Message 623 of 654

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

Never say never 😉
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 624 of 654

I think TimCurtis is right, I very much doubt if we will see this feature now after all this time.  It demonstrates to me that whilst Youview claim they listen to their users they don't actually act upon what they hear. 

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 625 of 654

@Jim-ladwrote:

I think TimCurtis is right, I very much doubt if we will see this feature now after all this time.  It demonstrates to me that whilst Youview claim they listen to their users they don't actually act upon what they hear. 

But surely the problem is YouView listen to who pays them money and looking at their accounts they are clearly being bankrolled by BT (and Talk Talk).  So the issue is likely to be BT not listening. 

YouView isn't going to be top of new BT CEO  Philip Jansen's review list but we're talking £millions a year of BT money and at some point surely he must ask why he's pouring money into a money pit with reducing numbers of users.  YouView and its BT case managers would be wise to act ahead of that

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 626 of 654

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

But surely the problem is YouView listen to who pays them money and looking at their accounts they are clearly being bankrolled by BT (and Talk Talk).  So the issue is likely to be BT not listening. 

YouView isn't going to be top of new BT CEO  Philip Jansen's review list but we're talking £millions a year of BT money and at some point surely he must ask why he's pouring money into a money pit with reducing numbers of users.  YouView and its BT case managers would be wise to act ahead of that

Ah! but you are talking logic and commonsense.  It's been my experience in business that commonsense is a rare commodity.  The larger the organisation the rarity it is. 

I remain to be convinced the new CEO will take the view that Youview is the right path for BT. 

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 627 of 654

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

Ah! but you are talking logic and commonsense.  It's been my experience in business that commonsense is a rare commodity.  The larger the organisation the rarity it is. 

I remain to be convinced the new CEO will take the view that Youview is the right path for BT. 

Same here.  Got to be a fair chance he will see what it's costing BT, try a YV out in his own home, realise it doesn't do one of the PVR basics and decide to get shot of the whole fiasco

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 628 of 654

Lol, of course he will see the 1.74 million BTTV subscribers and will shut of all the income from those subscriptions just because a few people aren’t happy about a few missing features and bugs.
And just bin off the recent deal with SKY to provide NowTV channels on the YouView box that they have been working on for many many months.
There may be reducing numbers but you are talking less than 1% loss ( 16,000 of the 1.74 million). Hardly a reason to abandon a platform.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 629 of 654

The ARPU is pretty low for BT and their subscriber numbers are tiny when compared to the almost 13 million Sky have.

In numbers alone Netflix are about to overtake Sky. I just don't see a long term future for BT TV. I could be wrong and hope I am.
0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 630 of 654

@scointerwrote:
Lol, of course he will see the 1.74 million BTTV subscribers and will shut of all the income from those subscriptions just because a few people aren’t happy about a few missing features and bugs.
And just bin off the recent deal with SKY to provide NowTV channels on the YouView box that they have been working on for many many months.
There may be reducing numbers but you are talking less than 1% loss ( 16,000 of the 1.74 million). Hardly a reason to abandon a platform.

Surely that 1.74 million includes those like me that subscribe to BT Sport but choose to view it on their Sky box.  And it wouldn't be that hard for BT to bundle up its BT TV enterprise and sell it on (to someone that would see the other established platforms as better ways of delivering premium content

The underlying issue remains that BT are paying YouView £millions a year in effectively unsecured loans for a box that will not be helping its brand.

0 Ratings