Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rombre
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

No BT TV with Infinity 3/4 ?

Go to solution

I had BT broadband (c. 12 MBit/s) and BT TV (BT Essential package, i.e. Freeview HD and a YouView box) and recently switched to Infinity 3 (160 MBit/s).

Now I wanted to order the TV Entertainment package + HD option to get Internet channels like Eurosport and activate BT Sport on my YouView box as I can currently only watch with the BT app on my iPad / iPhone.

At the beginning I tried to order BTSport / TV Entertainment online but always got error messages, that I should try again later. I then called BT and the drama began ... After a 30 minute phone call the very nice BT salesperson told me that she will finish the order for me and I will get a confirmation by e-mail as she is having difficulties with the system. After a few hours she called me back and explained me that the order doesn't work. Because I have Fiber to the Home (FTTH), only a specific team at BT can process my TV order. She tried forwarding my call to them but no one was available.

A day later I called BT again, asking for the FTTH team explaining the problems with the order. Over a period of 1 1/2 hours my call was forwarded multiple times and several BT operators tried to put in my order - in any case without success. Some time later I called again and was forwarded to another very helpful person I spent 30 more minutes on the phone with. The result was that according to him it should all work and I will get an e-mail confirmation shortly and the 3 packages (TV Entertainment, HD, BT Sport) will be working in max. 24 hours). Of course I have never received any e-mail, my account still shows "TV Essential" and my YouView box still does not show any internet channels.

It is really emberassing that I cannot get the heavily promoted BT Sport channels on my YouView box nor BT is able to provide my extra TV channels (I want to pay for!). I have now spent many hours on this topic and still no one seems to be able to help me - incredibly frustrating.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: No BT TV with Infinity 3/4 ?

Go to solution

Hi Rombre,

Sorry for your ordering troubles so far, you are correct that there should be no problems in adding the extra channels to your BT TV account via 160Mb FTTP.

If you drop your details to a Mod they will be able to help you for sure. If you ask them to pass your details to me then I will make sure you get service whilst the order is being sorted out.

Steve

Highlighted
rombre
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks Steve. I sent my details to CraigS.

Roman

0 Ratings
Southwestwall
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Steve_M wrote:

Hi Rombre,

Sorry for your ordering troubles so far, you are correct that there should be no problems in adding the extra channels to your BT TV account via 160Mb FTTP.

Oh I so wish that was the case.  From my original order for BT TV YouView in September, it feels like I have spent more effort on the phone about it than watching it.

On placing my original BT TV order online the first weekend of September, the web site insisted on shunting me to a bare bones order with no sport or extra TV.  No amount of jiggery-pokery would make it proceed with any other options.

I had an idea at the time that it may have something to do with being a FttH Infinity Option 3 customer ... but I had no idea what an infuriatingly unproductive saga would transpire.  Akin to attempting steerage of a whale with a feather duster.  As a side note, another organisation as glacially ponderous as BT also use Morning by Peer Gynt for hold music.

A query call revealed nothing more than confused surprise, so I went ahead with the basic order, being told that the extras could be added once connected.  The kit arrived on September 16th, after the inexplicable two week connection waiting period.

The box was plugged in to the antenna and direct to the Home Hub.  Standard TV, YouView catch-up and the on-demand players all worked fine.

However, BT Vision was completely non-functional, returning an incorrect connection error when started.  Several evenings of Peer Gynt, several BT departments, an "exception" and a "manual request" later, I was fianlly passed to someone from a "fibre to the home team".

It turns out there was a "sofware problem" at BT's end, which once rectified, allowed BT Vision to update and function.  Great.  Well actually, not so great, as I had no interest in it apart from use as a portal to the Essential Extra TV channels and BT Sport ... the saga continued with those.

BT Vision operational, I set about attempting to order Essential Extra channels and BT Sport.  The web site was still of no use, defaulting to a new BT TV order instead of the desired extras.  After another couple of weeks, littered with failed order attempts by phone, being passed on from call to call in uninformed circles and hours of Greig, I came back to a "fibre to the home team".

