cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
704 Views
Message 581 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Jim-ladwrote:

@TimCurtiswrote:

First let me state that I don't like NextGen compared to OldGen - I much prefer lists but I accept that lists will never return.Smiley Sad

I would be content if the following changes were made/re-introduced:-

. Jump to time - the feature most requested for reinstatement.

.Alternative recording options as was present in OldGen & is on the apps.

.Ability to cancel a next recording of a series rather than the series - another OldGen feature.

.Remove the latest change to the guide , the mini-info box. Initially it didn't bother me but now I find it rather annoying. If I need info I'll press the info button.

.Immediate collection of a recording request via an app , rather than the approx 15 minute delay.

. Automatically join 2 parts of a film together , like where there's a news break in the middle.

.Padding.

. Let updates be optional rather than me having to block the URLs that provide the update.

 

For me that would probably do it as I don't need the likes of Netflix, Amazon etc as even my 5 year old Panasonic has these apps anyway.

 


Perhaps the FVP5000T from Humax would better suit your purpose.  With that you also have the ability to record up to 4 programmes at a time whilst still watching something you have recorded.  I believe this unit also acts as a 'server and client'. 


@Jim-lad

As things are I can cope with it but there are changes I'd like to see.

I'm sticking with it for now  though.

0 Ratings
Reply
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
669 Views
Message 582 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Jim-ladwrote:

@MJH1962wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@MJH1962wrote:


Apart from less than a dozen posters on here who constantly carp on about the lack of functionality, I would say that the vast majority of users are perfectly happy with the box and the YouView interface.


Are you able to provide evidence which backs up your assertionth that the vast majority of users are happy with the UI?


Unless there has been a comprehensive survey of customer, then of course I can't but I never said I had. It also applies for the opposing argument as well though. However, the mere fact that there are a small number of people out of the c2m subscribers who make the effort to complain on these forums is a pretty good indication.

 


You state you have no evidence to back up your assertion that most people are happy with the Youview UI but then go on to state that because only a small number of people complain about the functionality of this box this somehow backs up your assertion that most are happy.

That logic is badly flawed and doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.  As another poster has commented the Youview community also have a lot to say about the new gen UI, much of it not complimentory. 


LOL, its not flawed at all. Add up the number of posters on this and the YouView Community Board and think again. The number of complainers is minscule relative to the number of total subscribers. The loss of BT YV subscribers is down to many things, the poster who states100k customer have dumped the service due to the nex Gen is just guessing and using it to try and justify his position.

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
632 Views
Message 583 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@MJH62wrote:

 


LOL, its not flawed at all. Add up the number of posters on this and the YouView Community Board and think again. The number of complainers is minscule relative to the number of total subscribers. The loss of BT YV subscribers is down to many things, the poster who states100k customer have dumped the service due to the nex Gen is just guessing and using it to try and justify his position.

 


So what you are saying is that the poster who mentions the loss of customers is just guessing with his assumption, but you are expecting us to believe that what you say is somehow 'fact'.

Rule of hole states when you're in one stop digging, whereas you're now using a mechanical shovel.

Highlighted
srpsrp
Expert
586 Views
Message 584 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

I am not saying that the current incarnation is not 'acceptable' merely that to me 'acceptable' is no longer good enough when considering to sign up for an 18 month TV contact for channels I mostly wont watch.

If money were no object I can not think why I'd choose BT TV at the moment and since I am  trying to save money the the same applies surely. They should have stuck to the old system and also kept their prices competative IMHO

TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
528 Views
Message 585 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

Just noticed something last night that I've never seen before, it might have been there but as I say I've never seen it before.

Pressing the right arrow when in playback mode has , since day 1, given you the current position in the playback.

It still does for a single recording BUT when it's one of a series then the position is there for an instance before it's covered by a bar showing next episodes. On a T4000 you don't even see it for an instance as the box is so much faster. You eventually see the playback position just before the whole section is cleared.

I don't know if it was introduced in 31.69 for the T2100 & 31.108 for the T4000 but I don't think much of it personally.

OK pressing the left arrow does display the playback position.

It seems to be that we're being given things that are not very useful rather than the really useful features that are continually requested for re-introduction like "jump to time" and alternative recording options from the guide.

