cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gomezz
Recognised Expert
479 Views
Message 301 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

Best implementation of padding I have used was on my old Topfield PVR as a third-party user add on which did not have the inherent problems I suspect are being talked of which in any case apply equally to AR recordings as they do to padded recordings.

Still the gold standard for a PVR UI.

 

But rather than padding I would be happy just for fixed time recordings to be allowed which are much more suitable for long-running live sport events such as a day of World and British superbikes on Eurosport.  Just record the whole day as one.

0 Ratings
Reply
chadders1
Contributor
430 Views
Message 302 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

Do you really consider padding or the lack thereof to be a driver for anyone considering switching from Virgin or Sky?
Yes. Why would you even think of switching when about 90% of recorded programs miss either the start or end of a program. You view is utterly useless in its current form.
0 Ratings
Reply
Dean007
Recognised Expert
425 Views
Message 303 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

As I type my crappy sky q box is packed and ready to go back. It’s my third faulty one. I’ve been using the G5 box for over 15 months and only had two issues with recordings both on ITV2 in the last two weeks.

To say it’s utterly useless is a bit harsh.
0 Ratings
Reply
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
419 Views
Message 304 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@chadders1 wrote:
Do you really consider padding or the lack thereof to be a driver for anyone considering switching from Virgin or Sky?
Yes. Why would you even think of switching when about 90% of recorded programs miss either the start or end of a program. You view is utterly useless in its current form.

Did you know 64.2% of stats are made up on the spot?

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
408 Views
Message 305 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@chadders1 wrote:
Do you really consider padding or the lack thereof to be a driver for anyone considering switching from Virgin or Sky?
Yes. Why would you even think of switching when about 90% of recorded programs miss either the start or end of a program. You view is utterly useless in its current form.

Our Youview box records 99.9% of programmes accuratley i.e. we have both the start and end of programmes.  The 0.1% is the rare times I record one of the 'minor' channels where we may miss the first few seconds or the closing credits.

 

Therefore Youview is a more than capable alternative platform to the very expensive Sky or Virgin options.  If you don't have Youview and you're not thinking of switching why are you posting on this forum.

0 Ratings
Reply
Andy005
Expert
352 Views
Message 306 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

In the 3 months that I've had Youview I've missed the end of several recordings, but that's really because some broadcasters such as Universal can't manage their schedules properly. There should be an option to add a minute or two to each recording, but that can create problems with back to back recordings.

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
321 Views
Message 307 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Andy005 wrote:

In the 3 months that I've had Youview I've missed the end of several recordings, but that's really because some broadcasters such as Universal can't manage their schedules properly. There should be an option to add a minute or two to each recording, but that can create problems with back to back recordings.


I think rather than the consumer getting these broadcasters out of a hole by using padding, OFCOM should make it part of broadcasters licence agreements that they must use and manage 'accurate recording' and if they don't they should be fined.

 

You can bet if this was implemented no one would be missing any part of their recordings.

0 Ratings
Reply
Andy005
Expert
239 Views
Message 308 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


@Jim-lad wrote:

@Andy005 wrote:

In the 3 months that I've had Youview I've missed the end of several recordings, but that's really because some broadcasters such as Universal can't manage their schedules properly. There should be an option to add a minute or two to each recording, but that can create problems with back to back recordings.


I think rather than the consumer getting these broadcasters out of a hole by using padding, OFCOM should make it part of broadcasters licence agreements that they must use and manage 'accurate recording' and if they don't they should be fined.

 

You can bet if this was implemented no one would be missing any part of their recordings.


There just needs to be an agreed standard for tagging between the broadcasters and manufacturers, then short recordings and erratic linking should be a thing of the past.

There is something odd about the Youview box though when it comes down to series linking, it's not just the braodcasters failing to do it properly.

0 Ratings
Reply
gomezz
Recognised Expert
202 Views
Message 309 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion


Jim-lad wrote

I think rather than the consumer getting these broadcasters out of a hole by using padding, OFCOM should make it part of broadcasters licence agreements that they must use and manage 'accurate recording' and if they don't they should be fined.


I disagree.  Allowing the consumer more control over their recordings regardless of broadcaster and recorder manufacturer failings is the preferred option.

0 Ratings
Reply
jam2000
Recognised Expert
195 Views
Message 310 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

Do any free view boxes offer adding additional time to start and end?
0 Ratings
Reply