Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 271 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@Stevek1311 wrote:

@gomezz wrote:
Back to the Live Pause feature: Only something I use very infrequently. I work on the principle that if something is worth watching it is worth recording and if watching live and get an unexpected call away from the TV will prefer to start recording the programme as experience down the years on several different recorders proves that to be more reliable than relying in the time-shift buffer which can get lost if the wind changes direction. In fact I wish I could turn off time-shifting completely so that if watching live the hard disk is not spinning unnecessarily.

I've never had an issue with YouView disk noise, maybe I should say 'not yet'

A question:  if I record a programme that has already started YouView does not record anything that preceded the record demand even if it was in the live pause buffer.  How are you able to record the full programme?

Not a noise problem but an unnecessary wear preventitive.

I record a full programme by pro-actively looking ahead of time to see which programmes I want to watch and therefore record.  You can't beat a good listings magazine and a highlighter pen.
0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 272 of 654

Well that just shows that different people watch TV in different ways.  We like to have the TV on as moving wallpaper while reading and if something happens to catch our attention then wind back

As for wear has anyone heard of a YouView or any PVR disc wearing out?  I have a 17 year old TiVo that's been on 24/7 since purchase and still the disc works (tempts fate).  In my experience what kills PVRs is the Power Supplies die.  Had to replace the TiVo one once, a Sky HD box with a dead PSU and don't get me on Toshiba PVR+DVD-R power supplies.  Seen three of those die with PSU failure, two of them mine.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 273 of 654

@Stevek1311 wrote:

@gomezz wrote:
Back to the Live Pause feature: Only something I use very infrequently. I work on the principle that if something is worth watching it is worth recording and if watching live and get an unexpected call away from the TV will prefer to start recording the programme as experience down the years on several different recorders proves that to be more reliable than relying in the time-shift buffer which can get lost if the wind changes direction. In fact I wish I could turn off time-shifting completely so that if watching live the hard disk is not spinning unnecessarily.

A question:  if I record a programme that has already started YouView does not record anything that preceded the record demand even if it was in the live pause buffer.  How are you able to record the full programme?

I don't think you can.  I have to say I think it's one big failing of Youview.  With the Freesat box you simply rewind back to the start of the programme then hit the record button.  This then records the buffer, something that Youview cannot do.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 274 of 654

@Jim-lad wrote:

@Stevek1311 wrote:

@gomezz wrote:

I don't think you can.  I have to say I think it's one big failing of Youview.  With the Freesat box you simply rewind back to the start of the programme then hit the record button.  This then records the buffer, something that Youview cannot do.

Agreed but YouView isn't the only one that can't.  Sky can and series 1 TiVos could (and for all I know current TiVos can)  TiVo were very into protecting their IPR with patents and then litigating on infringements so it's possible they have the rights to it and won't do a licensing deal with YouView.

0 Ratings
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 275 of 654

@gomezz wrote:

The HDD will always be spinning when the box is active, it's part of the system. HDDs are designed to run for long hours, it's not doing any harm.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 276 of 654

Having been forced into using NextGen (for nearly 2 weeks now) by a box failure but still running a BT Ultra HD box on OldGen I feel in a position to make a reasoned (in my view) comparison.

Good - ie improved.

Communication between app & box. This works well but shame still the long delay in scheduling a recording. My 5yr old Panasonic does it virtually instantly.

Episodes in a series now earliest first - one of my few complaints about OldGen.

Pressing the blue remote button can give you quick access to recent recordings which is useful at times.

OKish

The tiles for recordings is OK but tiles for scheduled items is far harder to read than the previous list, where you want to read down in chronilogical sequence.

Tiles for settings works just fine

Bad

Obviously the STILL missing (exceedingly useful & no signs of re-appearing) functionality like:-
 Jump to time - how difficult is that to code!
 Alternative recording options , still on the app thankfully so I use that far more than before.

Fast forward recording etc. Why the need to take over nearly 1/2 the screen (including the shading at the top of the screen) & leave it onscreen for 6+ seconds when play pressed.  OldGen is maybe a 1/6th of part of the screen & stays onscreen for about 3 seconds after Play pressed. Yes I know pressing "back" clears the screen!

When a recording is started that takes over far more at the top of the screen than OldGen.

Deleting a scheduled series recording deletes all , whereas in OldGen you were prompted for this episode only or whole series.

More key action to get to MyTV than before. Missed opportunity here to remove Guide from that bar as there is the Guide button on the remote anyway.

On startup no need to show anything other than what program the box is tuned to.

Lack of optional list format that was liked by many.

My Conclusions

Minor improvements to the operation of the box and whilst the interface might be described as "prettier" or "sexier" functionally it's far less usable than before.

A lift & shift approach as has previously mentioned would have been a far better approach than a complete redesign without the good parts.

I liked the simplicity of OldGen which worked in it's favour & I will continue to use OldGen for as long as possible & would be still on both my boxes had it not been for the failure of one.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 277 of 654

A very reasoned and well presented personal opinion @TimCurtis

I think most would agree with the items you list as 'bad' but it's also always refreshing to see someone giving a fair and balanced overall opinion of their user experience, not just jumping on the bad but also pointing out the good.

Good post.

0 Ratings
chadders1
Contributor
Message 278 of 654

Until you view add the feature where you can extend the length of program recordings I will not get BT tv again. Had it once before and got rid of it after a week as I kept missing the start/end of programs.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 279 of 654

Unfortunately I doubt that manually adjusting the times will ever be added seeing as it's a very long outstanding request.

Others can do it but Youview seem content to rely on Accurate Recording , the signal from the broadcaster to start & stop a recording.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 280 of 654

@TimCurtis wrote:

Unfortunately I doubt that manually adjusting the times will ever be added seeing as it's a very long outstanding request.

Others can do it but Youview seem content to rely on Accurate Recording , the signal from the broadcaster to start & stop a recording.

And for the most part it works very well.  Padding would be the very last thing on my wish list, if it was on there at all.  The only time AR comes unstuck is on the more minor channels who either don't use it or have it badly implemented.

Padding often creates more problems than it solves. 

0 Ratings