Being on here or the Youview forum we do get to know some of the things going on but for the vast majority of Youview users any changes come as a complete surprise. Just imagine the reaction when NextGen was forced on people, it would have been "What the xxxx is this!!!!"

I'm beginning to dispair.

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
515 Views
Message 586 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@TimCurtiswrote:

Just noticed something last night that I've never seen before, it might have been there but as I say I've never seen it before.

Pressing the right arrow when in playback mode has , since day 1, given you the current position in the playback.

It still does for a single recording BUT when it's one of a series then the position is there for an instance before it's covered by a bar showing next episodes. On a T4000 you don't even see it for an instance as the box is so much faster. You eventually see the playback position just before the whole section is cleared.

I don't know if it was introduced in 31.69 for the T2100 & 31.108 for the T4000 but I don't think much of it personally.

OK pressing the left arrow does display the playback position.

It seems to be that we're being given things that are not very useful rather than the really useful features that are continually requested for re-introduction like "jump to time" and alternative recording options from the guide.

Being on here or the Youview forum we do get to know some of the things going on but for the vast majority of Youview users any changes come as a complete surprise. Just imagine the reaction when NextGen was forced on people, it would have been "What the xxxx is this!!!!"

I'm beginning to dispair.


My own opinion of the Youview box is this - the concept right from the start has been to provide an 'idiot proof' PVR for the mass market.  The photographic equivalent would be the 'point and shoot' camera.  The more features they introduce the more support companies like BT have to provide and that costs them money.

 In some ways it's a good PVR.  I think the 'go back' EPG is the best implementation of this concept I have seen, better than Freeview Play and better than 'freetime' from Freesat.  However, for those looking for a more feature rich product e.g. DLNA then with something like Youview you are always likely to be disappointed. 

0 Ratings
Reply
Stevek1311
Expert
504 Views
Message 587 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

My theory is YV like introducing features that excite themselves or the very unrepresentative beta test community say they want to try out and not what the real user community wants.

BT will have the email contact details of everyone they have supplied a YV box to.  Have any of us received any form of user survey about how we find it or what we would like?  I haven't.  But ask a beta test community what they want and they'll think of all sorts of changes they can be 'in on' debugging.  Nowt wrong with that, beta testers are essential and do very valuable work for scant reward but they have a different agenda compared to the main user base.

And I say again, if Next Gen was supposed to be a good thing for user numbers then a reduction of 100,000 since rather shows it isn't working

 

0 Ratings
Reply
gomezz
Recognised Expert
488 Views
Message 588 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

As a pre-launch beta-tester I have to disagree. We were mostly asking for the same things to be fixed as the user community at large is still asking for. If there has been a left-field feature request then I, for one, have always put it firmly at the bottom of my wish list.
0 Ratings
Reply
Stevek1311
Expert
471 Views
Message 589 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@gomezzwrote:
As a pre-launch beta-tester I have to disagree. We were mostly asking for the same things to be fixed as the user community at large is still asking for. If there has been a left-field feature request then I, for one, have always put it firmly at the bottom of my wish list.

Thanks for that clarification

Over at the YV forum there was certainly a degree of 'ignore the problems, enjoy the ride, it's an adventure' commenting from several known beta testers.  

0 Ratings
Reply
Stevek1311
Expert
444 Views
Message 590 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@TimCurtiswrote:

Just noticed something last night that I've never seen before, it might have been there but as I say I've never seen it before.

Pressing the right arrow when in playback mode has , since day 1, given you the current position in the playback.

It still does for a single recording BUT when it's one of a series then the position is there for an instance before it's covered by a bar showing next episodes. On a T4000 you don't even see it for an instance as the box is so much faster. You eventually see the playback position just before the whole section is cleared.

I don't know if it was introduced in 31.69 for the T2100 & 31.108 for the T4000 but I don't think much of it personally.

OK pressing the left arrow does display the playback position.

It seems to be that we're being given things that are not very useful rather than the really useful features that are continually requested for re-introduction like "jump to time" and alternative recording options from the guide.

Being on here or the Youview forum we do get to know some of the things going on but for the vast majority of Youview users any changes come as a complete surprise. Just imagine the reaction when NextGen was forced on people, it would have been "What the xxxx is this!!!!"

I'm beginning to dispair.


Actually having tried out this feature it's useful especially now you've told us the left arrow trick.  

0 Ratings
Reply