Well seems users are voting with their HDMI leads to say otherwise

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 642 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@Stevek1311wrote:

@scointerwrote:
 . . .Shortly with Netflix, Amazon and full compliment of Sky channels. Along with their own exclusive sport and also amc/extra channels they will have a pretty good compliment.
They just need to fix a few bugs/features and with complete Wi-fi allowing an easy Wi-fi ability it looks pretty good to me.

As you say they just need to fix a few bugs - unfortunately it's been 2 years now since they removed jump to time, 18 months since they introduced the live pause buffer bug and over 100 days since we got a minor update.   It's not encouraging.

Not forgetting the non-usability of FF/REW on internet channel recordings as that leads to loss of audio needing a reboot and the dicy usability of the alternative Skip feature which can jump to a random point in an active recording.  :smileyfrustrated:

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 643 of 654

Never had an issue with loss of audio during ff/rew on my T4000 box and love the skip method over the rew/ff for adverts, but defiantly get annoyed at the random jump back during chase playback and the missing jump to time is disappointing.
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 644 of 654

@scointerwrote:
I agree a couple of things would be nice to fix/get back but in the scheme of all users you will find that is a small minority that actually care/know about these.

Yup, I count myself as part of the "majority of casual users". I use the box to timeshift only. I have no need for the features that are missing, and indeed didn't know they were there in the first place, and would never had known if I wasn't part of this forum.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 645 of 654

@scointerwrote:
Never had an issue with loss of audio during ff/rew on my T4000 box.

If that is not happening on the T4000 model but is on the T2100 model than that should be a big clue by four to the developers as to what is causing the problem.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 646 of 654

they probably don't want the  box to be too polished their target market is still as an alternative to more expensive providers albeit not as good value that it was. they probably don't want to encourage people to sign up for minimum term just to get a free box

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 647 of 654

@srpsrpwrote:

they probably don't want the  box to be too polished their target market is still as an alternative to more expensive providers albeit not as good value that it was. they probably don't want to encourage people to sign up for minimum term just to get a free box

Very believable

But such a strategy leaves the problem of churn as customers will inevitably associate a less polished box with the whole BT brand.  And then there's there is the business need to gain new customers through existing customer recommendations.  I used to recomemnd BT because of the box and the in house broadband infrastructure.  Both now gone.  I won't be alone.

We've maybe gone beyond the tipping point now,  YouView only survive day to day because BT (and Talk Talk) keep throwing £millions at them in supposed loans that they must know won't ever be repaid so it counts as expense.   How long before the new head of BT asks "just why are we spending our bottom line on this?"

But an announcement by YouView of a promised schedule to restore the lost functionality could change that as it would lead to positive feedback here (and over at their own highly managed forum)

The ball isn't out of play yet but is very much not in the users court

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 648 of 654

Another 3 months and more feedback that really can't be much clearer https://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-reports/tracker-uk-households-by-tv-platform/ 70,000 net less YouView users down from 2.19 to 2.12 million and the fastest rate of decline ever. Which means even if no one started a YouView during that time that's still 3.5% of users that dumped the box in 3 months. Now maybe if someone at BT would start taking the feedback in this thread and pointedly put it in front of YouView Ltd that is funded by BT they could reverse this decline Can I suggest they start with 'jump to time' But just ignoring it clearly isn't working is it?
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 649 of 654

I wouldn't read much into those Barb figures, the 170k drop in terrestrial access rings alarm bells, especially when the push is on to build homes faster than you can wave a stick. I don't believe for a minute that in the last quarter 170000 homes have had their aerials removed, which is what I understand them to be saying goingby their explanation.

No-one, well maybe two or three, are going to leave or join Youview just because jump to time is or isn't available. If all customers of the leading provider were asked what jump to time was, those that knew would be very small, and those that actually used it would be miniscule.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 650 of 654

It's the most requested of the features that got lost in the Next Gen debacle.  And while people might not consciously think about it such becomes another step in the 'I really don't like this box' mindset.

I can't promise YouView an easy ride to the 3 million mark they once talked of, they may never get there but they are the viewing platform with the fastest % decline and they need to do something

- restore jump to time

- stop nannying us with compulsory stand by losing the live pause buffer

- fix the live pause while recording issues

And then they might just have a box I'd prefer to use and I can't be alone

0 Ratings