cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arifax
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

New user - two questions

Just moved to BT form Sky.  I have a couple of questions and would be grateful for any suggestions or assistance:

1)  The Sky box has a an analogue output which I used to pick up and add to the analogue co-ax circuit so that whatever was being played could be watched in any room (or any room with an aerial socket at least).  I see the Humax box doesn't have an analogue output.  It does have SCART but a couple of years ago I tried passing a SCART output from a DVD player through a modulator and adding it to the coax circuit and the result was abysmal.

What's the best way of sharing the signal being played from the Humax box around the house?

2)  We won't miss much from Sky, but we will miss the movie channels and box office.  What do people recommend as the main source for library movies, and the main source for pay per view of the recent box office releases?  I see that TalkTalk YouView has LoveFilm box office but BT does not.  You can't even have BT Vision with YouView from BT!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Geoff

Geoff
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: New user - two questions

@Arifax wrote:
...  You can't even have BT Vision with YouView from BT!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Geoff

Not sure where you got that idea from. In order to get the Youview from BT box you need to subscribe to BT Vision. 

See  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/how-to-get-youview 

If you subscribe to the Essentials package you can pay extra to rent Box Office films on an individual basis.

If you subscribe to the Unlimited package you get Vision Film for free but still have to pay extra for Box Office films.

0 Ratings
Arifax
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I got that idea from two sources.

First, when signing up and selecting you TV package, you are only offered TV essentials with YouView. If you select either of the other packages, you are offered a BT Vision box and an explanation that the "extra channels" are not available on YouView.

The second source was the BT rep who chatted with me on line as I went thought the sign up process. Atbfirstbshe said thatbI could have any Vision package with YouView provided I didn't want a sports channel. The she changed her mind and said that only Vision Essentials was available.
Geoff
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

The "Extra Channels" are not the same as "TV Unlimited". Unless things have changed since I last looked there are four versions of BT Vision for BT broadband/phone customers.

(£ 5.00)   BT Vision TV Essential

(£ 7.00)   BT Vision TV Essential Extra

(£12.50)  BT Vision TV Unlimited

(£15.00)  BT Vision TV Unlimited Extra

The "Extra" versions include 18 extra channels (plus the 4 Freeview HD channels) delivered via broadband and at this time are not available on the Youview from BT box. This might change in future but BT have not revealed any definite plans.

Here is info about the Extra packages that are available only on the BT Vision+ boxes. 

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=35463 

If both the web site sign-up process and sales reps are now also saying that the normal £12.50 TV Unlimited package is not available on the Youview from BT box then BT should change that web page I linked to in my previous reply. It is news to me if true. Has anybody else been told this?

Apologies if I'm out of date. Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

FYI.

The Sky Sports 1 & 2 channels are available as an extra cost add-on to the TV packages I mentioned above. The Unlimited packages include ESPN. But like the extra channels, these sports channels are only currently accessible via the BT Vision+ box and not the Youview from BT box.

There are big changes due later this year on the sports front as BT Sport will be launching. Full details yet to be revealed.

Going back to the original point. If you are on the TV Essential package then you are getting BT Vision on the Youview from BT box. I assume your point was that you aren't able to access the Vision Film content?

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

i've just checked the bt website and you get choice of essentials or unlimited with youview

details here

0 Ratings
Arifax
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Yes. Thanks to everyone and don't I feel stupid!

I was confusing the three Vision packages and their extra (non sports) channel with the YouView options. Silly me.

Having said that,if you get a spare momentnlogmonto the site and pretend you are a new customer. Star with a TV package, and you will see how easy it is to make my mistake.
Geoff
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Certainly not stupid. BT have managed to create a very complex offering by having different boxes and different services available to different customers. It is actually more complicated than previously mentioned (are you Infinity enabled?, multicast enabled?, etc) but I won't go into that now. Even the sales reps get confused as you found out.

Here is some possible good news. If you wanted to upgrade from the TV Essentials to the TV Unlimited then BT shouldn't have a problem with that. It is in the terms and conditions that you can upgrade to a more costly package during the 12 month minimum term period, but you can't downgrade to a cheaper one until the 12 month period has been completed.

The TV Unlimited would give you free access to the Vision Film on-demand content (as well as other stuff), but you would still have to pay extra for Vision Box Office films. However, I think you are right to ask the original question of how people think that compares to any other film options like LoveFilm or NetFlix. Best to be sure you really want it before you sign up to anything for a year. I don't have access to Vision Film so can't comment on that. I have the BT Vision+ box and the sports channels so I'm no expert on the Youview box or services.

This might be of use.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/whats-on/film-tv-guide

0 Ratings
Arifax
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks.

Now all I need to know is:

1. I have ordered a separate YouView box or another room, but I now think that means I will have the full BT service in one room, but just a per in the other - I can't have both streaming Vision material.

2. With Sky, I used to use RF signal from the Sky box and add it to the house circuit so the same diwnlad (film usually) could be watched in several rooms. The YouView box doesn't have an RF output. I tried putting a SCART output (from a DVD player) through a modulator for the same purpose and the result WS hopeless. Does anyone have a better idea?

3. Finally, I can get Neetflix and Lovefilm on several devices and Blink on one. Which service do people recommend for recent ppv films? For example, apart from Sky, which service got "Jack Reacher" last week?

Once again, thanks to anyone who can help.
Geoff
0 Ratings