cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterjam
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

New YouView box missing internet channels - fault IPC6023

I changed over to a new YouView box on 27th June - connected via powerline adaptors, (Mini Wi-fi Home Hotspot 600s), to a Home Hub 5 - average connection speeds of 67.82 Mb/s (down) and 18.35 Mb/s (up). It ran fine for the first few days, then we began to lose the internet channels up around the 300s.  I checked the extenders by plugging my laptop into them and was able to browse the web via ethernet.  I called BT and, after more testing, it was decided that there was a fault in the network and the powerline adapters were also at fault and replacements were sent out.  These duly worked for a couple of days and then the same fault re-appeared.

I again plugged my laptop into the ethernet port on the extender and was able to browse the web and conduct speed tests.  Cabling directly from the YouView box to the Home Hub didn't clear the fault and I noticed that the transmit/receive LEDs on the boxes ethernet port weren't lit.  Another call to BT generated an engineer visit on Tuesday 26th July, when he replaced the box - thereby losing any recording we had made.

The box is now exhibiting the same fault, which leads me to think that the original network fault is still there.  The most annoying thing for me is that I'm a BT employee and, although the call centre staff and on-site engineer have been excellent, I don't expect a brand new piece of kit to generate this amount of problems for the end user.

Any help or guidance greatfully received.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: New YouView box missing internet channels - fault IPC6023

If the problem exists even when the box is directly connected to the hub then the issue is either going to be the hub (what happens if you plug the ethernet into a different port on the hub?) or your broadband network.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Are you connecting directly from the powerline adaptor to the YV box or are you connecting to an ethernet switch to share the connection?

Also take a look at: https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/IPC6023-Advanced-Diagnosis/td-p/1154880

When you see this fault, what else do you have connected to the homehub?

0 Ratings
peterjam
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the replies.  The Broadband Extender Flex 500 behind the TV is directly connected to the YouView box - there's no ethernet switch.

The YouView box is the only hardwired connection to the Hub.  There are four laptops, a PS4 and a Panasonic TV connected via wireless, but the fault appears whether these items are active or not.

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Powerlines can be hit and miss for BT's Multicast channels due to your internal wiring. If you can, connect your Youview box direct to the Hub with an ethernet cable. This will at least rule out the Powerline's as the problem.

0 Ratings
AR_Help
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Hi

I have almost EXACTLY the same problem - We had a box thats worked perfectly for 18 months then about two weeks ago it stopped getting ANY internet channels at all - we cannot even browse On Demand. It says its connected to the Hub but not to the Internet. Search, Help, Discover also dont work.

This isnt a coincidence - Im a techie I have run all the tests and replaced my hub. Here's the rub - took the box to my dads - it works perfectly there.

I suspect that this is a fault on BT's end - its something to do with the exchange or the line and is most likely related to Infinity (you dont happen to still be on the old basic broadband like me do you).

Go onto BT's site and try and place an order for BT Vision - when you put your postcode and Phone number in it will probably tell you, as it did me, that it is NOT available at your house. Well I was using it for 18 months so why the heck have BT suddenly switched it off ?

Let me know how you get on - click on my User Id and you will find my own thread about this problem I started a few days ago.

And please - DONT waste any more of your time with the help desk or thinking its your gear thats broken - just log a formal complaint with BT.

Where are you in the Country by the way - I am near Bradford.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I've got a new subscription (TV Essentials with a YouView box), which went live 2 days ago, but I'm unable to view the BT TV internet streams of the BT Sport channels.

My box is connected to the internet, and passes connectivity tests and tells me my broadband is fast enough for HD. The help on the box says the channels should appear on the EPG (such as BT sport on 507). I don't have the channel, but followed this guide http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45441/c/6547

Thanks.
K.Colyn
I work @FTS
0 Ratings
peterjam
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

The box appears to have stabilised itself now - and thanks for the responses.  I'm based in Dumfries, which is in south-west Scotland, and I live not far from the local exchange - I could probably throw a stone at it with a good run-up!

I had one occurrence of no recordings, with the 'Data' light off on the powerline extender at the box, but not at the hub - a reset of both cleared it.  This morning I had the guide but no picture and a 'TV signal problem - YVM302' pop-up.  The aerial connection goes into the YouView box first then out and into my Panasonic TV.  The TV has a DVB and Freesat connection, (using my old Sky dish), and I was able to access DVB on the TV with no problems, which proved the aerial connection.  Restarting the box by holding the 'Standby' button for 8 seconds cleared it.

It would appear that there are issues around the stability and reliability of this new box.  I'm fortunate in that I'm a telecom engineer that can fault a system, but what's it like for members of the public?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@peterjam wrote:

It would appear that there are issues around the stability and reliability of this new box.  I'm fortunate in that I'm a telecom engineer that can fault a system, but what's it like for members of the public?

Nope, there are no widespread or inherent are issues around the stability and reliability of this new box. 

It's possible that your PLA is the cause or that your wiring isn't sutable for use with PLA, whcih is an issue in some houses. What happens when you make a direct connection between the YouView box and the Home Hub?

As you're a telecom engineer I'm suprised you described using powerline adapters as a "hardwired connection to the Hub" when of course they're not. 

0 Ratings
peterjam
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

You can't beat a good, pedantic reply!

The previous fault - no data light at the box, data light on at the hub - re-appeared this morning, requiring a reset of both PLAs.  When the original fault, (which required the YouView being changed), arose, I cabled directly from the hub to the box to no effect.

The house is over 100 years old, so running cables behind walls or under floors is problematic and PLAs are the best solution.

0 Ratings