cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
srpsrp
Expert
378 Views
Message 571 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

What I meant was that sky is cheaper and more flexible than it was before,the fundamental rule of good value for money is that something which is cheaper is not good value if it's not meeting your requirements in the first place. Sky actually makes its own content and spends vast amounts of money developing user interfaces people like to use (or at least they did I have not seen sky q to be honest)

0 Ratings
Reply
MJH1962
Contributor
356 Views
Message 572 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@srpsrpwrote:

What I meant was that sky is cheaper and more flexible than it was before,the fundamental rule of good value for money is that something which is cheaper is not good value if it's not meeting your requirements in the first place. Sky actually makes its own content and spends vast amounts of money developing user interfaces people like to use (or at least they did I have not seen sky q to be honest)


This is a BT forum, if you want to promote Sky's services then I suggest you do so elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Reply
MJH1962
Contributor
353 Views
Message 573 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Stevek1311wrote:

@MJH1962wrote:
Sky cheaper than BT? You are somewhat deluded I think, either that or you are having a laugh.
I subscribe to BT You View as it’s a product I want, mainly for sports, Rugby in particular. Quite frankly, you can keep the over-hyped ridiculously expensive Sky Q. I subscribed to Sky for about 2 years a couple of years ago and found almost all subscription channels to be complete and utter garbage.
The YouView box is a reliable and easy to operate box, something an alien reading the comments on this thread would find it hard to believe given the hysterical OTT complaints coming from the usual suspects.

An alien would laugh at a supposed top line recorder that doesn't do jump to time, has an iffy live pause function, doesn't display where you are in the live pause buffer and insists on shutting down every 12 hours in some fake pretence at gree credentials.

Sky is a different animal, far richer in content and as you say is more expensive.  But it does have all those functions ^ and it does lists too.   What it doesn't do is terrestial transmission which is more reliable and that's why I have both


Apart from less than a dozen posters on here who constantly carp on about the lack of functionality, I would say that the vast majority of users are perfectly happy with the box and the YouView interface.

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
348 Views
Message 574 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@TimCurtiswrote:

First let me state that I don't like NextGen compared to OldGen - I much prefer lists but I accept that lists will never return.Smiley Sad

I would be content if the following changes were made/re-introduced:-

. Jump to time - the feature most requested for reinstatement.

.Alternative recording options as was present in OldGen & is on the apps.

.Ability to cancel a next recording of a series rather than the series - another OldGen feature.

.Remove the latest change to the guide , the mini-info box. Initially it didn't bother me but now I find it rather annoying. If I need info I'll press the info button.

.Immediate collection of a recording request via an app , rather than the approx 15 minute delay.

. Automatically join 2 parts of a film together , like where there's a news break in the middle.

.Padding.

. Let updates be optional rather than me having to block the URLs that provide the update.

 

For me that would probably do it as I don't need the likes of Netflix, Amazon etc as even my 5 year old Panasonic has these apps anyway.

 


Perhaps the FVP5000T from Humax would better suit your purpose.  With that you also have the ability to record up to 4 programmes at a time whilst still watching something you have recorded.  I believe this unit also acts as a 'server and client'. 

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
347 Views
Message 575 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@MJH1962wrote:


Apart from less than a dozen posters on here who constantly carp on about the lack of functionality, I would say that the vast majority of users are perfectly happy with the box and the YouView interface.


Are you able to provide evidence which backs up your assertionth that the vast majority of users are happy with the UI?

0 Ratings
Reply
MJH1962
Contributor
335 Views
Message 576 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Stevek1311wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@MJH1962wrote:
Sky cheaper than BT? You are somewhat deluded I think, either that or you are having a laugh.
I subscribe to BT You View as it’s a product I want, mainly for sports, Rugby in particular. Quite frankly, you can keep the over-hyped ridiculously expensive Sky Q. I subscribed to Sky for about 2 years a couple of years ago and found almost all subscription channels to be complete and utter garbage.
The YouView box is a reliable and easy to operate box, something an alien reading the comments on this thread would find it hard to believe given the hysterical OTT complaints coming from the usual suspects.

An alien would laugh at a supposed top line recorder that doesn't do jump to time, has an iffy live pause function, doesn't display where you are in the live pause buffer and insists on shutting down every 12 hours in some fake pretence at gree credentials.

Sky is a different animal, far richer in content and as you say is more expensive.  But it does have all those functions ^ and it does lists too.   What it doesn't do is terrestial transmission which is more reliable and that's why I have both


I am with you most of the way except with regards to terrestrial reliability.  I too have Freesat, Freeview and Youview.  I've had more problems with terrestrial this summer due to high pressure inversion causing signal issues than I've had in years.  I encountered no such issues with the satellite broadcasts.


