Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 561 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@ThoughtfulUsernamewrote:
At the end of November 2018 you introduced a feature on the EPG - a highlighted programme block expands to show the programme time and a partial synopsis.
I find it very annoying. It seems pointless. There’s not enough room to see an entire synopsis so you still have to open the more info panel to finish reading a sentence. If you don’t care about the synopsis, you have to put up with every highlighted programme expanding and covering up other programme titles and their start points.
On short programmes, say 30 minutes, the highlight box extends beyond the end time of the programme. This can be confusing as the current time blue line can appear to show that the highlighted programme is still live, when it is actually the next programme, which is covered up, that is now playing.
Visually this expanding highlight just jumps around whenever you skip through pages and is distracting. Please can you remove it or at the very least make it something you can switch off in settings. Did you test this feature with real users? Where they different user types? Did you find out how people use the EPG to navigate? This feature is a real hindrance to users like me who use the EPG to scan what is on now across multiple pages of channels.

Oh how I agree 100% with the above post.  I don't know if anyone asked for this feature?  If they did then one has to assume they had been out for a liquid lunch followed by a boring afternoon whence they thought up this 'mischief'.

It's about as much use as an ash tray on a motorcycle i.e. utterly pointless.  Here's something for you to think about and is 'really out there'.  Try asking your customers what they might like and more importantly what is useful.  As said above, please give your users the option to 'switch this feature OFF'. 

Stevek1311
Expert
Message 562 of 654

@Jim-ladwrote:

At the end of November 2018 you introduced a feature on the EPG - a highlighted programme block expands to show the programme time and a partial synopsis.
I find it very annoying. It seems pointless. There’s not enough room to see an entire synopsis so you still have to open the more info panel to finish reading a sentence. If you don’t care about the synopsis, you have to put up with every highlighted programme expanding and covering up other programme titles and their start points.
On short programmes, say 30 minutes, the highlight box extends beyond the end time of the programme. This can be confusing as the current time blue line can appear to show that the highlighted programme is still live, when it is actually the next programme, which is covered up, that is now playing.
Visually this expanding highlight just jumps around whenever you skip through pages and is distracting. Please can you remove it or at the very least make it something you can switch off in settings. Did you test this feature with real users? Where they different user types? Did you find out how people use the EPG to navigate? This feature is a real hindrance to users like me who use the EPG to scan what is on now across multiple pages of channels.

Oh how I agree 100% with the above post.  I don't know if anyone asked for this feature?  If they did then one has to assume they had been out for a liquid lunch followed by a boring afternoon whence they thought up this 'mischief'.

It's about as much use as an ash tray on a motorcycle i.e. utterly pointless.  Here's something for you to think about and is 'really out there'.  Try asking your customers what they might like and more importantly what is useful.  As said above, please give your users the option to 'switch this feature OFF'. 

YouViews stance for 2 years now has seemingly been all about putting in flash looking features that appeal to media reviewers who give the box a day's trial and write up their copy or look good on demo videos.  The actual user base view doesn't seem to matter anymore, very depressing.  

But awkward facts are awkward facts, the YouView user base that NextGen was supposed to increase has actually reduced by 4% since (was 2.31 million households, now 2.21 million) and churn must be a factor in this

https://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-reports/tracker-uk-households-by-tv-platform/ 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 563 of 654

Well my contract with BT is no more and I just use the box as a bog standard PVR now.  I wasn't purchasing any media from BT so why pay for 'Freeview' as the clue is in the title. 

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 564 of 654

I can't say I like or dislike the new pop-up synopsis personally it would have been more useful to have a fixed area on screen showing all the information rather than create another level. I only use my box as a freeFree PVR now so can't say I'm really that bothered. One of the advantages of the streaming services is you can stop the service immediately with no hassles if you wish. This saves getting frustrated about things such as this and also can save a lot of money with not paying for channels you are not watching.

I would consider coming back to BT when they get a new box with properly designed system perhaps some sort of off-the-shelf system which they don't have a hand in designing Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 565 of 654

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

YouViews stance for 2 years now has seemingly been all about putting in flash looking features that appeal to media reviewers who give the box a day's trial and write up their copy or look good on demo videos.  The actual user base view doesn't seem to matter anymore, very depressing.  

