Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srpsrp
Expert
Message 521 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@Keyinfernowrote:

@srpsrpwrote:

I tend to agree with a lot of what he wrote actually, you could perhaps forgive lack of new features but failure to address serious issues such as inability to filter or manage recordings.

Hi srpsrp

What do you mean by 'the inability to filter or manage recordings?'

it's not rocket science, just the ability to list alphabetically, select whether to show only viewed recordings perhaps be able to see which folders are taking up most space... you know like it used to be and still is on most proper PVRs.

The box has a 1 terabyte disk in it you can get hundreds of recordings and they are completely unmanageable, even the way the icons all change position every time you delete a program is poor.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 522 of 654

A BT YouView has 500GB, not 1 Terabyte. Unless you are a trialist and know something the general population doesn't?

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 523 of 654

@Keyinfernowrote:

As you said, if one wanted the features of a SKY Q or even a Freeview Play (features model dependent) one would simply get one.

Not an option if the programme content you want to watch is not on those other platforms.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 524 of 654

@Keyinfernowrote:

A BT YouView has 500GB, not 1 Terabyte. Unless you are a trialist and know something the general population doesn't?

@Keyinferno the G5 UHD box DOES have a 1TB disk. Not very well explained but you can see below that the UHD box will record twice as much as the G4 hence the 500GB against 1TB.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/tv/boxes/

The boxes

YouView

YouView+

YouView Ultra HD

Catch up TV (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 etc)

Pause and rewind live TV

Record

-

Record up to 300 hours

Record up to 600 hours

UHD compatible

-

-

TV Packages

Starter

Essential, Classic or Entertainment

Max 4K

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 525 of 654

@Keyinfernowrote:

@tramdevwrote:

@Keyinfernowrote:

MJH62 - 'Plus the usual OTT exaggerated complaints about a service that works and meets the needs of all but a handful critics.'

As you said, if one wanted the features of a SKY Q or even a Freeview Play (features model dependent) one would simply get one. With any sting that would entail.

I do not want Sky or anything else - I just want what I had originally and was taken away.

If you do not require those functions you are lucky - but please do not run down those who do.

I'd never run anyone down. And that wasn't my intention.

@TimCurtis

In all honesty, you want what you can't have because they are never going to go back. Only forward.

And that's what we're judging them on.  Pig headed obstinacy

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 526 of 654

@Keyinfernowrote:

MJH62 - 'Plus the usual OTT exaggerated complaints about a service that works and meets the needs of all but a handful critics.'

As you said, if one wanted the features of a SKY Q or even a Freeview Play (features model dependent) one would simply get one. With any sting that would entail.

I personally think the all the YouViews teams are moving in a positive forward direction, which they have put a lot of work into.

But I never wanted the features of a Sky-Q box.  It's very disingenuous of you to keep suggesting anyone did

What I did and do want is the features my BT YV had 2 years ago

- jump to playback time

- see recordings in lists

- see at same time how many episodes of multiple series you have recorded

- red button text

- record and playback of radio

- a box I can trust not to fail to record

But some fool chief designer didn't have a properly captured requirements specification of what a YV box did so apparently decided the requirement was just the things they could quickly remember.  Then they either didn't have or didn't listen to proper system test and beta test teams.

And of course we know they'd already got a deadline to ship Next Gen so they saw the classic dilemna of software development teams.  Do you ship when the product acceptably meets requirements or do you ship when the deadline arrives and hope no one notices?    Professional development teams of repute do the former, amateurs and charlatans do the latter.    Companies that care about their brand employ the former, rogues the latter even if by subcontract.  And guess what that makes BT look like

0 Ratings
Holgate001
Contributor
Message 527 of 654

Thanks stevek1311

I agree with your post entirely.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 528 of 654

@Stevek1311

I'll go along with that as well. That won't surprise many Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 529 of 654

@scointerwrote:

@Keyinferno  the G5 UHD box DOES have a 1TB disk. Not very well explained but you can see below that the UHD box will record twice as much as the G4 hence the 500GB against 1TB. 

Not if your recording UHD 4K content it won't. But now we're picking.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 530 of 654

@TimCurtiswrote:

@Keyinferno

Trouble is we're not really going forward, in 2 years progress has been snail like with little more than fixing some of the incredibly poor design features when NextGen was released. I'm mainly referring to some of the playback recordings navigation.

And then there's the little things like you're in your schedule or recordings & realise you need to schedule something , in OldGen you hit Guide , do it & press Back & you're back where you were. NextGen unfortunately doesn't work like that, pressing Back is the same as Close.

There is the old saying of 2 steps forward and 1 back.  However, BT/Youview appear to have refined this and have now come up with 1 step forward and 2 back which essentially means we're going backwards.

I decided some time ago that BT/Youview are not really interested in listening to their customers unless it chimes with their own narrative.  That is why I gave notice to quit at then end of my contract in 2 months time.

Freeview Play plus Netflix will adequately serve our needs.

0 Ratings