cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srpsrp
Aspiring Expert
Message 341 of 410

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

I really don't see how adding a manual timer option could be that complicated. Sky have had this from day 1 since not all Astra channels are in their planner. One reason for not implementing it might be to reduce bandwidth usage?

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 342 of 410

srpsrp wrote:

I really don't see how adding a manual timer option could be that complicated.

It isn't and it doesn't use any extra bandwidth.

They don't want to do it.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Contributor
Message 343 of 410

Keyinferno wrote:

Andy005 wrote:

hyper01 wrote:
It would be nice if the product could actually record one program accurately, it cannot.

Agree with you on this. Although the broadcaster is at fault, the bulk of the problem is due to a poorly designed box. A simple to operate box is all well and good if it does what it's supposed to.

It does. But if I may -

A simple to operate box is all well and good if the broadcaster does what it's supposed to.

YouView have stated on numerous occasions they have no intention, either past present or future of introducing padding on boxes. But before someone says "They should!!", they're not.

There's nothing wrong with not having padding if it records accurately. Padding isn't necessarily the answer either, my Freesat box has +2mins added to the start/finish, but I'm still losing the end of some of the first showing of Rookie Blue, and they're shown back to back. That tells me that the software isn't the best, a simple rule should be that back to back recordings on the same channel should run contiuously. 

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 344 of 410

There's nothing wrong with not having padding if it records accurately. Padding isn't necessarily the answer either, my Freesat box has +2mins added to the start/finish, but I'm still losing the end of some of the first showing of Rookie Blue, and they're shown back to back. That tells me that the software isn't the best, a simple rule should be that back to back recordings on the same channel should run contiuously. 

Agree. I had padding on two BT Vision boxes which caused problems in themselves. So no, its as imperfect as any other 'solution'.

"a simple rule should be that back to back recordings on the same channel should run contiuously."

Nah man, that makes far too much sense.  :-) 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Aspiring Expert
Message 345 of 410

Andy005 wrote:

Keyinferno wrote:

Andy005 wrote:

hyper01 wrote:
It would be nice if the product could actually record one program accurately, it cannot.

Agree with you on this. Although the broadcaster is at fault, the bulk of the problem is due to a poorly designed box. A simple to operate box is all well and good if it does what it's supposed to.

It does. But if I may -

A simple to operate box is all well and good if the broadcaster does what it's supposed to.

YouView have stated on numerous occasions they have no intention, either past present or future of introducing padding on boxes. But before someone says "They should!!", they're not.

Which software are we discussing accurate record or something else.  I think from memory Rookie Blue is on 5USA.  If so then don't expect to get the begining and the end as I don't think 5USA uses accurate record.

Channel 5 struggles with their main channel and accurate record.  I get programmes in a series I've already recorded being re-recorded at some ungodly hour when they are being shown yet again.  This should not happen with accurate record and series link but Channel 5 just doesn't appear competent to implement this system correctly.

Back to back recordings don't run continously on any platform that I'm aware of.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Aspiring Expert
Message 346 of 410

Andy005 wrote:

hyper01 wrote:

You admit the broadcaster is the one at fault but then claim the bulk of the problem is due to a poorly designed box??????

That one has me completely flummoxed. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jim-lad
Aspiring Expert
Message 347 of 410

hyper01 wrote:

If you have a bad meal in a restuarant do you blame the waiter who brought you the meal or the chef?

It's just the same with BT Youview, think of them as the 'waiter' and think of the broadcaster as the 'chef'. 

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 348 of 410

hyper01 wrote:

That is quite simply not true.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Contributor
Message 349 of 410

Yes it is on 5USA @Jim-lad, I usually don't have a problem with the C5 group of channels myself.

I've only had BT/Freesat for 4 months, but in that time I've had more missed programme endings than I ever had with my previous supplier, not that I counted them but it was a rare event. The only thing that has changed is the equipment, so whilst the broadcasters occasionally overrun, or start early as ITV sometimes do, the large increase in incomplete recordings that I'm getting can only be due to the box.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Aspiring Expert
Message 350 of 410

Jim-lad wrote:

hyper01 wrote:

If you have a bad meal in a restuarant do you blame the waiter who brought you the meal or the chef?

It's just the same with BT Youview, think of them as the 'waiter' and think of the broadcaster as the 'chef'. 

Or try another analogy

If you know it's going to rain whose umbrella make do you use and recommend others to use.  The one full of holes or the one that isn't?

A PVR without soft padding is like an umbrella with holes.  It works for some raindrops (broadcasters) but for others it doesn't.  We are told above that YouView have made their choice, they wish to sell the PVR equivalent of umbrellas with holes.  It's hardly a great brand strategy and one has to wonder how long BTwill tolerate selling a PVR that doesn't have padding, manual recording or jump to replay point rubbing off as being their brand reputation.

0 Ratings