Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 81 of 487

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

MadRob wrote:

No need to buy a box. Just head over to the "My Humax Forum" for plenty of user info.

Taken from here https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-fvp-5000t-1 Recordings - can now be viewed as Grid (tiles - as per 4000T) or a List

To counter that though from here https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-5000t-im-well-annoyed/page/2#post-60884

From what I have seen so far from the pictures they haven’t improved the format of the recording list and the layout of the recordings seem to show less than before, I can only see a list of 8 displayed, but I understand you can still view them as a grid which I prefer.

I agree, that list view, with unnecessarily large channel idents, is even worse than the grid.
There is no point removing the useless screen grabs and then not utilising the space that's left. I would've expected there to be two rows of recordings with at least 20 items per page.

Why does Humax keep getting basics like this so wrong?

The moral of the story? Be careful what you wish for.

Well if the 5000T is anything like its predecessor (4000T) then there might be plenty of bugs to start with.  Some of the issues that plagued the 4000T still haven't been resolved over a year on.

However, the fact that it does have list and grid view for recordings does at least show that it is possible, which means Youview can't claim otherwise. 

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 82 of 487

@Stevek1311  The reason I said "Be careful what you wish for" was based purely on this piece from that post over on My Humax 'list view, with unnecessarily large channel idents, is even worse than the grid'.

I think the ideal compromise going by early feedback across the web is, yes, keep List as a user defined option alongside Tiles, but implement it better, ie without the channel idents. That seems to be the general concensus so as to have a more useful List experience as too many users are already saying that the List option in its current form is more of a mess that the Tiles.

So, both views can be utilised into the software, that much is now clear, but maybe a better implementation of List view than currently being offered on the new FVP box would be the best way to go on Youview.

"If I were BT I'd be wondering just what value having YouView as a middle man between them and Humax is actually adding (if any)" - AGREED!

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Aspiring Expert
Message 83 of 487

MadRob wrote:

. . .I think the ideal compromise going by early feedback across the web is, yes, keep List as a user defined option alongside Tiles, but implement it better, ie without the channel idents.. . .

Agreed

My brief experiment with a Sky-Q showed they work along those lines.  Initial view Tiles but ability to call up lists by type of recording

FWIW imho the Tiles display of recent and current when you hit the YouView/Home button is very good

0 Ratings
OldNo1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 84 of 487

1. Lose the tiles, return to lists for recordings.

2. If you retain tiles for navigation- eg for Players - improve the contrast. White on white (ITV, 4, Netflix) is impossible to make out.

3. As well as reintroducing hide channels and favourites, add the ability to change the order. What would be even better would be to have a favourites list that included Players. Currently it takes 7 presses of the remote to get to Netflix yet apart from Eurosport I probably watch it more than any single channel.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 85 of 487

OldNo1 wrote:

1. Lose the tiles, return to lists for recordings.

2. If you retain tiles for navigation- eg for Players - improve the contrast. White on white (ITV, 4, Netflix) is impossible to make out.

3. As well as reintroducing hide channels and favourites, add the ability to change the order. What would be even better would be to have a favourites list that included Players. Currently it takes 7 presses of the remote to get to Netflix yet apart from Eurosport I probably watch it more than any single channel.

Lose the tiles and return to lists??? You'll be wanting to go back to horse and cart next.  If you look at the new Humax FVP5000T you will see a very familiar UI i.e tiles, same with SkyQ and I expect the same with the new Humax Freesat box currently in development.

Granted you also have the option of 'lists' as well as 'grids' with the new 5000T so lists are possible.  However, grids/tiles are the future for all modern PVRs.

I have absolutley no problem with seeing the Netflix app though if I'm honest I usually use the Netflix app on my phone and 'cast' to a chromecast device as this is a much more user friendly option (or at least I find it so). 

0 Ratings
OldNo1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 86 of 487

Jim-lad wrote:

Lose the tiles and return to lists??? You'll be wanting to go back to horse and cart next.  If you look at the new Humax FVP5000T you will see a very familiar UI i.e tiles, same with SkyQ and I expect the same with the new Humax Freesat box currently in development.

Granted you also have the option of 'lists' as well as 'grids' with the new 5000T so lists are possible.  However, grids/tiles are the future for all modern PVRs.

I have absolutley no problem with seeing the Netflix app though if I'm honest I usually use the Netflix app on my phone and 'cast' to a chromecast device as this is a much more user friendly option (or at least I find it so). 

My TV isn't a touchscreen so tiles serve no purpose. They take up screen space. I don't need to see a picture, though I can see they might appeal to children. With luck they will go the same way as carousels on websites.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 87 of 487

OldNo1 wrote:

Jim-lad wrote:

My TV isn't a touchscreen so tiles serve no purpose. They take up screen space. I don't need to see a picture, though I can see they might appeal to children. With luck they will go the same way as carousels on websites.

I have to say that I think you're swimming against the tide.  When the next generation Freesat UHD box is launched that will likely be all the main players using tiles for PVRs. 

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Aspiring Expert
Message 88 of 487

Well this might be of interest.  Finding myself for a while I threw the posts to date in this thread into Excel to get a collation.  So here on the basis of one point per poster per comment made, these are the top areas

RankCountIssue

17Jump to Time
27Hide TV Channels
34Buffer EPG timings
44Bring back Lists
54Option to turn off YouView Bar
64Direct to 'My TV' button
73Actions when displaying info
83Store recordings offline
93Remove Fog at screen bottom
103Durable Series recordings
113Downloads as recordings

To see the detail it's all in this spreadsheet (shared via Google Sheets)  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xbMmR6Il0o4xUCvWP8bureZ73X1Gr8h4OCJlLMylsnI/edit?usp=sharing

For example using the Excel drop down filters, you can see that the raw comments behind 'jump to time' are actually these:

WhoPost #Comment
speedtrip2Being able to step back & forth in (long) recordings by a specified amount of time
Stevek13119speedtrip wrote: . . .Seconded esp that jump to time point 1
Jim-lad11Definitely the return of the 'jump to/time bar' has to be the number one priority
MadRob12 Being able to step back & forth in (long) recordings by a specified amount of time
gomezz14Restore play-bar time positioning
tp215Totally in agreement with all that has been stated already
TimCurtis18Restore the ability to jump to a time when starting playback.

Anyone want more info please use the forum facility to message me 

0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 89 of 487

It's all very well having the ability to hide channels etc but i would have thought one of the major downfalls of the box is not being able to have a recording buffer at either end of a programr. Many times we have sat watching something only to find you don't have the end.

At least with our cable box you can add extra time at both ends, one reason we have been reluctant to cancel it.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 90 of 487

_dreamer_ wrote:

It's all very well having the ability to hide channels etc but i would have thought one of the major downfalls of the box is not being able to have a recording buffer at either end of a programr. Many times we have sat watching something only to find you don't have the end.

At least with our cable box you can add extra time at both ends, one reason we have been reluctant to cancel it.

I think you will find that this occurrence is rare with the main terrestrial broadcasters who use AR.  It's the more minor channels which don't either user AR or don't implement it correctly which tends to cause these issues.

I have had 'padding' on the vast majority of PVRs going as far back as the original Sky+ box and to date I have never ever had a need to use it, so for me a totally wasted 'feature'. 

Channel 5 can't seem to implement it correctly however as when I set a series e.g. Can't pay we'll take it away, I then find it will record not only the current series but ones I have already seen including repeats from old series etc. - a right nuisance. 

0 Ratings