Stevek1311
Expert
Message 541 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@MJH62wrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Keyinfernowrote:

@Jim-ladwrote: 
I've had my current Freesat 1000s for years - trouble free.

Such reports aren't unusual and in truth are the norm. Its a top box. If they added more on demand services such that YouView has, it could be a platform killer. But I'd ignore that A516 blog, as there are a few inaccuracies in it.

I've heard good of FreeSat boxes too but the weakness with Sat delivered TV is it is far more sensitive to bad weather than terrestial delivery.  If I had to choose between Sat or Terrestial for just one recording box I might plump for the terrestial but then why choose when it's easy to have both?

Not true in my experience.  I have both and I can recall one example in 10 years when I’ve any interference with my satellite signal. Terrestrial signals are far more prone to weather. 

Were Sky paying you to defend their box against YV? 

Rain loss of Sky signal is a known issue, we often see it and always has been as you'd have realised if you were able to use Google or Bing

Here have just one of many example articles:  https://www.lifewire.com/satellite-storm-reception-loss-3276178

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 542 of 654

@Stevek1311wrote:

@MJH62wrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Keyinfernowrote:

@Jim-ladwrote: 

Such reports aren't unusual and in truth are the norm. Its a top box. If they added more on demand services such that YouView has, it could be a platform killer. But I'd ignore that A516 blog, as there are a few inaccuracies in it.

I've heard good of FreeSat boxes too but the weakness with Sat delivered TV is it is far more sensitive to bad weather than terrestial delivery.  If I had to choose between Sat or Terrestial for just one recording box I might plump for the terrestial but then why choose when it's easy to have both?

Not true in my experience.  I have both and I can recall one example in 10 years when I’ve any interference with my satellite signal. Terrestrial signals are far more prone to weather.

Rain loss of Sky signal is a known issue, we often see it and always has been as you'd have realised if you were able to use Google or Bing

Here have just one of many example articles:  https://www.lifewire.com/satellite-storm-reception-loss-3276178

This is the really odd thing.  We used to lose reception via our dish (when we had Sky) whenever we had heavy rain or snow.  To my knowledge since we moved to Freesat it's only happened once in the past 6 years.  It's the same dish in the same position, the only variable being it's now connected to Freesat.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 543 of 654

I've had freesat for a year now @Jim-lad and not had any weather interference. I would occasionally get it with Sky but it wasn't a major problem.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 544 of 654

MJH62

"Not true in my experience.  I have both and I can recall one example in 10 years when I’ve any interference with my satellite signal. Terrestrial signals are far more prone to weather."

srpsrp

"several million satellite subscribers still seem to get by OK!"

Having both, I agree with both these opinions. 

0 Ratings
Message 545 of 654

Hi Everyone,

Please keep your posts friendly and on topic, we want everyone to feel comfortable when they post. 

I would also like to remind everyone that the purpose of the BT community forum is for the discussion of BT Products and services so please refrain from discussing competitors products and services.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
gareth_r
Beginner
Message 546 of 654

I haven't found any mention of this, so apologies if it's been raised before.
If you are watching a recording in progress, and you fast forward, to miss one of those repeated documentary explanations of what you were watching before the ad break, say (not, of course, to miss the ads :)), and you reach the end of the recording, Youview doesn't drop you back into the recording. It acts as it does at the end of a completed recording, and you have to go "back", replay, and FF.
Obviously, this is the design, and not a bug, but I think it would be a nice feature if the FF just stopped and went back into playing the recording.
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 547 of 654

@Stevek1311wrote:

@MJH62wrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Keyinfernowrote:

@Jim-ladwrote: 

I have Freesat not Sky and I can only comment on what I experience, ie that I get virtually zero interference on my satellite dish. I find it best to base my comments on facts and experience and to avoid believing everything I read in articles and not taking most things posted on message boards as bearing any semblance of being representative of the population.

0 Ratings
Message 548 of 654

perhaps working radio recordings could go on the list?

maybe for now as well as the future?

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 549 of 654

Can't we pleeeeeease have a manual recording capability, it would solve so many problems. For one I wouldn't have to record for 4hrs to record the MotoGP qualifying on BT sport. For some obscure reason the races (moto3, moto2 & motogp) are all listed seperatly for race day but qualifying is just listed as one long show. Manual recording would be very helpfull in such circumstances.

hyper01
Contributor
Message 550 of 654

Unfortunately never going to happen.

BT have zero regard for the customers, I raised this many times and the response is 'if you don't like it go elsewhere'.
0 Ratings