cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
undercoverelephant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

New to BT - cannot access any internet channels - please heyalp!

Go to solution

Hi

Moved from Sky TV/BB yesterday to Infinity 2 - speeds are great, the Youview Ultra HD box streams from the BT Player box sets but I just get the black screen then IPC6023 on any internet channel.  I have paid for the kids channels - not bothered about the Sports at all - but nothing on any internet channels at all. After doing all the recommended stuff, I contacted the chat help and they said it was my powerline adapters not being compatible and have ordered me some free of charge.  However, I felt a bit fobbed off so moved everything within reach of the router and wired the box directly and it is the same.   Within the BT Player where you check the broadband speed, it says 'not good enough for UHD' when I use my powerlines, but says it is fast enough when wired directly to the hub. The engineer who connected the router this morning said i was getting nearly 80Mb, subsequent checks on a browser showing 75+ down, 18 up. 

The helpdesk said everything looked configured/completed their end -  and now I have tried the direct connection I now know the 3 day wait for the BT powerlines will be a complete waste of time, I wondered how I should approach this - could perhaps one of the mods look into it for me please?  I don't know if I can face a third round of support chat.....

I am a little suspicious that we are one of the very first connected up to the new fibre cabinet - fibre only just became available in our area - so I wondered if perhaps there is some config that has not been done at the exchange - potentially we could be the first ones on that fibre box that has BT TV as well as broadband so the first ones to encounter this issue

I've wasted hours this evening troubleshooting this  - it will be bittersweet if I get up in the morning and the answer was to just 'wait' - but given the number of people having this issue I'm a bit sceptical that all will be resolved without some help

Apologies if some of this makes no sense - I have broadband fatigue and need sleep.....

Best regards

Mike

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: New to BT - cannot access any internet channels - please heyalp!

Go to solution
You can test the Multicast stream, attach a laptop to the Homehub, install a program called VLC, "Open Network Stream" on the "Test Channel" (rtp://234.81.130.4:5802)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

First do some broadband checks.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Or post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

0 Ratings
undercoverelephant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Many thanks for the reply - here are the results.  I did an independant speed test and it was showing as 76Mb

ADSL Products Downstream Line 1

Fixed Rate 1

Availability Date Available

Other Offerings

ADSL Multicast Available

Those are the only values populated ( couldn't paste grid )

It is a HH6, so I used your link to get this:

Serial number:

+084317+NQ62368925

Firmware version:

SG4B100021EC

Firmware updated:

12/05/16

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 11 Hours 19 Minutes 35 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 kbps / 79.99 kbps

Maximum data rate:

24681 / 81096

Noise margin:

15.4 / 6.8

Line attenuation:

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

293 MB Uploaded / 1103 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-7QZQ

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-7QZQ

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Band steering:

Off

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

90:4D:4A:26:F6:CE

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

I'm off to try the VLC thing now

Best regards

Mike

0 Ratings
undercoverelephant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

You can test the Multicast stream, attach a laptop to the Homehub, install a program called VLC, "Open Network Stream" on the "Test Channel" (rtp://234.81.130.4:5802)

Okay, done that - it doesn't play anything,  no error or anything, just doesn't do anything

Regards

Mike

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hello, seems like a config provision issue all day. Please send me your details in a private message and i'll take a look at this. Landline telephone number will do. Thanks. Jay.

Community ModeratorJayN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
undercoverelephant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Jay

PM sent.

However, I have just been told by BT that our exchange it not multicast enabled and therefore should not have been able to order the package??  Sounds odd. I don't have a high confidence with the chats I have had though - is that something you can verify?

Frustratingly for me, I have now moved from Sky to BT as it was the best  'like for like' option, but now it is nothing like that - if I am just going to have good BB and no other 'value add', I might as well go through a plusnet deal or suchlike.  

Regards

Mike 

0 Ratings
undercoverelephant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Slight update - current thinking is that it should be enabled, but something needs doing on BT's end which could take up to 5 days to be looked at. Bumpy start.....

Note to self - don't be an early adopter, let someone else take the pain Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
undercoverelephant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks  so much Jay - peace has now been restored in our house once more Smiley Happy

Whatever settings you changed at the Exchange has resolved my issues - I can now get the internet channels I am paying for. After being told by the support line that multicast is simply not available on my exchange, it's great that this forum exists to enable us to get a more technical line of enquiry - it is much appreciated

Best regards

Michael

0 Ratings