Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 14

NowTV streaming quality codes

Go to solution

Has anyone figured out what the different codes mean on the App?? On some stuff I get 128 but it's clearly in HD and other times it's 7*** etc etc ? Muchos grasias mi amigos

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: NowTV streaming quality codes

Go to solution

@NigelB72 

I think someone over on the Now TV Forum suggested 128 might equate to something about 720p and the 7*** thing might be more like 1080p, but what about all the other numbers in between?????

You sort of think a number as low as 128 would be a pixelated mess, but as you say, 128 seems like a normal 720p picture to me.  I don't have boost but the picture through the App on my dtr2100 seems identical to through the App on my Now TV Stick, but yes, what do all those stream quality numbers mean??????

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

I don't know why they don't just do the same as either Netflix or Amazon do and show the bandwidth and resolution or version playing...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@NigelB72 

Must admit that I've never used Netflix or Amazon, so I've never seen how they do it....the other day I watched a catch-up show on Fox and that was 128 and it seemed like good normal 720 picture to me, then watched something from Discovery that was 1516 and that seemed all very normal too????  What was the difference?? Would be interesting to know what all these different values mean.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

I'd just figured the codes out when streaming through the PS4 but the Youview app ones are different. They seem to vary between devices but I wouldn't expect Sky to make things easy 😂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Presumably the codes vary during the course of a viewing depending on a whole heap of factors, most of which you can't control?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@Longshanks0511 it'd be nice to know how they relate to the quality and resolution of the stream though rather than just being random numbers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@NigelB72wrote:

@Longshanks0511 it'd be nice to know how they relate to the quality and resolution of the stream though rather than just being random numbers

Agreed - maybe they're just like error codes which we're not meant to understand!

Resolution and Frame Speed/Rate seem to be the main factors, although consistency and reliability over a period of time, rather than just a snapshot number, are really important.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

128 is the audio quality

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution