cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Midnight_Voice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

NowTV via BT TV - Pros and Cons?

Hi - I’m trying to enumerate the pros and cons of taking NowTV via BT TV or independently, but there are a few things I’ve heard that may or may not be true, and a few things I don’t seem to be able to find an answer to, on either BT’s or NowTV’s website.

Please note the following list isn’t exhaustive - just the things I am trying to clarify. 

With BT TV you can record NowTV from the live channels; but I have heard that recordings expire when the corresponding content expires on NowTV itself, i.e. the same time a download would expire. Is this the case, or do recordings last for as long as you have the corresponding subscription?

To which the supplementary is if I cancel a certain type of Pass for a month or two, do you still regard me as subscribed to that Pass until I pick up again, just at zero cost and zero service in the interim?

My understanding is also that with a Pass subscription to NowTV via BT TV, you cannot:-

buy and use a voucher for that type of Pass, such as from Curry’s, which is rather cheaper than the standard subscription;

or use any vouchers for that type of Pass that come bundled with a Smart Stick that you might buy in order to have NowTV in another room (though the Stick itself will be just fine);

I think I have read the above somewhere, but I cannot for the life of me find it again.

Also, NowTV quite often have special offers,  but can you take advantage of any of them? Unless, presumably, BT TV mirror them? e.g. Last year NowTV had a Formula 1 Season Pass?  If so, are you planning to mirror some or all of them?

I am also guessing, though nobody has said it anywhere I’ve seen, that when you Cancel a NowTV pass - which you can still do, even with BT TV - you aren’t going to get a retention offer; normally NowTV will come back with a lower price, to tempt you to keep on with the Pass.

And as above, your subscription to that type of pass, even though running at zero while you do not have a live one, stays with BT, so you can only renew, if you want to start it again, with BT. Unless you unsubscribe that Pass with BT TV that is. At which point, your recordings from that Pass die, if indeed they haven’t already.

Summarising, it seems that BT TV subscribers to NowTV need to be aware that the price of having the recordable NowTV channels is that they will be paying full price for every NowTV Pass they have now and have in the future, and which they can only get from BT.

Which is a trade-off they may well be willing to make, for the ease of subscription and for the sheer joy of having a human on the end of a phone line for NowTV support, something that is denied to regular NowTV subscribers who only have an online Chat help service, a cause of considerable frustration to them.

But is that a fair summary, or have I got any of the above wrong?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Hooba
Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: NowTV via BT TV - Pros and Cons?

"Summarising, it seems that BT TV subscribers to NowTV need to be aware that the price of having the recordable NowTV channels is that they will be paying full price for every NowTV Pass they have now and have in the future, and which they can only get from BT."

Yes, and no.

The full price of Sky Ents, Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Boost, BT Sport - if bought at full price direct from NowTV & BT comes in at about £83 I think. Or can be bought as a single package through BT for £60. So taking a package like that isn't really paying full price.

Whether it 'works' to pick up a package like this, or to stick with buying individual passes , depends on what you want I guess. And how much of what you watch on TV. And, as said, whether you want the convenience of stuff like someone on the end of a phone etc.

I tend to view the BT offering as sitting in the middle of picking up passes as and when, and a full Sky contract. I've done a lot of both over the years - but really like the flexibility of the BT packages. BT TV is neither Sky, nor NowTV, so direct price comparisons only work to a certain extent.

0 Ratings