Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Caher
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

No recording buffer?

Go to solution

Hello,

still getting use to the you view box but  notice that there is no manual recording 'buffer' and as a result some of my recordings are getting clipped. Having been a virgin and sky before i always had the option to add 5 mins either side but with this system its not possible. Or is there a setting i have missed?

thanks

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
srpsrp
Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: No recording buffer?

Go to solution

I think the guides are meant to be auto updating in the event of a programme overrun. The idea is that you shouldn't need to add extra, it was a SKy innovation to make sure you record 10 minutes of adverts before/ after.

0 Ratings
Caher
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks but that is my point, programmes are been cut off either at the start or conclusion.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

The Youview stance to date has been:

. When the YouView device was in architectural design it was decided that relying on real time triggers from broadcasters would provide a mechanism to record programs accurately. This is because this system allows not just for minor movements in scheduling, which can be catered for with padding, but also major schedule overruns, the sort of thing associated with live events which padding cannot deal with. In addition, because it is quite possible that viewers will wish to record multiple programmes back to back on different channels, padding in its simplest form can lead to additional clashes even though the box has two tuners. More advanced forms of padding increase the complexity of the implementation and don’t solve the problem completely.

However, in order for this method to work broadcasters do need to ensure that their on air triggers are accurate. As you note this is not always the case and can lead to some recordings having either the start or the end missing on occasion.

So some broadcasters do work hard to provide accurate on air triggers., However others do not and their recordings tend to default to the original timings in the EPG (guide).

smcbeath
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Just watching the bayern v dortmund final, on recording and it cuts out with 5 mins left of extra time and possibly pens. This really should have been fixed/buffer added by now.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
SOP is to record the following programme too.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

@smcbeath wrote:

Just watching the bayern v dortmund final, on recording and it cuts out with 5 mins left of extra time and possibly pens. This really should have been fixed/buffer added by now.

If you look at the EPG  you will see that the backwards EPG shows that match coverage lasting from 6:45 to 10:15pm.

However the Youview recording on myView lasts from 6:45 to 9:30pm which is what the original schedule was. So if Youview  accurate recording is working correctly and as seems to be the case here that the Broadcaster adjusted the program end timing it is surprising that a complete recording didn't occur. The fact that it didn't,t should warrant investigation by BT and Youview.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

The impression I get from seeing similar on various occasions over the past couple of years is that although they update the EPG they do *not* update (or recognise) the running status which still clicks in on the old EPG clock time.  That makes it a Youview software problem as the same broadcast recorded on another Freeview box will record the over-run correctly.

0 Ratings
smcbeath
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Hello zulu, have you ever come across a live program where the recording has adjusted itself to accommodate extra time, penalties, racing being delayed because of rain etc I have had alot of sport cut off early because of this.

It cant be that hard for each program to be given an id number, when it goes live it records, and when the program ends the id gets turned off and the recording ends. It sounds easy in my mind anyway, lol. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

@smcbeath the main PSB (Freeview) channels generally manage to accomodate overuns siuccessfully. I believe  some (very few)  of BT Sport own productions did accomodate overuns in the past. I've not noticed any in recent months. The process for accurate recording and the standards (such as they are) are defined so the broadcasters and the EPG (guide) providers need to work to make the process work.  Unfortunately the process appears not to be binding hence a lot of time based rather than accurate program transmitted recordings.

Very difficult to get any senisible dialogue with the broadcasters , BT or Youview on the issues .. Standard responses abound -- which can be summarised  as -- not our fault , too difficult , it only happens rarely but we will feed back your comments.

My solution-as a first step -  a swift & proper independent audit of the Youview Accurate Recording process -clearly some channel/transmission channels manage  accurate recordings most of the time., many on Youview don't.

Personally I like accurate recording on those channels that  (seem to have it working correctly. The range of recording otions that Humax have on the HDR Fox T2 Freeview recorder ... which in practice allow you to choose to use accurate recording (from EPG) ,  add padding to start and/or end of scheduled recording , set  a manual recording (ie  select channel and start and end time) is probably the best range of options that I,ver seen.  On that box which I use fopr majoprity of my Freeview recordings  I use the accurate recording for the majority of recordings with the manual setting ocasionally for those channels/programmes that I suspect there may be timing accuracy issues on.

0 Ratings