cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davedrizen
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

New standard Bt vision box v Youview box

I am bit confused, I know BT vision is about to start giving Humax Youview box to it subscribers I thought this was to replace the old silver BT vision Boxs howevervier I notice that bt has already started supplying new ( black) BT vision box's. Are the youview box replacing the these black standard  BT visions box or are both types still likely to be supplied. If the later what do you get on the black standard Bt vision that you can not get on the youview box?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: New standard Bt vision box v Youview box

@davedrizen wrote:

I am bit confused, I know BT vision is about to start giving Humax Youview box to it subscribers I thought this was to replace the old silver BT vision Boxs howevervier I notice that bt has already started supplying new ( black) BT vision box's. Are the youview box replacing the these black standard  BT visions box or are both types still likely to be supplied. If the later what do you get on the black standard Bt vision that you can not get on the youview box?

The BT YouView box is YouView (which can access BT Vision content) and the Black box is a specific BT Vision box. The YouView box can access the Freeview HD channels, has a bigger hard drive, a backwards EPG and future YouView upgrades. You do have to pay £49 + delivery for it. Have a look at the YouView website for more information.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 15

The 1st generation BT Vision box was the grey one you refer to.

The 2nd generation BT Vision black box has been in use for a few years now.

There are suggestions that BT are testing a 3rd generation BT Vision HD box, but this is still under development and there are no official details on that yet.

The BT Youview HD box will be a separate thing. It is not designed to replace the BT Vision boxes. It gives those who want to make use of other non-BT Youview services an option to do that. However the BT Vision services via Youview will not be as comprehensive as those provided via the official BT Vision boxes.

See this BT help page.

BT Youview v BT Vision

Also see this previous thread discussing the differences.

Bt-vision-2-vs-you-view

Personally I don't really see the point of BT having their own branded Youview box. If people want a Youview box they can just go and choose one from those on offer in the shops. As far as I know Sky have no plans to create a Sky branded Youview box, yet they will still offer services on Youview. But who am I to say. 

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

@umpire wrote:

Personally I don't really see the point of BT having their own branded Youview box. If people want a Youview box they can just go and choose one from those on offer in the shops. As far as I know Sky have no plans to create a Sky branded Youview box, yet they will still offer services on Youview. But who am I to say. 

I don't have over £250 to spend on a new box in the shops. I am definately signing up to the BT YouView box in 2 weeks, as I will be getting a great box for a fraction of the cost.

0 Ratings
davedrizen
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

thanks for your replys, so if you want sky sports from Bt you have to have the standard youview box. Dose this mean that if you change to the Youview box, when BT Vision starts it coverage live Premirship football next year it will not be available to subscibers that have opted for the Youview box?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
davedrizen
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

The sky box is being updated to include most of the catch up service that are now on youview
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 15

One interesting question is what level of support will BT provide for the BT Youview boxes?

Will they be obliged to provide comprehensive support for them as they are BT branded boxes, or will they just point people in the direction of the standard Youview and Humax websites and helplines? 

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

@davedrizen wrote:

thanks for your replys, so if you want sky sports from Bt you have to have the standard youview box. Dose this mean that if you change to the Youview box, when BT Vision starts it coverage live Premirship football next year it will not be available to subscibers that have opted for the Youview box?

No, Dave, this is not what it means.

Sky Sports is not available via BT on a YouView box, but it is via a BT Vision box.

When BT Vision starts its live coverage Premiership football next year it is unknown what the situation will be. My own guesstamate is that it will be available via both boxes, but this is just a guess.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

@umpire wrote:

One interesting question is what level of support will BT provide for the BT Youview boxes?

Will they be obliged to provide comprehensive support for them as they are BT branded boxes, or will they just point people in the direction of the standard Youview and Humax websites and helplines? 

No, umpire. BT will be responsible for their own branded boxes.

May I ask, how do you know there will be less content via the BT Player than on a standard Vision box?

Oh, and your right about the new BT Vision 2.0 HD box that is currently in testing. It was the Pace YV boxes that BT rejected, as not fit for high spec purpose.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

@davedrizen wrote:

The 1st generation BT Youview box will not support the current Sky Sports 1&2 and ESPN channels delivered via Feeview. As far as I'm aware the Humax box has no viewing card slot. You have to use the standard BT Vision box and a viewing card to get those.

In the future things may change and the sports channels may be provided by BT via IPTV rather than Freeview. We will just have to wait and see.

0 Ratings