cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaintPaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

No Dolby 5.1 surround sound on BT Vision Films/Box office anymore?

Go to solution

I've had a BT YouView box since the launch in October last year and was disappointed at the time that dolby had yet to be enabled and had to wait a couple of months for this to happen, however ,I have been enjoying BT's selection of HD films with full 5.1 dolby surround sound, but have noticed that Dolby has now been removed!?

So BT now expect you pay full whack to watch an HD film with no surround to go with it? I am a bit of an audiophile so do appreciate quality sound when watching movies. I am now forced to rent BluRay movies so that I can get proper surround sound. BT have confirmed that they are aware that Dolby is no longer provided and other than telling me their software technicians are working on it, they have been unable to confirm when this will be rectified.

I feel a bit ripped off having signed up to YouView with a view to enjoying Dolby 5.1 and once again I'm having to pay for something I am not getting. Does anyone know what is happening?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
tassiekev
Contributor
Message 2 of 28

Re: No Dolby 5.1 surround sound on BT Vision Films/Box office anymore?

Go to solution

I was going to post about the same thing happening on BTVision  (not BoxOffice - haven't tried it) in Vision Films, it even seems to apply to BBC-HD movies which have 5.1 sound on my Sky+HD box but have stereo on the the BTVison box. Getting a bit tired of downloading an (modern) HD movie and then finding its only got stereo sound. I'm no audiophile but even with only 2 ears, I can tell the difference on  5.1 system.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

according to this link and this link they have gone live with 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus on BT Vision ondemand content

0 Ratings
SaintPaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution
This reminds me of when they launched the box and it was supposed to have Dolby 5.1. My reveiver is definitely not decoding dolby digital so it has not gone live at all? The sound format on vison film (hd) does not change and is linear pcm 48 khz!? Looks like another sodgy press release.
0 Ratings
SaintPaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution
Also, what does dolby digital plus mean for those of us using optical cables and older receivers. Does this mean they will no longer be able to decode the sound in dolby digital 5.1 or should the receiver downgrade DD+ to standard DD automatically?
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

well definitely no more 5.1 on HD films at the moment (tested about 5 films tonight to confirm) 😞 even though earlier in the year was as my av amp would show up it was receiving 5.1 audio and now it's standard stereo being transmitted

0 Ratings
TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

Yes, I have noticed that 5.1 has vanished ..... one (but only one) of the reasons I switched from the new BTvision box & software to Youview was to get 5.1 back.

I hope BT are going to tell us in a crystal clear fashion (very soon maybe) that it is back !!!

They will (well I guess may) notice I have stopped watching films via youview since 5.1 vanished, and don't intend to waste any more time looking to see if it's back myself.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

@TrickyDicky wrote:

Yes, I have noticed that 5.1 has vanished ..... one (but only one) of the reasons I switched from the new BTvision box & software to Youview was to get 5.1 back.

I hope BT are going to tell us in a crystal clear fashion (very soon maybe) that it is back !!!

They will (well I guess may) notice I have stopped watching films via youview since 5.1 vanished, and don't intend to waste any more time looking to see if it's back myself.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!

I hope so as well, but not a lot worth watching on BT at moment, so currently watching films on the other on-demand service through Youview and Youview are hoping to announce other on-demand providers soon. So lets see if they do something to keep people interested

0 Ratings
GraemeF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

I think that there is a significant issue going on.....

Can't stream about two-thirds of HD content with HDMI outputting DD. Change HDMI output to stereo, works ok!

So tried replacing HDMI with S/PDIF and no DD output.

Discovered work around. Set HDMI to stereo, Choose/play film.

Pop up menu settings and change HDMI to Surround.

Exit settings and watch film......................... Crazy

0 Ratings
SaintPaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution
Good work, i've tried the work around using optical and I can now get dolby 2.0 on a lot of the films, but have just tried it on Narnia Prince Caspian and bingo: FULL DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1. Many thanks Graeme, hopefully BT will come up with a fix soon.
0 Ratings