Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JezzaF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Now TV Freezing and Buffering

Hi everyone,

New customer here with UHD You View box connected to a BT fibre hub via ethernet cable with circa 75mb download speed.

I've been watching 'Game of Thrones' from the beginning on Now TV, (the app is up to date) have watched around 25 episodes so far and more than 85% of them have frozen at some stage. I have to fast forward briefly, press play to get it going again.

This buffering has also happened fairly regularly (not as bad) whilst watching live TV through Now TV.

Why does this keep happening when I'm plugged directly into the Hub with a 70mb+ connection?

I contacted Now TV and guess what, they said contact BT.

It's nowhere near as good as Sky!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
MJV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: Now TV Freezing and Buffering

Exactly the same here. 74mbps fttp plus mini connectors.

Now TV is fine via live channels but streaming NOW TV HD programmes freeze randomly. Streaming quality is 7831, whatever that number means. 

As a comparison I also stream NOW via wifi to a cheap Roku in another room without any issue.

No other streaming app has an issue via BT TV box.

Not even two weeks into my BT TV contract and  concerned what I've signed up for.

0 Ratings
JezzaF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Agreed.

A 2 year contract, I'm about 6 weeks in and this has been happening constantly.

Anyone here from BT that can help?

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 18

I think most people experience this but having used the NowTV app on various devices over the years, it doesn't seem to be optimised for different devices. NowTV/Sky seem to have adopted the one size fits all even if it doesn't fit properly. As far as Youview goes, it seems that NowTV app is managing it's memory usage very poorly which results in the cache getting full and not clearing until you exit the stream and restart. Every other streaming service manages the cache without problem so to me it's sloppy programming from NowTV/Sky but they will always without fail blame someone else if they can. 

0 Ratings
JezzaF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for the reply Nigel. 

It still annoys me that I'm tied into a 2 year contract with BT which gives me a TV service that is nowhere near as good as using Sky direct.

I used Virgin TV for a couple of years and whilst the TV menu/programming was a bit 'clunky' compared with Sky, at least it didn't constantly buffer.

Jez

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

It's annoying but I think it's limitation of the Youview boxes and lack of cache memory that's causing the issue. With better programming on Sky part, it could be resolved. Hopefully they'll issue an update to resolve the issue at some point but I wouldn't hold your breath. But the BT TV team do monitor this forum and feed back technical issues that do get resolved

0 Ratings
JezzaF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

So if this is a limitation of the YouView box and not Now TV, if I buy a Now TV dongle or just download the app to my smart tv, would that potentially solve the problem?

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

TBF it's a bit of both. It's a limitation of the Youview that if NowTV/Sky resolve quite easily if they could be bothered. It's more sloppy programming on their part because no other streaming services have the same issue. 

If you're going to buy a streaming stick though, I'd go for a Roku Streaming Stick+ as it's full UHD and supports HDR so if you use Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc you'll get to see them in all their glory.

Roku make all Sky's streaming sticks but they also sell their own branded ones which aren't locked in to the NowTV eco-system

0 Ratings
JezzaF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

I might try a Roku stick and see if BT will pay for it!

Thanks for your advice Nigel, it's appreciated.

Jez

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

@JezzaFwrote:

I might try a Roku stick and see if BT will pay for it!

😀😂🤣😂😀and you have a better chance of seeing some flying 🐖🐖🐖

0 Ratings