cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 121 of 195

Re: New software release

@Chadwick45 wrote:
... and a BT test data channel on 900 which has an onscreen message which says "This channel will move to 475 on the 16th April, and soon afterwards will show a preview of BT TV. It can still be used as a test channel (It will remain unencrypted)"

I'm on VDSL Infinity and can view multicast on a BT Vision+ box and for me channel 900 says something slightly different.

BTTV-Test-Multicast-Channel.jpg

0 Ratings
cthatcham
Contributor
Message 122 of 195

Hi Sean

The programme was as detailed below and was on 6 April - I'd just missed the live broadcast:

My message on 6 April:

"It seems that for some programmes on I player the press i to watch on demand is available even though the (>) symbol is not displayed yet - I've just noticed this on

BBC2 where "Inspire: The Olympic Journey" has just acquired the (>) symbol but could not be viewed on catchup until it had the (>) symbol,

the subsequent programme "Great Barrier Reef" does not yet have the (>) yet can be watched by pressing the i button to get to the "play on demand" option. "

Sean, I don't watch BBC programmes very often and have just tried to replicate the issue today (15/4) but cannot do so at present - whether that is because the programmes on this afternoon / early evening are never destined to be on I player or whether the phenomenon we experienced earlier in the month was due to a glitch which has been resolved I don't know. 

I have checked again and am still on 15.14 with my DTRT1000.   The IP config is 92.   The box last updated software  on 3 March and last checked for updates on 3 April.   Interestingly if I try to force a manual update then I get:

"Sorry, an error occurred while trying to update your software. Please try again later.  Downloading failed.  Finish "

This has been happening for a few days now.  The update on demand players works fine having last checked today 15 April.

Kate

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Chadwick45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 123 of 195

Have just checked, the onscreen message is now as Umpire has posted, it must have changed in the last day or so, but is still clearly visible with an ADSL connection - I can't get infinity here yet!

Could this be the way the BT sport channels are to be delivered to none infinity customers, if, as rumoured the the terrestrial versions are to close? Are they to appear over copper multicast?
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 124 of 195

Guessing Steve_M has been given the hush hush sign as he was the only useful source of information on here for quite some time...

Take it that means we are back in the dark as to why the G4 boxes have been left with old firmware releases, BT bottom of the pile for customer support and the management ask 'why?', if all your customers communicated as much as you do you would be out of business....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 125 of 195

@Chadwick45 wrote:
Have just checked, the onscreen message is now as Umpire has posted, it must have changed in the last day or so, but is still clearly visible with an ADSL connection - I can't get infinity here yet!

Could this be the way the BT sport channels are to be delivered to none infinity customers, if, as rumoured the the terrestrial versions are to close? Are they to appear over copper multicast?

Interesting. If BT are to use the TV Connect ADSL multicast service then I assume that would still be reliant on any particular exchange having the multicast equipment installed? A limited number of BT Vision+ customers have received the SD sports channels over ADSL for the last 10 months where BT were able to provide it. 

Out of interest which multicast services (if any) does the BT Wholesale Coverage Checker indicate as available for your line? Copper multicast? Fibre multicast?

On the other hand if BT set up a unicast based service for the sports channels over ADSL then I assume it would have the advantage of working on existing ADSL exchanges/lines without any extra equipment requirements. Of course the major downside is that this method is a very inefficient use of the available core bandwidth. Multicast is the correct way to go in terms of efficiency and reliability.

0 Ratings
Chadwick45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 126 of 195

The BT Wholesale coverage checker states that copper multicast is available at my exchange.
0 Ratings
MooJuice
Aspiring Expert
Message 127 of 195

Multicast was also recently enabled at my local exchange...

0 Ratings
cthatcham
Contributor
Message 128 of 195

My DTRT1000 has just today updated to 18.3.0.

Isn't that the software which was giving the retail boxes some problems a couple of months ago?

I'm pretty sure that I remember a comment about BT omitting 18.3.0 and that instead we'd be upgrading to 19.0 with extra content instead?

If the 18.3.0 is the same as the retail update, has anything been done to prevent all the problems that it caused?  If not, I'll be somewhat nervous to use it since there were lots of reports of failed recordings, etc....

New features I've spotted so far although some of these I might not have noticed previously:

-  now can turn off mini tv

- colour scheme - better contrast option

- audio description on/off and audio description volume

- sign language on/off

- data share option  - able to opt out of sharing personal data with "our content partners" if choose to do so (default is shared, so you have to make that choice.)

- I was able to re-tune channels to pick up new channels without affecting my hidden channels 

- Synchronise Picture and Sound

- HDMI audio format ...surround - I don't remember seeing that before....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 129 of 195

The Youview (Humax) retail release that caused loads of problems was Manufacturer software: 17.2.1 in January - but that was never distributed to the BT boxes and Youview quickly stopped further distribution to its retail boxes.

The  next Youview (Humax) retail release  Manufacturer software: 17.3.0 in February was subsequently distributed to the new BT G4 boxes a few weeks later but not to the older BT DTRT1000 boxes. 

The  next Youview (Humax) retail release  Manufacturer software: 18.3.0 in March is the one that BT has been updating  the older BT DTRT1000 boxes recently.

I don't know any more about further releases other than has been mentioned on this forum but I would have thought it very likely that an update to the BT G4 software would be occurring soon as its current (17.3.0) software has (according to Youview) some issues whereby scheduled recordings will not complete correctly.

0 Ratings
cthatcham
Contributor
Message 130 of 195

Thanks Zulu17 !

Kate

0 Ratings