Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 551 of 560

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@hyper01wrote:
Unfortunately never going to happen.

BT have zero regard for the customers, I raised this many times and the response is 'if you don't like it go elsewhere'.

The clue is in the brand name i.e. 'Youview'.  It's not BT's decision to make.  Youview is a joint venture between BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva.

I assume you have approached all the other companies involved to air your grievance?

Stevek1311
Expert
Message 552 of 560

@Jim-ladwrote:

@hyper01wrote:

BT have zero regard for the customers, I raised this many times and the response is 'if you don't like it go elsewhere'.

The clue is in the brand name i.e. 'Youview'.  It's not BT's decision to make.  Youview is a joint venture between BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva.

I assume you have approached all the other companies involved to air your grievance?

You're saying that in effect BT are in a force majeure position with but a minority share.  But BT have much more leverage than that as YouView's published accounts show BT with TalkTalk are the ones funding the whole show

YV Accounts to March 2017 see note 13

(A new set of year accounts should be out within 5 weeks)

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 553 of 560

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@hyper01wrote:

You're saying that in effect BT are in a force majeure position with but a minority share.  But BT have much more leverage than that as YouView's published accounts show BT with TalkTalk are the ones funding the whole show

YV Accounts to March 2017 see note 13

(A new set of year accounts should be out within 5 weeks)

I'm afraid the link you have provided is broken.

Funded for how much longer one might ask.  If you look at the business model it is quite clear that success or failure of Youview is based on Sport content.  Given the outgoing CEO has been heavily criticised by the markets for spending too much on sports rights, what do you think the chances are the new CEO Philip Jansen will change focus?

My subscription has now finished and I'm simply using the box as a PVR so either way makes little difference to me now.

It was mooted as late as 2017 that BT were eager to buy out the other shareholders in order to take full control of Youview.  However, the BBC thought the offer by BT was too low and if they held out more money would be forthcoming.  That decision now looks like a bad one and BT only has a committment to carry on funding until the end of 2019.  

What a difference a year makes. 

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 554 of 560

Apology for the broken link, I guess it's a one time link they give. But you can access it from here (see entry for Jan 2nd 2018)

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07308805/filing-history
0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 555 of 560

Well YouView have just given us their feedback on the Next Generation roll out with all the deleted features, bugs and refusals to allow users to roll back to the versions they preferred

They just promoted their Direct of Product (Susie Buckridge) on whose watch this all took place to be Richard Halton's replacement as CEO

icon_eek

0 Ratings
hyper01
Contributor
Message 556 of 560

So, how much longer before YouView is consigned to the ash heap of history?

Gone before the end of 2019, or limps into 2020?

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 557 of 560

@hyper01wrote:

So, how much longer before YouView is consigned to the ash heap of history?

Gone before the end of 2019, or limps into 2020?

I hope not but it would be good if BT would take the bull by the horns here.  It's their brand that has suffered from this and apprently their bottom line with those massive zero interest loans to YV secured on not too much.  It'd be hard for them to show them at any net value on their books

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Aspiring Expert
Message 558 of 560

I think it's basically that the long term contract market for non sports has basically matured and hence we are not likely to see much investment other than the two main players. It's really a case of who starts cutting prices first.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 559 of 560

@srpsrpwrote:
I think it's basically that the long term contract market for non sports has basically matured and hence we are not likely to see much investment other than the two main players. It's really a case of who starts cutting prices first.

I tend to agree.  If you have a bog standard PVR plus something like Netflix, Prime, or NowTV why do you need anything else.

It's a changed marketplace.  Even Sky are begining to struggle with their established business model. 

0 Ratings
Message 560 of 560

At the end of November 2018 you introduced a feature on the EPG - a highlighted programme block expands to show the programme time and a partial synopsis.
I find it very annoying. It seems pointless. There’s not enough room to see an entire synopsis so you still have to open the more info panel to finish reading a sentence. If you don’t care about the synopsis, you have to put up with every highlighted programme expanding and covering up other programme titles and their start points.
On short programmes, say 30 minutes, the highlight box extends beyond the end time of the programme. This can be confusing as the current time blue line can appear to show that the highlighted programme is still live, when it is actually the next programme, which is covered up, that is now playing.
Visually this expanding highlight just jumps around whenever you skip through pages and is distracting. Please can you remove it or at the very least make it something you can switch off in settings. Did you test this feature with real users? Where they different user types? Did you find out how people use the EPG to navigate? This feature is a real hindrance to users like me who use the EPG to scan what is on now across multiple pages of channels.
0 Ratings