Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sh1983
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 129

Re: New YouView box upgrade for £35?

I phoned BT up and I was offered the new box for £35. I am in contract and I asked about what happens to the old box and they said the old box would be returned to them.
0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 129

@sh1983 wrote:
I phoned BT up and I was offered the new box for £35. I am in contract and I asked about what happens to the old box and they said the old box would be returned to them.

Now that is interesting.

I have had a lot of recurring problems with the humax box. I would love a replacement.

Problem is that the wife has about 100 hours of recordings on it. She won't be happy.

I don't suppose there would be any way to transfer the recordings from the old box to the new one? I know with sky you could simply swap over the hard drives.

0 Ratings
smcbeath
Contributor
Message 13 of 129

My interest in the new box peaked by seeing this thread. Did a quick search and noticed that it only has a 500gb hard drive? When will we see a 2tb hard drive. Does it also not have a fan built in as well?

My current youview box is turned upside down, And i have 2 usb pc fans, on top pumping some cold air into the box. My box was crashing quite alot after 30-40 mins, so i opened it up and ran some tests, ie cold booting up the box and seeing if the fan would kick in, and it didnt. I was also getting a smell of electronic burning as well.

So come on bt, i will give you £50 for a new 1tb box, £75 for a 2tb box.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 129

@smcbeath wrote:

My interest in the new box peaked by seeing this thread. Did a quick search and noticed that it only has a 500gb hard drive? When will we see a 2tb hard drive. Does it also not have a fan built in as well?

My current youview box is turned upside down, And i have 2 usb pc fans, on top pumping some cold air into the box. My box was crashing quite alot after 30-40 mins, so i opened it up and ran some tests, ie cold booting up the box and seeing if the fan would kick in, and it didnt. I was also getting a smell of electronic burning as well.

So come on bt, i will give you £50 for a new 1tb box, £75 for a 2tb box.

Can't you just get their 500GB box and then put a 1TB or 2TB hard drive into it?

0 Ratings
gmackay1903
Contributor
Message 15 of 129

Yep, I was out of contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 129

@sh1983 wrote:

Firstly, all BT TV customers are 'in contract' as there exists a contract between the customer and BT for the service. The contract continues until either party terminates it. Do you actually mean you still have not completed the 12 months minimum term that all new BT TV contracts stipulate? If so then that is interesting as that differs slightly to what BT were stating when they launched the G3 Youview box back in 2012.

Back then those who had completed the minimum term for their current TV contract could start a new TV contract, pay the standard box activation fee (was £49, is now £35), get sent the new G3 BT Youview box, and keep the old box which they owned.

Those who hadn't yet completed the minimum term could still upgrade to a G3 BT Youview box, but had to pay the full price which was £299. I think in theory they should have also returned the old box which they didn't yet own (BT don't always seem to chase this up though).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 129

@toekneem wrote:

I wonder why they use the word MANY existing customers can upgrade for £35, why not ALL existing customers.Smiley Surprised

Those who subscribe to Sky Sports still can't upgrade to any BT Youview box unless they are willing to drop that subscription. Smiley Frustrated  Maybe BT were just being careful about covering that outstanding issue?

Also those on older contracts might have to start a new contract with one of the current packages (TV Essential or TV Entertainment) in order to get the G4 Youview box. If you don't want to change your existing contract then you might have to stay on your current box?

There is also the 'Have you completed the minimum term for your current contract?' question. It would be useful if BT would clarify the situation regarding this.  

0 Ratings
saintmatt
Contributor
Message 18 of 129

I've just been on the phone to order my G4 for £35 and even though I'm past the 12 months term, they're still sending out a Jiffy bag to return the old one!!!

I thought that after 12 months I owned the old box? Can someone please advise what I should do? This whole upgrade process is as clear as mud!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 129

If you don't need the box return it, if you want the box just keep it.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 129

@saintmatt wrote:

I thought that after 12 months I owned the old box? 

See paragraph 15 and paragraphs 25, 26, 27 here.

BT TV Terms and Conditions

So strictly speaking, you always own the box from day 1. BT however defer the full cost payment for it, and as long as you have it connected up for 12 months without cancelling BT TV they will then waive the deferred payment. So you then still own the box but more importantly no longer owe them any money for it. Well that's how I read it.

0 Ratings