Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guppyfish1
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Now TV or Sky Cinema through BT

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted some advice I have 2 BT boxes and I wanted to watch films and get Sky Cinema.
Would you go through Sky Cinema on BT or the Now TV app?
Thanks
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Now TV or Sky Cinema through BT

Well if you have the BT Extra box subscription for your 2 Youview boxes you will not be able to subscribe to Sky Cinema on your BT Tv subscription.

0 Ratings
Guppyfish1
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Thanks zulu17,
Sorry if the question seemed stupid. I take it that you can only view Sky Cinema through one box only?
So by taking the now tv option I won’t be able to stream sky cinema but watch on demand films through both boxes?
Thanks for the reply
0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Both services are only available in Standard Definition currently via a YouView box.

Sky Cinema is £16 a month (excluding any deal you can do), where NOW TV is £9.99 (again excluding discounts).

With NOW TV you can watch on up to 4 devices, so both boxes plus two further devices (although you can only watch on two devices at a time).

I don't have Sky Cinema via BT, so it isn't very clear from what I can see whether it is limited or not to one box, but the terms suggest it may be:

*Sky Cinema, Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Extra are not available with BT TV app with Extra Box.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Sky  channels when the full NOW TV service is available through a BT box from next year

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

If you are not aware there are expected changes afoot in 2019

see

http://www.sport.bt.com/sport/bt-and-sky-agree-channel-sharing-deal-S11364237151259

However the present Youview Now Tv app offers the Sky movies on demand in SD quality but not a live channel broadcast stream. Your subcription would normally cover more devices so you would be able to watch a live stream on other devices (subject to your device limit) if you wish. The maximum streaming quality could be higher than SD but be variable on other devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
duncansby
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Hi - try NOWTV first as you get a free 14 day trial.  The advantages being that you can watch on up to 4 devices, the disadvantage being that it is only broadcast on SD (as is Sky cinema) and there is no dolby surround sound if that's important to you.

On the plus side I went to cancel mine online after the 14 day trial and was offered it for 3.99 a monh for 3 months.  However the SD picture was annoying me so ended up casting via my ipad to get a decent piture

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

@duncansbywrote:

On the plus side I went to cancel mine online after the 14 day trial and was offered it for 3.99 a monh for 3 months.  However the SD picture was annoying me so ended up casting via my ipad to get a decent piture

The offers from NOW TV are usually very good, never pay full price! 

I think I paid £99 on Black Friday for a year of Movies and Entertainment. Pretty much any device will give you better picture quality than YouView, with things like their Smart Stick (only £15), and most other apps putting out up to 720p HD.

I wouldn't say the Sport is brilliant though as it needs a higher frame rate. Which is why I am really interested to see what the BT/NOW TV tie up looks like next year because if they get the channels in the guide, include the catch up/on demand and get it to output at least to the 720p HD, that is a very interesting proposition (well to me anyway!).

Smart TVs are brilliant but having a recordable box that can provide Freeview channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime, NOW TV, catch up players and a rental/purchase service (BT Player), all in one place will be interesting to many I would bet.

0 Ratings