versusuk
Message 71 of 78

Re: New You've box and ultra HD coming

Just phoned up and the guy said its not due until 1st September

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 72 of 78

I agree that extras can easily be added. So if BT Sport UHD is similar to BT Sport HD then it could easily be added/removed to existing packages.

But a brand new latest model Youview+ box normally comes at either a hefty price (up to £299 in the past) or the requirement to re-contract BT TV for 12/18 months and a box activation fee.

I too think UHD may be a slow build up product rather than a big bang launch due to an initial limited amount of UHD sport content. Can they even fill one channel with decent stuff right now? Plus how many customers actually have 4k TV's at this time?

I await any announcements about the new box and the channel launch date. Won't really make any difference to me anyway unless they are giving the boxes away for free. 🙂
0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 73 of 78

@umpire wrote:
 Plus how many customers actually have 4k TV's at this time?

Not to mention that High Dynamic Range TVs won't be in the shops until the end of the year, and that's one of the big benefits.

Also, can existing 4K TVs even do High Frame Rate (2160/60p)?

It's madness for anyone wishing to watch 4K broadcasts to buy a 4K TV at the moment, makes no sense at all other than being able to say "Look I have a 4K TV!" IMO they only make sense for people who want a really big screen TV to watch upscaled HD on.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 74 of 78

Of course 4K tv's can do 2160@60p. As long as they have a HDMI 2.0 port (which any decent tv from the middle of last year has). You talk about madness buying one but people need to buy TV's all the time, there is always something better around the corner, it was the same with HDTV's when they first came out they mainly only did 720p/1080i and over time the displays got better and better so you might as well say wait 4 years until the 4K spec is improved before buying one (by then we will probablly be talking about 8k). So I needed a new TV last year that I will have for say 5 years, the fact of the matter was I could get a good HD TV or for about £100-200 more I could get a 4K tv. OK it won't have HDR but it still looks better than the HD would (especially watching 4K content and of course when 4K blu-rays are out later in the year they will still work and look better than on a HD tv even without the High Dynamic Range). I get your point that if you can wait HDR will make an impact, BT have already stated that thier STB doesn't do HDR out of the box but they are hoping it might be possible to update via firmware (but who knows at the minute). The fact of the matter is the improved resolution DOES make a difference even without HDR so I would say anybody looking to buy a TV NOW would be crazy NOT to buy a 4K set.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 75 of 78

My Panasonic TV can already do HDR, so they are already out in the shops.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 76 of 78

Also looks like HDR wont needed:

What kind of 4K TV will I need to watch BT Sport Ultra HD?

Kelly told us that the BT’s Ultra HD box plays service plays 4K media at 50fps and supports 10 bit colour depth per pixel. You’ll need a TV with an HDMI port capable of handling that frame rate. Anything older than HDMI 2.0 won’t suffice.

We asked Kelly if the box would support HDR (High Dynamic Range) in the future - because it won’t from launch. Kelly told us that BT is investigating a number of options and hopes that support for HDR can be added with a firmware update, but didn’t rule out a hardware-based solution.
0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 77 of 78

All the more reason to hold off until next year then, for those who can! And who have the patience. 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Cameron
Aspiring Expert
Message 78 of 78

@versusuk wrote:

Just phoned up and the guy said its not due until 1st September

I just got a call from BT about the new sports package, and after I pointed out I already re-contracted a couple of weeks ago (they obviously didn't know or they wouldn't have called in the first place!) I asked about the 4k boxes, and after she laughed, she also said she thinks it will be out sometime in September.

0 Ratings