cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jim-lad
Expert
715 Views
Message 611 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@faa77wrote:

Forgot one:

I cannot remember if it's live TV or a recording, but for one of them I can only skip forward 1 minute or backward 15 seconds. Can you please get rid of this, get rid of skipping and just make it fast forward like Sky: x2, x6, x12 or x30 in either direction.


Heresy!  skipping is one of the most useful features ever invented by man.  The only way this should be altered is by providing more options instead of just one minute.  For example on my Humax HDR 1000s I have the option for 120 seconds or 240 seconds.  240 seconds just happens to be the average length of the main channels ad breaks.  Therefore if I press skip as the programme goes to an add break the interruption to a programme is almost imperceptable. 

MJH62
Aspiring Expert
642 Views
Message 612 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Jim-ladwrote:

@MJH62wrote:

 


LOL, its not flawed at all. Add up the number of posters on this and the YouView Community Board and think again. The number of complainers is minscule relative to the number of total subscribers. The loss of BT YV subscribers is down to many things, the poster who states100k customer have dumped the service due to the nex Gen is just guessing and using it to try and justify his position.

 


So what you are saying is that the poster who mentions the loss of customers is just guessing with his assumption, but you are expecting us to believe that what you say is somehow 'fact'.

Rule of hole states when you're in one stop digging, whereas you're now using a mechanical shovel.

I’ll simply skip over your insult over the shovel and I’ll  just make the point (again) that I have never claimed to be quoting facts. What I do have an understanding of, however, is the TV subscription market and of consumer behaviour from a marketing perspective. BT subscriber numbers are a driven by a number of factors, with price increases and targeted marketing and offers from Sky likely to be material drivers for the recent loss. To put it down largely to the software changes, as was suggested, is laughable quite frankly given that the level of complaints, including the number of those complaining on forums, simply does not support it.

 I was just reading the YouView community forum and see the numbers of people posting about these issues is minuscule also, with a number of common moaners from both boards. Also, if you analyse what the usual suspects are complaining about with the latest software, it is invariably matters of personal preference as to what they would like to see and not matters that actually affect the ability to use the YouView box as a pvr and for watching subscription channels. As someone on the YouView forum stated, there are posters who simply look for issues to moan about. Of course these boards exist for such such triviality to be commented on, similarly for others to try to place some objectivity.

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
616 Views
Message 613 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

How do you supposedly know the number of complaints is supposedly miniscule?  You'd have to be an insider at BT and YV's complaints departments to know that.

As for the YV forum lets just say it's managed .  

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
548 Views
Message 614 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

This is interesting - https://www.youview.com/2018/02/14/youview-reaches-three-million-milestone/

The threshold was broken last week just seven months after the successful roll-out of YouView’s software upgrade across its entire set top box device base, earning the company Advanced TV Innovation of the Year at the 2017 Content Innovation Awards and Best Platform at the annual T3 Awards.

Looks like the industry is more impressed with the new UI than it's users - possibly.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
544 Views
Message 615 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Jim-ladwrote:

This is interesting - https://www.youview.com/2018/02/14/youview-reaches-three-million-milestone/

The threshold was broken last week just seven months after the successful roll-out of YouView’s software upgrade across its entire set top box device base, earning the company Advanced TV Innovation of the Year at the 2017 Content Innovation Awards and Best Platform at the annual T3 Awards.

Looks like the industry is more impressed with the new UI than it's users - possibly.


What that link tells you is no one has ever seen Richard Halton and Pinocchio in the same room

https://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-reports/tracker-uk-households-by-tv-platform/

says his 3 million figure was at best wishful thinking.   And no one doubts that the Next Gen change was innovative and ground breaking - just not in a  good way.  We have to assume those that give those awards go mainly by the features YV tell them are in it giving no regard to fundamentals like reliability and basic PVR functionality.  

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
535 Views
Message 616 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Stevek1311wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

This is interesting - https://www.youview.com/2018/02/14/youview-reaches-three-million-milestone/

The threshold was broken last week just seven months after the successful roll-out of YouView’s software upgrade across its entire set top box device base, earning the company Advanced TV Innovation of the Year at the 2017 Content Innovation Awards and Best Platform at the annual T3 Awards.

Looks like the industry is more impressed with the new UI than it's users - possibly.


What that link tells you is no one has ever seen Richard Halton and Pinocchio in the same room

https://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-reports/tracker-uk-households-by-tv-platform/

says his 3 million figure was at best wishful thinking.   And no one doubts that the Next Gen change was innovative and ground breaking - just not in a  good way.  We have to assume those that give those awards go mainly by the features YV tell them are in it giving no regard to fundamentals like reliability and basic PVR functionality.  


Well you know what they say - never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Smiley Sad

srpsrp
Expert
477 Views
Message 617 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

perhaps I'm missing something, ifyou are watching a programme and decide to stop halfway through how in actual fact are you meant to find it again in your list of recordings? traditionally with a PVR you would go alphabetically by program title or  be able to filter by programs which you had started to watch.

 

Not only does this new interface not support either, it also makes it more difficult to trawl through looking because as you add and delete recordings thettiles all shift positions. The images on the tiles do not always make sense and indeed you can't even see them if the program you want is inside a series link and has a different image. How difficult could it be to provide a list and show the image in a separate section at the bottom for the selected item?  this interface still annoys me and I'm not even paying BT any money for it anymore lol

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
446 Views
Message 618 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@srpsrpwrote:

perhaps I'm missing something, ifyou are watching a programme and decide to stop halfway through how in actual fact are you meant to find it again in your list of recordings?


It is your fault for deciding not to watch a programme all the way through in one sitting.  At least that is the attitude of those who think the Youview UI is wonderful and perfect.

Stevek1311
Expert
277 Views
Message 619 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

Now over 10 weeks since the last update to BT Youview boxes :-(  

Humax got a minor update in January but we've had nothing and we'll soon be at the 2nd anniversary of the jump to time function being removed from our boxes.  Oh and live pause buffer still doesn't work properly if there's a recording in process

 

 

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
245 Views
Message 620 of 647

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

When it deletes old programs sometimes they can be up towards the top of the list if it has put them in a series link another reason to have a proper list I reckon
0 Ratings