Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 51 of 559

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

@TimCurtis wrote:

I'd like to see the catchup work the same way as Sky in that the programmes are downloaded to the box rather than running up BBC iPlayer etc.

Same here but it's a strange one that as apparently for purchased content that is exactly how it works.  There is also a noticeable lag between programmes appearing in the YouView iPlayer menu and the Sky BBC On Demand menu.

So I suspect (don't know) that this would require more than just a YouView box software change IE investment in hosting infrastructure and/or licensing of software.  Would customers be prepared to pay money to have YouView deliver this?  I doubt it.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 52 of 559

@TimCurtis wrote:

I'd like to see the catchup work the same way as Sky in that the programmes are downloaded to the box rather than running up BBC iPlayer etc.

Download or stream, you are still using your BB connection and given most people tend to be on unlimted these days is it really an issue?

0 Ratings
KernowChris
Expert
Message 53 of 559

That is the last thing I'd like. The BBC iPlayer App has everything on board as it appears. 

MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 54 of 559

Agreed. I think the iplayer is the best app by far with programmes appearing almost instantaneously in most cases after broadcast. That is definitely one app I'd leave alone also.

As for downloading content to my box and taking up disc space? For me it would have to be "No thanks!". Personally I have no streaming issues with the BBC iplayer, so for me at least, the need to download programmes is irrelevant.

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 55 of 559

Can I just log the ongoing problem of losing audio which seems to happens occasionally when FF through an recording. The only solution being to reboot the box which is awkward if there is an active recording as you lose a couple of minutes while it reboots and you have to manually start the recording again. Smiley Sad
0 Ratings
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 56 of 559

@Jim-lad wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

Download or stream, you are still using your BB connection and given most people tend to be on unlimted these days is it really an issue?

The picture quality of downloaded content on Sky is far superior to the streamed (mostly non-HD) content on the various catchup apps on YouView. Most on-demand programmes are available in HD on Sky.

0 Ratings
Jennifer992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 559

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the first option on pressing the youview/home button to take you to recordings. Currently it takes 5 presses of different buttons just to get to the first recording and there is already a button for GUIDE so that really  doesn't need to take prime spot.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 58 of 559

@chrisdw wrote:

@Jim-lad wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

The picture quality of downloaded content on Sky is far superior to the streamed (mostly non-HD) content on the various catchup apps on YouView. Most on-demand programmes are available in HD on Sky.

Sit further away from your TV and you will never see the difference.  That btw is a fact.  We never watch any HD channels as we sit to far away from our TV for it to make any difference.  Once you get beyond 8 feet any improvement is lost.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 59 of 559

@Jennifer992 wrote:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the first option on pressing the youview/home button to take you to recordings. Currently it takes 5 presses of different buttons just to get to the first recording and there is already a button for GUIDE so that really  doesn't need to take prime spot.

You can access your recordings from the thumbnails across the bottom of the TV screen.  I do this all the time and so avoid all the button presses.  You could of course include the button presses as part of your keep fit regime. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 60 of 559

@Jim-lad wrote:

@chrisdw wrote:

@Jim-lad wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

Sit further away from your TV and you will never see the difference.  That btw is a fact.  We never watch any HD channels as we sit to far away from our TV for it to make any difference.  Once you get beyond 8 feet any improvement is lost.

I'm not sure it is a fact because I'm just over 2 metres away from my 48" TV, and even with glaucoma, I can immediately tell. Sorry, but I'm not going to rearrange my living room so I sit on the other side of the room just because channels haven't brought their streaming services into the modern age. BT, Sky, and TV manufacturers are pushing 4K yet most channels and catch-up services are still SD. It's embarassing.

0 Ratings