Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 511 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@Stevek1311wrote:

@TimCurtiswrote:

As that is probably the most requested feature to be re-instated and nothing has been done in 2 years  I doubt very much that it'll ever reappear.

The promise of much speedier development with the switch to HTML5 doesn't seem to have been realised. Very little new stuff has been added in the past 2 years so just what is going on over at Youview?

I had 30+years developing software and if in 2 years working on my own I could only show the progress that Youview has made over that time I'd have given up and taken a different career.

More like you'd have been sacked.   Maybe some at YouView have as this has been one of the biggest consumer software fiascos I have seen.  A desperate leap to include some of the features of Sky-Q without grasping key fundamentals.  And then 18 months of denial and blunt refusal to say sorry, actually promise a fix or let users revert back to what was working fine.   For them to then go seeking and bragging about those very sus consumer magazine awards was just taunting the real YV user community (ie not that beta testing community whose aim in life is to have something that doesn't work so they can feel important).  Oh and using sly tactics to silence criticism on their own forum shows their true values.

Well BT by acquiescing in this and making no public statements of criticism of YV you have well and truly tainted your brand.  Just who they think was fooled might make interesting reading.

Going to be very interesting to see what the new BT CEO (when they can find one) will do when he/she realises what's been going on with the YouView money pit

Ohooooo... the venom.

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 512 of 654

@Keyinfernowrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@TimCurtiswrote:

As that is probably the most requested feature to be re-instated and nothing has been done in 2 years  I doubt very much that it'll ever reappear.

The promise of much speedier development with the switch to HTML5 doesn't seem to have been realised. Very little new stuff has been added in the past 2 years so just what is going on over at Youview?

I had 30+years developing software and if in 2 years working on my own I could only show the progress that Youview has made over that time I'd have given up and taken a different career.

More like you'd have been sacked.   Maybe some at YouView have as this has been one of the biggest consumer software fiascos I have seen.  A desperate leap to include some of the features of Sky-Q without grasping key fundamentals.  And then 18 months of denial and blunt refusal to say sorry, actually promise a fix or let users revert back to what was working fine.   For them to then go seeking and bragging about those very sus consumer magazine awards was just taunting the real YV user community (ie not that beta testing community whose aim in life is to have something that doesn't work so they can feel important).  Oh and using sly tactics to silence criticism on their own forum shows their true values.

Well BT by acquiescing in this and making no public statements of criticism of YV you have well and truly tainted your brand.  Just who they think was fooled might make interesting reading.

Going to be very interesting to see what the new BT CEO (when they can find one) will do when he/she realises what's been going on with the YouView money pit

Ohooooo... the venom.

Plus the usual OTT exaggerated complaints about a service that works and meets the needs of all but a handful critics, if this forum is anything to go by. If people want Sky Q features, then we’ll subscribe to Sky.

srpsrp
Expert
Message 513 of 654

I tend to agree with a lot of what he wrote actually, you could perhaps forgive lack of new features but failure to address serious issues such as inability to filter or manage recordings kind of makes one wonder if BT is even interested in staying in the pay TV PVR game.

Compare to the up-and-coming streaming services this is where all the investment and cool stuff is happening BT could at least make sure what they do offer works properly. Then to add on a 5 quid price increase is beyond the pale I've managed to find a 2 gigabyte unlimited 4G contract for not much more than that, what were BT offering in the term for my £5 besides more annoyance?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 514 of 654

@srpsrpwrote:

I tend to agree with a lot of what he wrote actually, you could perhaps forgive lack of new features but failure to address serious issues such as inability to filter or manage recordings.

Hi srpsrp

What do you mean by 'the inability to filter or manage recordings?'

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 515 of 654

MJH62 - 'Plus the usual OTT exaggerated complaints about a service that works and meets the needs of all but a handful critics.'

As you said, if one wanted the features of a SKY Q or even a Freeview Play (features model dependent) one would simply get one. With any sting that would entail.

I personally think the all the YouViews teams are moving in a positive forward direction, which they have put a lot of work into.

0 Ratings
tramdev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 516 of 654

@Keyinfernowrote:

MJH62 - 'Plus the usual OTT exaggerated complaints about a service that works and meets the needs of all but a handful critics.'

As you said, if one wanted the features of a SKY Q or even a Freeview Play (features model dependent) one would simply get one. With any sting that would entail.

I do not want Sky or anything else - I just want what I had originally and was taken away.

If you do not require those functions you are lucky - but please do not run down those who do.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 517 of 654

@tramdevwrote:

@Keyinfernowrote:

I do not want Sky or anything else - I just want what I had originally and was taken away.

If you do not require those functions you are lucky - but please do not run down those who do.

I'm still running an Ultra box with OldGen which I very much prefer to NextGen. Unfortunately the only way to prevent failed recordings is to keep it disconnected from the internet.

Give me back lists - I hate tiles, jump to time,alternative recording options (HD instead or SD etc) and delete current episode or whole series from the schedule and I'd embrace NextGen wholeheartedly.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 518 of 654

@tramdevwrote:

@Keyinfernowrote:

I'd never run anyone down. And that wasn't my intention.

@TimCurtis

In all honesty, you want what you can't have because they are never going to go back. Only forward.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 519 of 654

@Keyinferno

Trouble is we're not really going forward, in 2 years progress has been snail like with little more than fixing some of the incredibly poor design features when NextGen was released. I'm mainly referring to some of the playback recordings navigation.

And then there's the little things like you're in your schedule or recordings & realise you need to schedule something , in OldGen you hit Guide , do it & press Back & you're back where you were. NextGen unfortunately doesn't work like that, pressing Back is the same as Close.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 520 of 654

Yes, very little things.

0 Ratings