But awkward facts are awkward facts, the YouView user base that NextGen was supposed to increase has actually reduced by 4% since (was 2.31 million households, now 2.21 million) and churn must be a factor in this

https://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-reports/tracker-uk-households-by-tv-platform/ 

alas it is indeed just a fact of life they are selling their product to people who either have a phone line and add TV want the sports or simply can't be bothered to switch. I switched because it was cheaper than sky however sky is now a lot cheaper I think and probably the hardware is a bit better although a lot of people downsizing will probably now be 'cord cutters' hence strategy to milk existing subscribers I guess whilst not spending any money on development

0 Ratings
MJH1962
Contributor
Message 566 of 654

Sky cheaper than BT? You are somewhat deluded I think, either that or you are having a laugh.
I subscribe to BT You View as it’s a product I want, mainly for sports, Rugby in particular. Quite frankly, you can keep the over-hyped ridiculously expensive Sky Q. I subscribed to Sky for about 2 years a couple of years ago and found almost all subscription channels to be complete and utter garbage.
The YouView box is a reliable and easy to operate box, something an alien reading the comments on this thread would find it hard to believe given the hysterical OTT complaints coming from the usual suspects.
0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 567 of 654

@MJH1962wrote:
Sky cheaper than BT? You are somewhat deluded I think, either that or you are having a laugh.
I subscribe to BT You View as it’s a product I want, mainly for sports, Rugby in particular. Quite frankly, you can keep the over-hyped ridiculously expensive Sky Q. I subscribed to Sky for about 2 years a couple of years ago and found almost all subscription channels to be complete and utter garbage.
The YouView box is a reliable and easy to operate box, something an alien reading the comments on this thread would find it hard to believe given the hysterical OTT complaints coming from the usual suspects.

An alien would laugh at a supposed top line recorder that doesn't do jump to time, has an iffy live pause function, doesn't display where you are in the live pause buffer and insists on shutting down every 12 hours in some fake pretence at gree credentials.

Sky is a different animal, far richer in content and as you say is more expensive.  But it does have all those functions ^ and it does lists too.   What it doesn't do is terrestial transmission which is more reliable and that's why I have both

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 568 of 654

@Stevek1311wrote:

@MJH1962wrote:

An alien would laugh at a supposed top line recorder that doesn't do jump to time, has an iffy live pause function, doesn't display where you are in the live pause buffer and insists on shutting down every 12 hours in some fake pretence at gree credentials.

Sky is a different animal, far richer in content and as you say is more expensive.  But it does have all those functions ^ and it does lists too.   What it doesn't do is terrestial transmission which is more reliable and that's why I have both

I am with you most of the way except with regards to terrestrial reliability.  I too have Freesat, Freeview and Youview.  I've had more problems with terrestrial this summer due to high pressure inversion causing signal issues than I've had in years.  I encountered no such issues with the satellite broadcasts.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 569 of 654

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@MJH1962wrote:

I am with you most of the way except with regards to terrestrial reliability.  I too have Freesat, Freeview and Youview.  I've had more problems with terrestrial this summer due to high pressure inversion causing signal issues than I've had in years.  I encountered no such issues with the satellite broadcasts.

It does seem to vary.  We tend lose Sat signal when it rains heavily (did last night) and I know from other forums that we're not alone and yet others (probably more) say it never happens to them.  But our dish iand LNBs are old.  We also have a (non) line of sight to the terrestial aerial that says we should have poor signal and it very rarely is an issue and then only on HD (or when there's transmitter maintenance)

So I like having parallel delivery systems.  Sad though I am I record MOTD and a few others on both.  I won't dump YV/BT for SKy but I might dump them for Humax and a different ISP

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 570 of 654

First let me state that I don't like NextGen compared to OldGen - I much prefer lists but I accept that lists will never return.Smiley Sad

I would be content if the following changes were made/re-introduced:-

. Jump to time - the feature most requested for reinstatement.

.Alternative recording options as was present in OldGen & is on the apps.

.Ability to cancel a next recording of a series rather than the series - another OldGen feature.

.Remove the latest change to the guide , the mini-info box. Initially it didn't bother me but now I find it rather annoying. If I need info I'll press the info button.

.Immediate collection of a recording request via an app , rather than the approx 15 minute delay.

. Automatically join 2 parts of a film together , like where there's a news break in the middle.

.Padding.

. Let updates be optional rather than me having to block the URLs that provide the update.

For me that would probably do it as I don't need the likes of Netflix, Amazon etc as even my 5 year old Panasonic has these apps anyway.

0 Ratings