tune.

I get the feeling the software needs to be tweaked and some routine needs to take into account a possible pause and likely pressing of 'Next'.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

One thing I do now when/if the internet channels become unavailable is to check  my homehub 5 event log

http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi

(under Troubleshooting / Event Log - filtering events on System)

If you find that your Homehub has restarted that is probably the root cause of the loss of channels although the G4 box should recover (it appears it doesn't). Currently I'm finding that my Homehub restarts at 14 day intervals.

I notice you had previous posts on Homehub issues so it is possible that their events have triggered a situation where your G4 Youview box hasn't completely recovered from until you perform a soft reset.

There are newer versions of (Humax) Youview software that are expected (from postings in other threads) to be deployed iin the very near future,

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Surely you can make the G4 auto-recover by giving it a fixed IP address?

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Youview-Box-unable-to-recover-from-Home-Hub-5-reboot/m-p/119...

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@Telecom89 wrote:

Surely you can make the G4 auto-recover by giving it a fixed IP address?

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Youview-Box-unable-to-recover-from-Home-Hub-5-reboot/m-p/119...

Not everybody would want or be comfortable with doing that.

Plus really BT should advise that that is an approved workaround.

(That of course would mean acceptance that a fault exists -- they seem to be a bit in denial at present.)

In IOW case we don't necessarily know that the Home-Hub is the root cause of their problems only that it is a possible cause that could be checked by examing the Home Hub event event logs.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

BTW IOW Viewer is your YV box connected via an ethernet cable or homeplugs?

0 Ratings