Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 61 of 559

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

Once you get beyond 8 feet any improvement is lost

The distance depends on screen size so will be different for everybody. It also will depend on how well your tv is set up/calibrated for best picture quality.

Agreed @chrisdw.  Only the BBC iplayer streams in hd with ITV, Four, and Five streaming in sd. That being said, Five do a good job with their output, which I'd put between sd and hd. Other than the BBC they should be embarassed, especially as the biggest majority of stuff they originally broadcast nowadays on their channels is hd to begin with.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 62 of 559

@chrisdw wrote:

@Jim-lad wrote:

@chrisdw wrote:

@Jim-lad wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

I'd like to see the catchup work the same way as Sky in that the programmes are downloaded to the box rather than running up BBC iPlayer etc.

Download or stream, you are still using your BB connection and given most people tend to be on unlimted these days is it really an issue?

The picture quality of downloaded content on Sky is far superior to the streamed (mostly non-HD) content on the various catchup apps on YouView. Most on-demand programmes are available in HD on Sky.

Sit further away from your TV and you will never see the difference.  That btw is a fact.  We never watch any HD channels as we sit to far away from our TV for it to make any difference.  Once you get beyond 8 feet any improvement is lost.

I'm not sure it is a fact because I'm just over 2 metres away from my 48" TV, and even with glaucoma, I can immediately tell. Sorry, but I'm not going to rearrange my living room so I sit on the other side of the room just because channels haven't brought their streaming services into the modern age. BT, Sky, and TV manufacturers are pushing 4K yet most channels and catch-up services are still SD. It's embarassing.

Plenty of info on the Interweb regarding viewing distances and HD, I've posted a link regarding this myself on a previous occasion. Given you're not prepared to compromise then you will either hsve to suck it up or get Sky.

0 Ratings
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 63 of 559

My eyes must literally be deceiving me then, because the difference is very much apparent, hence why I have the HD channel pack and am making the case for HD on-demand content across the platform. It's really not helped by the exceptionally low bitrates used by a lot of SD channels and catch-up services either.

I'm not prepared to "compromise" (i.e. relocate my furniture to suit an arbitrary viewing distance) because there should be no need to. HD needs to become the standard.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 64 of 559

@chrisdw wrote:

My eyes must literally be deceiving me then, because the difference is very much apparent, hence why I have the HD channel pack and am making the case for HD on-demand content across the platform. It's really not helped by the exceptionally low bitrates used by a lot of SD channels and catch-up services either.

I'm not prepared to "compromise" (i.e. relocate my furniture to suit an arbitrary viewing distance) because there should be no need to. HD needs to become the standard.

I have said it is dependant on the distance you sit from the screen.  Perhaps you are able to defy the laws of nature? Another point, how would you suggest we achieve your wish for everything to be HD when there are lots' of good 'old' films and TV that were recorded donkeys years ago e.g. Rising Damp to mention just one such programme.

Check out the link, this should explain it all given you are not prepared to accept what I wrote. 

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

0 Ratings
andy_m1
Contributor
Message 65 of 559

Surely this is all down to the individual content providers rather than something that can be solved with a youview update?

Given that almost the very raison d'etre of youview is to integrate catch up streaming services with freeview t.v. to go down the Sky route and set aside some storage for downloaded catch up programmes would sort of miss the point of it all, I think. What needs to happen is the catch up services need to up their game a bit.
0 Ratings
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 66 of 559

@andy_m1 wrote:
Surely this is all down to the individual content providers rather than something that can be solved with a youview update?

I totally agree - this discussion is not relevant to this thread other than I would like to see options in YouView to prioritise HD channel over SD....  i.e. HD channels in the mini-guide at startup, or when you select a SD channel then it should offer you the option to switch to HD version if available.  (press blue button or something)...  similarly when setting recordings.

(& yes I know that some people don't care/need that and are happy with SD, that's fine, just make it an option for those that do care.)

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 67 of 559

@Martyfp68 wrote:

@andy_m1 wrote:

I totally agree - this discussion is not relevant to this thread other than I would like to see options in YouView to prioritise HD channel over SD....  i.e. HD channels in the mini-guide at startup, or when you select a SD channel then it should offer you the option to switch to HD version if available.  (press blue button or something)...  similarly when setting recordings.

(& yes I know that some people don't care/need that and are happy with SD, that's fine, just make it an option for those that do care.)

The Humax Freesat boxes offer the option of HD or SD when you select a programme to record.

0 Ratings
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 68 of 559

yes, I though that the "last gen" BT software also offered this, or maybe I misremember at it was my Humax Freeview box.

Either way, it's a very useful feature. 

0 Ratings
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 69 of 559

@Jim-lad wrote:

@chrisdw wrote:

I have said it is dependant on the distance you sit from the screen.  Perhaps you are able to defy the laws of nature? Another point, how would you suggest we achieve your wish for everything to be HD when there are lots' of good 'old' films and TV that were recorded donkeys years ago e.g. Rising Damp to mention just one such programme.

Check out the link, this should explain it all given you are not prepared to accept what I wrote. 

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

The same way that the existing HD channels do it, obvously. If it was filmed in HD it's broadcast in HD, if not it's in SD. There is no reason we should be watching modern programming in low resolution and with poor sound quality though.

Anyway, I feel we've derailed the thread enough at this point.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 70 of 559

@Martyfp68 wrote:

yes, I though that the "last gen" BT software also offered this, or maybe I misremember at it was my Humax Freeview box.

Either way, it's a very useful feature. 

You remember correctly.  Last Gen (aka Better Gen) did offer that prompt to an option to record in HD if an HD feed was available

0 Ratings