Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 281 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@Jim-lad wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

Unfortunately I doubt that manually adjusting the times will ever be added seeing as it's a very long outstanding request.

Others can do it but Youview seem content to rely on Accurate Recording , the signal from the broadcaster to start & stop a recording.

And for the most part it works very well.  Padding would be the very last thing on my wish list, if it was on there at all.  The only time AR comes unstuck is on the more minor channels who either don't use it or have it badly implemented.

Padding often creates more problems than it solves. 

It's not just the minor channels that the Youview boxes screw up on with AR. On testing recordings on BBC and ITV using AR the Youview box isn't as accurate as a Freeview pvr. 

On top of all that the internet delivered channels are terrible when it comes to recording complete programmes.

They won't introduce padding as Youview don't wish to recognise the demand for it nor the obvious advantages of giving the customer the 'choice' of either using it or not.

Padding only creates problems if people don't take the time out to implement it properly on their devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 282 of 654

@MadRob wrote:

@Jim-lad wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

Unfortunately I doubt that manually adjusting the times will ever be added seeing as it's a very long outstanding request.

Others can do it but Youview seem content to rely on Accurate Recording , the signal from the broadcaster to start & stop a recording.

And for the most part it works very well.  Padding would be the very last thing on my wish list, if it was on there at all.  The only time AR comes unstuck is on the more minor channels who either don't use it or have it badly implemented.

It's not just the minor channels that the Youview boxes screw up on with AR. On testing recordings on BBC and ITV using AR the Youview box isn't as accurate as a Freeview pvr. 

On top of all that the internet delivered channels are terrible when it comes to recording complete programmes.

They won't introduce padding as Youview don't wish to recognise the demand for it nor the obvious advantages of giving the customer the 'choice' of either using it or not.

Padding only creates problems if people don't take the time out to implement it properly on their devices.

Insulting claptrap. Padding causes issues when you want to record consecutive programmes on the same channel whilst there is a simultaneous recording on another channel. 

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 283 of 654

Indeed it is not "insulting claptrap" and I'm sorry you feel you have to fire that sort of language at me. It is totally uncalled for and unacceptable behaviour. 

Along with padding comes the ability to edit recordings which means a lot to those who understand how padding works. It is very easy to edit the recordings you know won't work or which are most important to you without the need to implement 'global' padding across all recordings. It works on other platforms so why not Youview? It makes the Freesat recorders the ideal choice for my recording needs. 

User choice isn't something Youview believe in.

0 Ratings
Message 284 of 654

Hi Everyone,

Please keep it friendly.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 285 of 654

Thank you @NeilO

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 286 of 654

@MadRob wrote:

@Jim-lad wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

It's the same signal regardless of platform so it's not a scenario I recognise at all.  I have tested this before using my Freesat box, Freeview PVR and Youview and the results never seem to vary. 

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 287 of 654

@MadRob wrote:

Indeed it is not "insulting claptrap" and I'm sorry you feel you have to fire that sort of language at me. It is totally uncalled for and unacceptable behaviour. 

Along with padding comes the ability to edit recordings which means a lot to those who understand how padding works. It is very easy to edit the recordings you know won't work or which are most important to you without the need to implement 'global' padding across all recordings. It works on other platforms so why not Youview? It makes the Freesat recorders the ideal choice for my recording needs. 

User choice isn't something Youview believe in.

But you can't edit programmes on Youview just the same as it isn't DLNA compliant.  You need to use the Freeview platform either in isolation or as an addition to Youview if you want those features.  The Humax box should suit you nicely. 

I realised all the limitations with Youview before I subscribed.  I do however have other Humax boxes which can do the things you are asking for. Example - that is what I use if I'm wanting to copy and archive something in particular (has to be in SD).

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 288 of 654

@Jim-lad wrote It's the same signal regardless of platform so it's not a scenario I recognise at all

That is something you should tell Youview who have informed people in the past who have complained about AR not working as accurately on the platform of their intentions to chase this up with the broadcasters. In multiple tests it has been proved that Freeview, Freesat, and Youview can all behave differently whilst recording the same programme from the same source. I know it might seem strange, it certainly does to me, but it would seem that the signals are sent differently to each platform (at least that's what's been implied in the past).

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 289 of 654

For certain AR is sent differently on the internet channels such as BT Sport but the only Freeview channel I record on my Youview box is BBC1 which seems to be reliable for AR so cannot speak to AR not working for Freeview channels in general.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 290 of 654

Talking generally it is a myth that one particular Freeview accessable device can access AR better than another, as the AR is provided by the DTT guide not the box.

As for padding being available, YouView have stated numerous times this isn't something they ever want to introduce.

0 Ratings