The explanation I was proffered goes thus.  Apparently, there are two qualification tests required on provisioning of the Essential Extra TV channels and BT Sport.  There is a problem with one of those tests whereby Fibre to the Home connections (Infinity Option 3) are not recognised as an Infinity product

0 Ratings
Southwestwall
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

[rant] Damnn your forum session timer! That's what torpedoed my unfinished post, after which I lost the will to continue yesterday [/rant]

The Essential Extra TV channels and BT Sport saga continued, as will I.

Eventually, after several more evenings of Peer Gynt and pass-the-caller, I managed to find out what BT were proposing to actually do about the TV options ordering problem.

An unusually proactive rep not only did exactly what he said on the tin and provided the answer, but also called me not once, but twice, to ensure I was fully informed. Yes, after over two months of musical ignorance I was genuinely surprised at reasonable customer service instead of empty platitudes.

The issue is recognised as affecting Infinity option 3 FttH customers and is being addressed. However, rectification is not expected until March 2014. To fix a service test that says "yes, fibre is an Infinity product and qualifies for provision of TV". The connection is fibre and constant, not copper and variable, so just have a simple tick box instead!

I won't be waiting until March to call back, that's for sure. Pestering a glacier may be an act of abject futility, but it can be therapeutic all the same. I have no recourse to anything else, apart from paying an early termination fee and moving to another oversized and indifferent provider.

0 Ratings
rombre
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I haven't heard from BT since Friday. If it is really true that BT is not able to offer BT TV via Infinity 3/4 it would just be embarrassing. I couldn't get BT TV (other than Freeview) on my previous BT broadband because it was non-Infinity, now I have Infinity and I cannot get it because my Infinity is too fast?

What is the use of BT Sport for BT when almost no one can receive it on the TV?

- BT broadband customer? Not possible, you need Infinity (or an old Vision+ box)

- BT Infinity customer? Only possible if you have a cheap package. If you wanted faster internet and paying a premium, then you can't get BT Sport on your TV ...

0 Ratings
Southwestwall
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

It seems that way rombre, for at least some of us FttH Infinity customers, until this supposed fix to BT's ordering system, so that it will recognise fibre as an Infinity product.

Embarrassing incompetence of the first order, it would seem, to cripple your flagship technology product with a management software balls-up.

I have BT TV with functioning YouView, catch-up viewing, recording and on-demand players.

I also have BT Vision Essential, but have not used it, as I have no interest in paying for last season's TV and film leftovers on-demand.  I only want it for access to the extra channels.

However, as described above, I'm waiting for BT to get their coprolyte in one sock, so that I can order the BT Vision Essential Extra TV channels and BT Sport channels.

If I had known it would have been such a fuster cluck I would have seriously considered choosing another provider.

Sense forbid that some kind of communication would take place with fibre customers to inform them of the current situation, or even provide such detail in the ordering process.  Rather just take punters' money and leave them to stew.

0 Ratings
rombre
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@Southwestwall wrote:

However, as described above, I'm waiting for BT to get their coprolyte in one sock, so that I can order the BT Vision Essential Extra TV channels and BT Sport channels.

Yes, that's exactly my situation. At the moment I have Freeview channels that I could also receive without the Youview box and on catch up tv I can also get on my Xbox. What I want is BT Sport and the Entertainment package (+ HD option) to get the additional channels.

@Southwestwall wrote:

If I had known it would have been such a fuster cluck I would have seriously considered choosing another provider.

Sense forbid that some kind of communication would take place with fibre customers to inform them of the current situation, or even provide such detail in the ordering process.  Rather just take punters' money and leave them to stew.

Absolutely. I have spoken to more than 10 people at BT now - not a single one told me that it is not possible to get BT TV - no one knows why they can't put my order in, no one has a clue ...

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Rombre,

Again I wish to appologise for the ongoing ordering issues. This isn't my area of expertise so forgive me for not being able to offer any more advice.

I have however, manually added the channels to your account so please give them a go now 😄

The order will still need to be placed at somepoint so don't be alarmed if this does happen

Regards

Steve

rombre
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
Thank you so much, Steve!

I just had a look and indeed the channels of all three packages (BTSport, Entertainment, HD) are now working.
0 Ratings