cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colin999
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Not impressed with chat to sort terrestrial tv problem.

Go to solution

I have a problem with pixelation on terrestrial tv. Signal strength is 91% with quality at 100%. It only lasts for about 10 to 20 secs and only occurs about once an hour or so. Went onto chat and spent 30 minutes until I lost the chat connection. Told the chat person that I had reset the box and retuned.  Was asked if ethernet was direct or via powerline adapters. What's that to do with terrestrial tv I asked. Can be the problem says chat person. It's direct.  I was asked to plug the aerial directly into the tv then asked if the problem had gone away. Tv picture perfect just like it is most of the time with the bt box. Now the real corker -- told to swap the ethernet cable connections  round and then asked if the problem was sorted. Asked the chat person if he had accessed the bt box and found anything. Didn't really get an answer although was told earlier that he needed to test the line and that would take 8 to 10 mins. He/she asked me if the problem was sorted but I lost the chat session before I could say I wouldn't know that until I'd had a couple of days with no fault. I'm not impressed with this level of fault finding. Can't wait till contract up and change supplier. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Not impressed with chat to sort terrestrial tv problem.

Go to solution
The one thing that springs to mind is that a badly-screened ethernet cable running close and parallel to a badly screened aerial cable could cause intermittent interference?
0 Ratings
colin999
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Good point Gomezz but it's not that. Cables are at right angles to each other. Aerial lead goes straight back and through wall and ethernet cable goes to the right to the router about 8 feet away.

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

There are a few posts on here with a similar problem, one of the members knows more about it I’m sure they will see this in the morning. But to much signal is as bad as to little and can overload the box. There is a thing you can buy for a couple of pounds you put on the end of the aerial wire then plug it into the tv box. I have a feeling you are suffering the same overload problem. 

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
The device is a signal attenuator that’ll slightly reduce the signal level. I can’t remember exactly but I’m sure someone posted a while back saying the optimal signal level for the humax box was around 80%. Is your aerial signal boosted by a masthead amp or aerial booster. If so they could be developing a fault. They may also have a variable gain control which you could reduce and thus eliminate the need for the Attenuator.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

See Picture breakup or missing FreeView channels

You will need to connected to BT Broadband to access any links I post which are hosted on my website..
If you are connected to BT Broadband, and you cannot access them, then please let me know on this thread. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I have the same problem with break-up of the picture evry so often.  It was reported a long time ago and all chats were completely useless as all that happened was the box got reset. The final straw was when the person on the chat line insisted on going through the usual procedure even though I was a lot further down the line in progress - indeed talking to the resolution department - He insisted on testing the line and box and then after 10 minutes asked me to check whether it was working ok!! I found that he had reset the box and wiped all stored programmes from it.  I really do not know how to progress this further as after I complained at what he had done he cut me off.  Service so far from BT has been terrible, the tv channels have been terrible, the YouView box has been terrible. THe only thing that works is broadband!! 

0 Ratings
colin999
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

20db attenuator fitted 8 days ago and problem solved. No more breakup or picture freezes. I set the signal to 60% with 100% quality. 

How come BT call centre doesn't know about this and how come BT don't supply attenuators ?

Colin

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I suppose it comes down to the fact some forum members hear have a vast knowledge of certain aspects to Youview and or the terrestrial transmission system and that’s something you couldn’t easily train the customer service staff at BT with. As far as BT are concerned they make you agree you have a working aerial at the point you order BT TV and the number of people who are suffering from too strong levels are probably massively outweighed by those with poor signal.

That said i’m glad its now working fully for you. Enjoy BT TV

0 Ratings