cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaintPaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 28

Re: No Dolby 5.1 surround sound on BT Vision Films/Box office anymore?

Go to solution
Also get dolby 5.1 with pirates of the Caribbean and The Eagle. Its seems that the more recent blockbusters have 5.1 but most of the older movies do not?
0 Ratings
GraemeF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 28

Go to solution

No problem, But I couldn't get Dolby at all on s/pdif optical? But to be honest once I got a fix for HDMI, i wasnt interested in optical....

0 Ratings
SaintPaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 28

Go to solution
Unfortunately my Sony receiver only does optical. I opened up the settings menu with the film playing and changed spdif from surround to stereo and back to surround again and hey presto! It seems an update is required so that this switching happens automatically when a film is played.
0 Ratings
GraemeF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 28

Go to solution

Good to know, and I hope BT gets it sorted soon 🙂

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 28

Go to solution

nice - i'll check this out later, but yeh I had a lot of issues playing hd films on my retail youview box initially but seem to be ok now - had to swap boxes over anyway ready for sports in august so will see how the bt box performs.

actually found out why the BT box was playing fine, it was because the audio had been set to stereo as no point outputing 5.1 to tv, as soon as set to 5.1 though I was unable to download any movie.

0 Ratings
GraemeF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 28

Go to solution

Yep. Strange Behaviour 🙂

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 28

Go to solution

At least i know this is a bt vision player only issue as affects both boxes and also only player content. All other players and hd channels are fine if leave as surround.

0 Ratings
GraemeF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 28

Go to solution

I found that if I plugged the Hdmi cable (set on surround) direct to my TV it worked ok. Only problem is that my TV doesnt take surround! I am using an Onkyo amp. SaintPaul was having SPDIF problems with his Sony Amp, so it doesnt seem like a straightforward compatability issue. 

Recordings in dolby are fine - as you say, it is constrained to btvision hd content

Wonder how big the problem is?

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 28

Go to solution

Definitely a BT Vision issue as I own both the retail box and bt box - both work supplying fine 5.1 on HD channels - my amp lights up to say it is receiving the 5.1 signal - switch to bt vision and play a movie that has 5.1 and it won't work - all hd films that are in stereo play fine as well - it's probably all users affected, but only people with av receivers have noticed the problem

0 Ratings
thisisgil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 28

Go to solution

I've discovered a work-around of sorts for the lack of surround film.

Firstly, pick a film that you know for sure has a surround soundtrack - I picked Narnia Prince Caspian as mentioned above.

The movie started for me with just a two channel soundtrack. I navigated to the sound menu and switched from "surround" to "stereo" and hit okay. I then navigated back into the sound menu and switched back to surround, hit okay, and boom! Surround kicked right in.

This may help some people who are struggling to get surround working at all - this seemed to work for me (via HDMI).

0 Ratings