It does seem to vary.  We tend lose Sat signal when it rains heavily (did last night) and I know from other forums that we're not alone and yet others (probably more) say it never happens to them.  But our dish iand LNBs are old.  We also have a (non) line of sight to the terrestial aerial that says we should have poor signal and it very rarely is an issue and then only on HD (or when there's transmitter maintenance)

So I like having parallel delivery systems.  Sad though I am I record MOTD and a few others on both.  I won't dump YV/BT for SKy but I might dump them for Humax and a different ISP

You do not require direct line of sight to a transmitter for a good terrestrial signal but certain atmospheric conditions are well known to cause problems at times. However you do need complete line of sight for a satellite signal, for example branches from trees can cause an issue in windy weather when otherwise there is a good signal. Rain in itself should not normally cause a problem if your cabling and connections are sound and  your dish / lnb are aligned accurately. 

 


 

0 Ratings
Reply
Stevek1311
Expert
332 Views
Message 577 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@MJH1962wrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@MJH1962wrote:
Sky cheaper than BT? You are somewhat deluded I think, either that or you are having a laugh.
I subscribe to BT You View as it’s a product I want, mainly for sports, Rugby in particular. Quite frankly, you can keep the over-hyped ridiculously expensive Sky Q. I subscribed to Sky for about 2 years a couple of years ago and found almost all subscription channels to be complete and utter garbage.
The YouView box is a reliable and easy to operate box, something an alien reading the comments on this thread would find it hard to believe given the hysterical OTT complaints coming from the usual suspects.

An alien would laugh at a supposed top line recorder that doesn't do jump to time, has an iffy live pause function, doesn't display where you are in the live pause buffer and insists on shutting down every 12 hours in some fake pretence at gree credentials.

Sky is a different animal, far richer in content and as you say is more expensive.  But it does have all those functions ^ and it does lists too.   What it doesn't do is terrestial transmission which is more reliable and that's why I have both


I am with you most of the way except with regards to terrestrial reliability.  I too have Freesat, Freeview and Youview.  I've had more problems with terrestrial this summer due to high pressure inversion causing signal issues than I've had in years.  I encountered no such issues with the satellite broadcasts.


It does seem to vary.  We tend lose Sat signal when it rains heavily (did last night) and I know from other forums that we're not alone and yet others (probably more) say it never happens to them.  But our dish iand LNBs are old.  We also have a (non) line of sight to the terrestial aerial that says we should have poor signal and it very rarely is an issue and then only on HD (or when there's transmitter maintenance)

So I like having parallel delivery systems.  Sad though I am I record MOTD and a few others on both.  I won't dump YV/BT for SKy but I might dump them for Humax and a different ISP

 

 


 You do not require direct line of sight to a transmitter for a good terrestrial signal but certain atmospheric conditions are well known to cause problems at times. However you do need complete line of sight for a satellite signal, for example branches from trees can cause an issue in windy weather when otherwise there is a good signal. Rain in itself should not normally cause a problem if your cabling and connections are sound and  your dish / lnb are aligned accurately. 


Yep, I'll still go for a dual redundant delivery system though

0 Ratings
Reply
MJH1962
Contributor
328 Views
Message 578 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Jim-ladwrote:

@MJH1962wrote:


Apart from less than a dozen posters on here who constantly carp on about the lack of functionality, I would say that the vast majority of users are perfectly happy with the box and the YouView interface.


Are you able to provide evidence which backs up your assertionth that the vast majority of users are happy with the UI?


Unless there has been a comprehensive survey of customer, then of course I can't but I never said I had. It also applies for the opposing argument as well though. However, the mere fact that there are a small number of people out of the c2m subscribers who make the effort to complain on these forums is a pretty good indication.

 

0 Ratings
Reply
Stevek1311
Expert
326 Views
Message 579 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Jim-ladwrote:

@MJH1962wrote:


Apart from less than a dozen posters on here who constantly carp on about the lack of functionality, I would say that the vast majority of users are perfectly happy with the box and the YouView interface.


Are you able to provide evidence which backs up your assertionth that the vast majority of users are happy with the UI?


There seems to be a high degree of polarisation on this.  Next Gen advocates wills trongly defend it.  I don't mind it as a different system but as many users here and over at the YV forum have pointed out the loss of functionality and introduced bugs were not acceptable.

And the key stat is that net 100,000 households that have dumped YV since Next Gen came in.  

 

As for people mentioning Sky or Humax then to deny such is to deny the obvious comparisons to assess Next Gen YV against.  

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
313 Views
Message 580 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@MJH1962wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@MJH1962wrote:


Apart from less than a dozen posters on here who constantly carp on about the lack of functionality, I would say that the vast majority of users are perfectly happy with the box and the YouView interface.


Are you able to provide evidence which backs up your assertionth that the vast majority of users are happy with the UI?


Unless there has been a comprehensive survey of customer, then of course I can't but I never said I had. It also applies for the opposing argument as well though. However, the mere fact that there are a small number of people out of the c2m subscribers who make the effort to complain on these forums is a pretty good indication.

 


You state you have no evidence to back up your assertion that most people are happy with the Youview UI but then go on to state that because only a small number of people complain about the functionality of this box this somehow backs up your assertion that most are happy.

That logic is badly flawed and doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.  As another poster has commented the Youview community also have a lot to say about the new gen UI, much of it not complimentory. 

0 Ratings
Reply