cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 31

Re: New TV box coming?

Couple of things here, @stereohaven are you seriously saying someone should supply a box & warrantity but allow you to use that equipment as you see fit on snother network? Why would anyone do that?

Also @4KTVFan i'm sure we told you this before but just to re-iterare BT have no control over the fibre rollout, that's the responsibility of openreaxh.

Also if you sign up for an 18/24 month contract with another provider are you going to demand that they tell you how rhings will evolve over the contract as well?

4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 31

@garybs29 

With the greatest respect, lets just cut to the chase and stop the games, BT IS Openreach, and Openreach IS BT.

FACT

Yes, BT have been forced to split Openreach from their "ownership", but that is mainly to stop all of the government investment in broadband infrastructure going into a blackhole that is BT...

Your argument makes me so angry, this is the kind of false information that is always put out about BT and Openreach.

Here are the facts, if I take out BT broadband who do you think delivers it???  There are dozens of internet providers... no, there IS only one company that delivers BT internet and that is Openreach... FACT.

And anyhow, my contract IS with BT, NOT Openreach, if BT and Openreach where truly split, then BT would be able to offer me broadband via infrastructure contracts with Virgin media.

So please, STOP the nonsense about POOR OLD BT being a slave to Openreach...!!!

Right, you next point, No I don't expect a company to give me their product road map in return for a 24 month contract, but as a consumer I take care in what I buy, for example, would I buy a new car that had a very poor reliability record, no.. would I buy my gas and electricity from a company that had a history of high annual prices increases... NO... I buy into a company that I think is going do me right for the next 24 months.

With BT right now it is hard to know where they are going, it seems every year they revamp their TV offering, so why should I commit to 24 months when I simply don't know where BT are going next.

Why the hell, should I not be able to ask my broadband provider what the service is likely to be over the NEXT 2 YEARS!!!! When signing up!!!! 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! That is the commitment BT wants, but in the return, so say I have no right to question anything!!!

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 31

@garybs29wrote:

Couple of things here, @stereohaven are you seriously saying someone should supply a box & warrantity but allow you to use that equipment as you see fit on snother network? Why would anyone do that?

Nope, not what I said at all. 

I said it comes with a 2 year warranty and its yours to keep or sell as you see fit. As most people now know, if you have TV kit supplied by a company (such as BT, Sky or Virgin Media), you have to return it when you stop paying a subscription. 

So you could buy this one, enjoy the Humax warranty of 2 years and then sell it, keep it or put lipstick on it and call it Doris if you want, it's yours.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 31

@4KTVFan firstly if you go to the openreach website there's a form you can fill in after the checker where they'll keep you up to date with fibre availability. Other than that BT retail don't get any idea of when it's coming apart from the same website so let's just leave that there now.

Secondly nobody is going to tell you what's going to happen over 2 years simply because the advisors don't know. When anything new is coming it's usually under an embargo due to competitors etc & not wanting them to know what you've got coming. As much as you make noise & request that info that's the simple reason why you won't get it.

@stereohaven I was just confused as you mentioned in your initial post using it with any ISP but didn't make it clear that was outwith the initial contract. Unlikely to change now though with the equipment effectively being on loan now

stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 31

@garybs29wrote:

@stereohaven I was just confused as you mentioned in your initial post using it with any ISP but didn't make it clear that was outwith the initial contract. Unlikely to change now though with the equipment effectively being on loan now

Ahhhh... OK, I see what you mean now.

Yes I meant it's a "retail box" that you buy direct or from somewhere like Amazon, so you are not tied to an ISP because they supplied it, you can use who you want. 

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 31

It may well be available to buy via retail as well

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 31

I don’t think the new BT box will, just like a Sky Q box or Virgin Media TiVo.
0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 31

I'm guessing that will depend on whether it's developed solely for BT or is a youview one as per the current box

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 31

YouView have removed themselves from the retail market and now only work with corporate partners. As I understand it most of the funding comes from BT now with the other founders of YouView putting their money behind Freeview Play.

Honestly, I cannot see this new box being available to buy, it will only be available as part of a subscription. If it's Sagemcom that are supplying then it will likely be very similar to the IPTV box they provide for 1&1 in Germany.

Sagemcom 1&1 TV boxSagemcom 1&1 TV box

4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 31

Yes, TalkTalk, the last remining partner in Youview is moving to an Android TV Box in the near future, so that just leaves BT.

Also, don't forget, BT have already pretty much removed the Youview brand from their latest remotes and 4K box, Youview is not a brand going forward.