Message 1 of 42

New box on the way

0 Ratings
41 REPLIES 41
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 42

Re: New box on the way

Still being only able to record two channels at a time is the only negative for me.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 42

Although now with the catch and on demand channels recording only two isn't that much of an issue for me. I don't record anything now and same for friends and family it's all about catch up and on demand
0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 42

I like to record as much as I can, that way I don't have to remember what it was I wanted to watch and what broadcaster it was with. I've also been caught out on more than one occasion by catch-up, the programme in question either never gets made available or it's several days before it does. This has always been after a Series Link failure so it's like being kicked twice.

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 42

This is great news if it turns out to be true, and we do in fact hear confirmed details around December with an early 2020 release.

But please BT, don't just offer HLG HDR, get Dolby Vision HDR on there as well... then people paying for the top tier Netflix can actually enjoy their programming in Dolby Vision.

For me, the most interesting bit of information is the bit about "relaunching their TV service with the new box"

This makes perfect sense, and explains why BT TV seems to have been just bumping along for months, without any real aggressive attempt to win market share.

I would imagine like most tech things, this new box is 6 months behind schedule, and BT TV has been waiting to get a solid next-gen TV box and channel offering together before putting big money behind building their service and user base.

Exciting news, let's hope we hear more soon!

FC12
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 42

Wicked !

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 42

So almost a full 6 months has passed since this story was shared and we now have the NOW TV integration (which is good or bad depending on who you talk to), BritBox about to arrive on the service and Disney+ launched but not accessible via BT.

In other words, quite a lot has happened since this story surfaced and yet there isn’t so much as a sniff of a new box. 

If this box is real then the testers who proclaim elsewhere how much of an upgrade it is must have been slapped with the toughest NDA ever, because there is literally not a single snippet anywhere, including no sign of it ever being on the BT Trials website! 🤣

Either that or it has been significantly delayed (NOW TV style), or doesn’t actually exist. Personally I think there must be some truth in it as the BT kit is really in need of a refresh, what do you think?

Will it still be a Humax or do we think another manufacturer such as Arris (new Freesat box) or Manhattan (the best new Freeview play box), will be involved?

Does anyone have any news or at the very least, some decent guesswork?

0 Ratings
StefanMc
Contributor
Message 8 of 42

Led to believe new STB would have been launched at the start of 2020, but that the current situation has delayed this. We should hopefully hear something regarding this in the not too distant future. 

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 42

I'm starting to wonder if a new BT TV box has lost priority within BT.

Why?

Well all the news coming out a few months ago was about BT re-launching their TV service with brand new packages and a brand new TV box.

Well the new TV packages happened, with the introduction of the new NowTV packages, so where was the new TV Box?

No company would launch with just half a proposition, unless there was a very good reason.

So the delay in announcing new hardware is significant.

I'm going to try and speculate, but I stress I have no insider information, and these are just my opinions...

The strengthening of the relationship between BT and SKY I would guess is at the heart of the delays we are seeing.

BT TV and SKY announced today that SKY Marketing will now manage all advertising acquisition for BT Sports programming.

There is clear evidence of increasing commercial integration between BT TV and SKY...

BT TV is pretty much now a SKY NowTV wholesaler.

I think as part of that commercial deal, BT TV could not be the first to market with HDR, with that credit having to go to SKY.

That has now happened, and is rolling out right now, with a estimated commercial completion date of September 2020, when the full SKY HDR experience will have been fully deployed.

My feeling on this is that the new close cooperation between BT TV and SKY means that BT TV can't impact that.

That means that any BT TV HDR box has probably been pushed back into 2021, my guess would be Feb/Mar?

I want to stress again, I have no information, and this is pure speculation on my part.

But I think when you step back and look at everything that is going on, and examine all the information at hand, it all starts to become clear.

Let me give one example of such information, if you read through BT's 2020 annual report, BT TV is a tiny factor in the groups operations, it hardly mentioned.

There are no bold statements about HDR delivery.

Right now, based upon all the information I have read, BT TV's whole TV strategy seems to be about stopping financial losses... and becoming profitable.

So here is my prediction, a BT TV HDR box won't launch before SKY has fully completed roll out of their HDR service, which looks to be around Sep/Oct 2020...

Put simply, any release of a new BT TV HDR box has become a casualty of the increasing integration of BT TV and SKY/NowTV. 

0 Ratings
StefanMc
Contributor
Message 10 of 42

Update: Am told that this has, rather frustratingly, been delayed until the start of 2021 at the earliest. But, at least it will come eventually!

0 Ratings