Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 41 of 74

Re: New homepage on BT TV

@Stevek1311 

If I'm right, this awful homescreen is just a rewrite of the UI and all the underlying coding is unchanged, in which case there won't have been any beta testing

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
barnpiece
Expert
Message 42 of 74

In fact, it is not as good as the previous menu system. With that one, if you had moved along to MyTV then the tiles would change if, for example, a new recording started or a recording ended while you were viewing the tiles.

They would show the change in status. Also, you could delete a programme you had watched enough of even though it had not finished recording. With the new menu layout, the tiles do not change while you are within the menu system, and you cannot delete a programme that has not finished recording.

Richard

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 43 of 74

I can still delete an in progress recording so not sure why you are not able to?
0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 44 of 74

I just set a recording going from the EPG and then went into the menu and down to MyTV.
Moved right to the programme being recorded and pressed Delete key. Nothing happened.

I have to go into MyTV and press delete. Get Confirm delete message and can do it there.

Richard

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 74

@barnpiece  I believe that currently if you have a recording in progress  , when you are in the home page  and on the programme tile  you must first stop the recording using the R  remote button and then you would be able to use the DEL remote button. As you mention this is a difference between the homepage  MYTV line and the options available when you actually opt to enter MYTV by selecting the +MYTV option to bring up your recordings. As there is little in the way of guidance in using the MYTV and Watchlist options in the current BT user documentation it is difficult to judge whether this is correct implementation or a fault.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 46 of 74

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

@Stevek1311 

If I'm right, this awful homescreen is just a rewrite of the UI and all the underlying coding is unchanged, in which case there won't have been any beta testing

That would figure.  Of course the UI is the most important part of the design to get user beta test opinions on before releasing it to the wider world.

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 47 of 74

Beta testing is used both for testing functional changes, and user experience changes - and there are many hundreds of beta testers used for trials like this. The new menu was sent to beta testers long before it went live - I received it in March, and I know I wasn't in the first group. My feedback on it was that I liked the concept, but without any individualisation (i.e. customising the carousels based on the channels you watch, or the apps you use) it wasn't really of any benefit. I also don't like that the most recent recordings are at the beginning of the MyTV list, even when part of a series - so if I want to get to the "next" episode of a series (based on where I'm currently watching) I have to scroll along that carousel to find the correct one. I would have preferred it launched me into the series list to select the correct episode rather than accidentally play a newer episode and screw up my currently watching list. Also, my experience was based on using the new BT TV Box Pro, which is much faster - trying to use it on the G4 is painfully slow at times (the G5 is OK).

This is feedback that I raised, and I'm sure many others on the trials have raised it too ... which means that there will be tickets open for further investigation/fixes/improvements. The G4 is our most used box by far, so your voices aren't being ignored.
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 48 of 74

I think people would like to know when issues such as performance on the lower spec boxes will be addresssed and what other improvements and personalisation will occur. At the moment it is difficult for people to see the benefit of the time and development on implementing a new homepage. 

Whilst it is perhaps desirable to have a consistent home page bewween the new Pro box and the second generation BTTV Humax boxes it does seem that the new box currently has simply inherited the limations and quirks of the old Youview system.

0 Ratings
chris2400
Contributor
Message 49 of 74

It's horrible...imo. I can see no reason for it to happen. Very long winded. Secondly I had no idea it was happening at all. I just switched on one day only a few days ago an there it was. I actually thought there was a problem with my TV. That I had inadvertently change the settings myself. It is fine putting a message on the BT Community website but I am sure noy everyone logs on everyday. The only reason I logged on today was to send a question to the Community about something else.. So now I know I haven't changed the settings.

0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 50 of 74

For those who remember it, to me it looks like a Windows 98 machine running in safe mode

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