cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 74

Re: New homepage on BT TV

There's been some disasters in the way of software tinkering recently on the BT platform with the BT Cloud and Smarthub2  downgrades ( no matter how hard I try I can't bring myself to refer to such disasters as upgrades), but for me this one takes the biscuit (or should I say gold medal)

I think it's time now that BT started getting their new software written by the professionals, or at least by better amateurs than the lot they're currently using.

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 74

I know this will make people laugh but the reason this has been done (we are told) is because it mirrors streamers closer so people are more familiar when they come to it new and also it allows for faster improvements and easier personalisation (I am told it is ready to utilise the HD channel selection and movement of the players into most used preference (although the first 5 slots will always remain the same as they are the partners and therefore always get a preferential slot in the first five for whatever they want to put in it)).

Like most things we know there will be a curve. At the beginning there will be lots of complaints as it is new and people don’t like change but slowly people will get used to it and some will grow to actually like it but netherless the complaints will descend to small numbers and yes a few people will leave because of it but that will be a very small number (even though lots will say they are going to at the start), there are very few times that a change draws that many complaints over an extended time that something is actually reverted. Sad but true..

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 13 of 74

Anyone finding some recordings refuse to play after this update?

Had it happen on three of them now, fortunately all BBC so could delete and use the in guide catch up.  

0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 74

@scointer 

I see nothing in your profile to suggest that you work for BT but your stalwart defence of everything BT goes above and beyond.

I don't normally take to this forum just to have a moan but I will make an exception in this case, it has nothing to do with change, it's just abysmal software.

If it in anyway represented Plex or any other streaming software that I know of then I would be delighted, the truth is that it couldn't be any different or any worse.

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 74

@Les-Gibson  I never once defended it I just gave the reasons they have done it (again this is all coded by YouView not BT) but if you want to make things up about me defending BT and complain feel free if it makes you feel better 😉

Why pick Plex which most casual users would never choose to use. I am talking about firetv, NowTV, roku etc the day to day streamers that most users will choose, most of those (also things like prime, Netflix, Disney+ etc all scroll up and down the screen for headers and across for content). I also am not saying I agree or that it is any way better or even close to those I am just passing on what I was told was the reason for the change (I prefer the old interface as well).

0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 74

@Stevek1311 

Not had that problem, just the classic & frustrating problem of scheduling a recording only to find that the first 5 or more minutes are all adverts and consequently the recording ends before the programme does

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 17 of 74

@scointerwrote:

@Les-Gibson  I never once defended it I just gave the reasons they have done it (again this is all coded by YouView not BT) but if you want to make things up about me defending BT and complain feel free if it makes you feel better 😉

Why pick Plex which most casual users would never choose to use. I am talking about firetv, NowTV, roku etc the day to day streamers that most users will choose, most of those (also things like prime, Netflix, Disney+ etc all scroll up and down the screen for headers and across for content). I also am not saying I agree or that it is any way better or even close to those I am just passing on what I was told was the reason for the change (I prefer the old interface as well).

Here a problem with mimicking that Fire menu view.   What if something is on live while I'm browsing my immediate recordings.  Last week I could hear the sound AND see the picture.  Now I can only hear the sound.

So this new scheme might appeal to those who never watch live TV but I suggest they are in the minority of users but possibly in the majority of software coders.  Always best to understand your customer base before you go fixing things that aren't actually broken.

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 74

Personally I would say the people that want to listen and watch something while at the same time browsing recordings for any period of time that would make it an issue were in the minority but there you go.

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 74

I don’t have this new homepage. Should I by now or is it still not finished it’s roll out? Not available as manual update.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 74

@stuartrogerson 

Lucky you, want to do a swap?

Seriously, you don't want it, it's terrible